• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,319 posts in this topic

Everett sure enjoyed drawing submariner covers :applause:

NavyAction16.jpg

NavyAction16.jpg

..... GOD how I want your copy :frustrated: ...... sell it to me (worship) ..... for small rectangular..... wait a minute.... this ain't gonna work is it ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Pedigree ?

.... an odd combination of Bill Everett and Don Heck.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Makes sense, Everett was a strong inker, and sometimes overwhelmed the pencils of other artists, but I guess his style is so different from Heck's that I didn't see either one at first.

Makes sense, Everett was a strong inker, and sometimes overwhelmed the pencils of other artists, but I guess his style is so different from Heck's that I didn't see either one at first.

...to me the Everett is most notable in the background..... I'm thinking Heck inks.... but www.atlastales.com isn't certain.... only attributed. GOD BLESS...

There's no question of a Heck influence on the foreground figures (especially the faces) but I'm not sure whether Heck was actually involved or not. The rest of the pencils/inks look pure Everett to me and the expression on the unconscious one is typical of Everett (notices how the mouth forms an asymmetric expression).

It could be that there was a collaboration of sorts but it's also plausible that Everett was impressed with Heck's style and integrated it into this one image. In the early 50s there were a small number of stories where I think Everett was influenced by Wolverton ("Frankie Was Afraid" "Cartoonist's Calamity").

Just snagged this in a PointFive sales thread..... been looking for a Fine for a while..... awesome Everett :cloud9:

navycombat8.jpg

NavyAction16.jpg

Thanks for posting these awesome books. (thumbs u

Being an "old salt" myself they are memory reminders of glory days gone by. :cloud9:

Hey, adamstrange! Your book… is that baby the River City copy?

There's no question of a Heck influence on the foreground figures (especially the faces) but I'm not sure whether Heck was actually involved or not. The rest of the pencils/inks look pure Everett to me and the expression on the unconscious one is typical of Everett (notices how the mouth forms an asymmetric expression).

It could be that there was a collaboration of sorts but it's also plausible that Everett was impressed with Heck's style and integrated it into this one image. In the early 50s there were a small number of stories where I think Everett was influenced by Wolverton ("Frankie Was Afraid" "Cartoonist's Calamity").

.... another possibility..... Torpedo Taylor was Heck's strip and he may have added the faces in the foreground for continuity's sake..... but like you, I see a LOT of Everett in it .... such a dramatic cover..... it's a shame he didn't do more War covers, but then, the Severin's are a great consolation. GOD BLESS....

Hey, adamstrange! Your book… is that baby the River City copy?
(thumbs u

such a dramatic cover.....
(thumbs u I wish I had a high grade copy of it.

I think Fine IS high grade for Atlas :insane: GOD BLESS....

P.S. Question...... how well represented was Atlas war in the River City hoard ?

Not quite sure how to answer that. If you count pre & post code I think there are 600+ different Atlas war issues and I haven't a clue as to what percentage of those were in the RC collection. I saw box after box of RCs which weren't very organized so don't have a good sense of how many total Atlas war copies there were. It was more than 100 but whether it was 200 or 600 I couldn't say.