• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2020 March Madness - Round of 12
3 3

136 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Asianassassincomics said:

Grades are in! This was another tough round. Oakman you could've gotten me!

I'm a long time lurker of the boards. But don't post much, mostly to buy or sell comics. I read a ton of threads and the information here is super helpful and fascinating. 

I'm down in San Diego so attend most of the conventions around here in So Cal. The comic community really is a small world.  

Apparently you are a damn good grader.

4 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Apparently you are a damn good grader.

Shhh....don't jinx it and thank you for the compliment. 

Look at you though, you've had the highest round between us! You're a worthy opponent for sure.

There's still one general defect that I'm terrible with assessing properly within the technical grade and I think everyone has their defect kryptonite when grading. 

1 hour ago, trmoore54 said:

Ditto. :pullhair:

I'm the same. I don't know if they are going to hammer the moderns mercilessly like they seem to have done in the past or be more forgiving like they seem to be with the S.A. and G.A..

I was just thinking...how many of us on the boards here remember trying to grade comics back in the 70's,80's and early 90's, before the grading guides and CGC? All we really had to go by were the written descriptions in the OPG. I remember reading line by line in those definitions and looking at my comics, trying to put them into the categories. It was kinda tough back then. Certain defects would really knock a book down. I don't remember there being much forgiveness back then. From the current grading guide: "Certain defects allowed if other defects are not present" was not the case back in those days as I recall.

2 hours ago, flashlites said:

I was just thinking...how many of us on the boards here remember trying to grade comics back in the 70's,80's and early 90's, before the grading guides and CGC? All we really had to go by were the written descriptions in the OPG. I remember reading line by line in those definitions and looking at my comics, trying to put them into the categories. It was kinda tough back then. Certain defects would really knock a book down. I don't remember there being much forgiveness back then. From the current grading guide: "Certain defects allowed if other defects are not present" was not the case back in those days as I recall.

How old are you? lol.

I also remember rotary telephones, 8-tracks, cassettes and laser disc players.

But I also remember ordering comics through the mail sight unseen just from a price sheet typed up on a typewriter! :roflmao: 

5 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

So I see it now as part of the deal of collecting-- being able to accurately grade is a good skill for any collector. There are definite changes in the levels we go to describe and allow certain levels of condition. I think it is for the better in general - and has helped me get a better understanding of comic collecting in general.

It has been great for the hobby! Its more accurate now, well defined, less room for argument. Before CGC grading was kinda like the wild west.  

14 minutes ago, flashlites said:

It has been great for the hobby! Its more accurate now, well defined, less room for argument. Before CGC grading was kinda like the wild west.  

All kidding aside...I agree that it’s better now

7 hours ago, Kramerica said:

Go Oakman Go Go Go!

You're our hero Fo Fo Sho

Grade those books you sexy man

Get those bullseyes Bam Bam Bam

Beat the opponent whose name you can't pronounce

Make it happen trounce trounce trounce

Now that I've run out of rhymes

Have some raunchy good good times

Image result for cheerleader gifs

My kinda cheerleaders.🥰