• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,319 posts in this topic

Everett LOVED the sea. There's a bit about that in the book about him, FIRE & WATER, which I really recommend.

And Dr. Love comes through again with the killer romace books! Love 'em!

+1 not my collecting interest, but wow! What great covers.

Especially like the Lovers cover with the carousel! (thumbs u

Cool romance books, Dr! This one struck me (in a good way) as having a Baker sensibility.

Loves81fc101_zps3b8a7708.jpg

Cool romance books, Dr! This one struck me (in a good way) as having a Baker sensibility.

Loves81fc101_zps3b8a7708.jpg

.... a lot of people insist on calling Colletta a hack.... but they OBVIOUSLY have never seen his Atlas romance output. Some of the strongest images in the genre in my opinion. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I see some of his influence in the occasional uncredited war story for Atlas also....

.... a lot of people insist on calling Colletta a hack.... but they OBVIOUSLY have never seen his Atlas romance output. Some of the strongest images in the genre in my opinion. GOD BLESS...

Amen to what jimbo said. Vinnie C. was one of the major contributors to the genre. While Colletta produced much of his own complete covers, when he inked Kirby's pencils, as reportedly in the beautiful My Own Romance 62, it worked to both artists' benefit.

MyOwnRomance62fc100_zps6dc86376.jpg

And here's Colletta on his own.

GirlConfessions35fc100_zps2f9ff1ef.jpg

MyLoveStory05fc100_zpsde02be48.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

..... my good buddy, Gene Carpenter has several REAL nice Atlas romances in his inventory. I look through them every time I see them and sooner or later I'll end up with one...... there's nothing much more striking than a deep blue Colletta moonlight cover in high grade...... GOD BLESS...

P.S. Post all the Atlas romance you want..... I LOVE that stuff......

And while you guys have been most generous in providing a warm reception to these books, I fear my time here is running short. The undead of horror and the dead of war are close behind!

Bill Everett is revered in this forum, and rightly so. Though his talent was large, in romance, his cover output was, shall we say, small. Here's most of it. Enjoy!

LoveRomances70fc100_zpsc856d2af.jpg

MyOwnRomance58fc100_zps16aeba84.jpg

SecretStoryRomances05fc100_zpsf130428a.jpg

OK, twist my arm jimbo! One last one, then - the Timely/Atlas romance holy grail, Girl Comics 3. This is as good a copy as I've ever found in many years of looking.

GirlComics03fc100_zps3623e29e-1.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

OK, twist my arm jimbo! One last one, then - the Timely/Atlas romance holy grail, Girl Comics 3. This is as good a copy as I've ever found in many years of looking.

GirlComics03fc100_zps3623e29e-1.jpg

.... never saw that one..... GOD BLESS....

Amen to what jimbo said. Vinnie C. was one of the major contributors to the genre. While Colletta produced much of his own complete covers, when he inked Kirby's pencils, as reportedly in the beautiful My Own Romance 62, it worked to both artists' benefit.

I can easily see Kirby involvement but I wonder just how much there. Regardless, as you noted, it turned out well.

MyOwnRomance62.jpg

I'd never seen those Everett Romance covers before. Thanks for posting Dr. Love.

Some books really pop in high grade, generally those that have more subtle cover art. With a Schomburg war cover or pre-code horror book the graphics tend to be naturally eye-catching and condition is less critical to appreciation of the art IMHO, but a lot of Atom Age romance books I haven't really appreciated until seeing the beautiful copies posted here and in other threads.

I can easily see Kirby involvement but I wonder just how much there. Regardless, as you noted, it turned out well.

MyOwnRomance62.jpg

The face of the girl leaning against the tree seems very Kirbyish.

The face of the girl leaning against the tree seems very Kirbyish.
That's the most Kirbyesque part of the cover. (thumbs u

..... didn't she also appear on the one titled "I was EVERYBODY'S girlfriend" ? GOD BLESS...

MYDIARY2.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in

Marvel had some great photo covers. Goodman went for a niche somewhere between Fawcett's slice of apple pie photo covers and Fox's racy drawn covers. That often resulted in suggestive titles, amusing dialogue balloons, interesting photo treatments (sepia, for example), and just plain weird shots.

Thanks for the thread time, gents (and ladies, few though you might be)!

LoveRomances11fc100_zpsda51beea.jpg

MyOwnRomance04fc100_zps1233e6aa.jpg

MyLove03fc100_zps4b23cae7.jpg

CowboyRomances03fc100_zps156f2bd5.jpg

LoveTales40fc100_zpsc66d4476.jpg

MyOwnRomance11fc100_zpsc7dc3b6c.jpg

...... a love that wasn't meant to be..... maybe he just came from the wrong side of the tracks..... GOD BLESS...

101_2728.jpg

My favorite suspense cover! Just love the detail in the zombie!

I really liked when Everett got all that detail into the face such as this cover too...

AdventuresIntoWeirdWorlds18.jpg