• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White pages vs. off white pages
2 2

34 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I collect mostly GA books, and I accept WHITE or OFF-WHITE-TO-WHITE pages. I will accept OFF-WHITE for books in old-label holders because CGC was stricter back in the old-label days. I will occasionally accept OFF-WHITE for newer slabs, but only if I think WHITE or OW/W is unobtainable for a particular issue.

Then you must not have a lot of G.A. books,  white pages can be a bit of a challenge.

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

What about rare stuff? 

For rare stuff I'd accept OFF-WHITE . . . maybe even CREAM-TO-OFF-WHITE for true unicorns like Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 or Jumbo Comics #7. I wouldn't accept LT/OW or SLIGHTLY BRITTLE for any book; I'd rather do without.

Edited by jimbo_7071

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

Then you must not have a lot of G.A. books,  white pages can be a bit of a challenge.

I have a very small slabbed GA collection. I only buy a handful of books each year, but I target books with nice pages. I do have a couple of C/OW books, but those are books that I've had since the 80s, so they have sentimental value.

https://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?Order=Date&Page=1&GSub=2266

Edited by jimbo_7071

IIRC, there are Golden Age pedigrees with OW or worse typical page quality, CR-OW, such as the Crippen books, rather than the White page freshness of the Edgar Church copies. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

38 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

IIRC, there are Golden Age pedigrees with OW or worse typical page quality, CR-OW, such as the Crippen books, rather than the White page freshness of the Edgar Church copies. 

Some of the Crippen books have very nice pages, especially the ones that were stolen and sold off before the others. There are many pedigrees with so-so pages, though. Denver, Allentown, Recil Macon, Cookeville, and Rockford all fall into that category. There's a Silver Age pedigree, Savannah, with really crummy pages.

On 3/13/2020 at 2:39 PM, tomi1 said:

Let's say you are looking to purchase a 9.8 of a comic you are collecting for a set, are you looking for only white pages or are off white pages acceptable to you? Just curious if some are paying a premium for white pages over off white pages. Thanks

since CGC seems to be basically blind, and grading in fluorescent light, I can't seem to tell the difference without cracking the book out.