• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
27 27

9,335 posts in this topic

Keep them coming, Scrooge. Even though I sold off most of my Battleground issues, I did keep the #1. The Maneely quad-fifties on the half-track cover is one of my favorite. During the Korean war, this was our answer to the chinese human assault waves. A great book to read on the K-war is "The Forgotten War" by Clay Blair which vividly describes these type of battles.I also still have my Revell quad-fifties half-track model I built 40 years ago.

Keep them coming, Scrooge. Even though I sold off most of my Battleground issues, I did keep the #1. The Maneely quad-fifties on the half-track cover is one of my favorite. During the Korean war, this was our answer to the chinese human assault waves. A great book to read on the K-war is "The Forgotten War" by Clay Blair which vividly describes these type of battles.I also still have my Revell quad-fifties half-track model I built 40 years ago.

Were the wave attacks informally called "banzai charges" by the Korean war vets? I'm curious how the writer of the story I've posted could have gotten it so wrong; i.e., the Chinese never yelled "Banzai!"

Edited by rockman2008

:bump: from RJ about a month back on this issue. :thumbsup:

Banzai's literal meaning in Japanese is "ten thousand years (of life)" - and the full phrase in WW2 was "Tennouheika Banzai!" - meaning roughly "Long live the Emperor". The word is used as an all purpose victory cheer (i.e. sporting events), not just a battle cry. The Korean equivalent is "Manse" - which was used in chants by the Koreans during their ill-fated 1919 Independence Movement from Japan. The Chinese equivalent is "Wan-sui", and in similar fashion, was included in victory chants after the Japanese had been driven from China in 1945.

There are first-hand reports of American soldiers hearing the "Banzai" war cry during human wave attacks in Korea. They were probably hearing "Manse" or "Wan-sui" and conflating it with the well-known Japanese cry of "Banzai" used in similar attacks at the end of WW2.

No, they were not considered "banzai" or suicide charges. This was a fighting tactic of the chinese armies since they lacked close air support, no tanks and little artillery.

They specialized in fighting under cover of darkness using whistles, bugles and horns

to demoralize and frighten their enemy. The tactics were simple, frontal assaults on revealed positions, infiltration and ambushes to cut the enemy's rear, and massed manpower attacks on open flanks of their enemy. War correspondents, at the time, described the attacking waves as a "human sea" or "swarm of locusts". It must have been an absolutely frightening ordeal.

Here's my new addition. Loved this cover ever since Scrooge posted a copy :)

That's a while since I bought my copy from Al Stoltz in August 2005 for $32 :screwy: Must have been when I was grabbing any copy of the books I needed when I saw them.

AdventuresintoWeirdWorlds4.jpg

I missed out on a copy on eBay around that time thinking it was missing a piece on the cover b/c the coloring on the end of the yellow rays on the right edge change color and it looked on eBay that some piece was missing ... which it wasn't. Oh well. The copy above has served me well :)

I have it in my file as a G+ in grade. About right, no?

I'd be ok with G+. How's the innards?

Story content is terrific!