• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My shop's open... but should it be?

56 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bookery said:

I don't see how having me or my employees running packages to the post office is any better.  And if I do close... a couple of us will still have to stay at the shop to keep receiving shipments from UPS/PO/FedEx.  Diamond shipments will still be showing up every Tuesday.  Game shipments come in on various of the rest of the days.  The point I'm asking is... should the industry... comic publishers and distributors ease off for awhile, giving us shops more leeway in being able to close if we wish?

It certainly would be helpful if the industry did stop shipping and delayed producing new material.  I can't imagine owning a small business right now with this whole thing to deal with.  Best of luck trying to navigate it.

5 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Do pickup.  You only need 1 person. 

And yes,  diamond should be helping you out... but will they... likely not.  They don't care. 

I'm not going to do pickup.  It keeps folks out of the shop (ours is quite large and roomy) but doesn't do anything for handling product, money, credit cards, etc.  If one doesn't already have a supply of gloves (which need changed with every transaction) and masks, you certainly can't get them around here at this point.  We just got the announcement that the first Corona case has appeared at the airforce base just down the road from us.  Tomorrow I will let the staff know we are closing.  But one of us will still have to hang around for product deliveries.  I likely also, after 36 years, will announce we are getting out of new comics.  Between this and all of the industry games -- making major issue announcements after the order cut-off date, doing stuff like with Walking Dead, boatloads of product the public doesn't like, too many titles, customers mad at us because we're sold out of product 10-minutes after we open because of surprise announcements and demand... it's just too much.  The comic industry has treated me like a fool for years.  It's time to cut it off.  I can survive as a collectibles shop only... but some of my staff will lose their jobs.

1 hour ago, Bookery said:

I probably made a mistake with the thread title, because so far no one has commented on the key issue I'm raising.  Every shop is different.  It's not about my specific situation... I'm using my store as a point of reference.  Should Marvel-DC-Diamond-etc. be taking proactive measures?  They've already postponed FCBD.  Should they go the next step further?  Is a continuing influx of product ordered weeks or months ago making it difficult for shops to do the right thing?

I was trying to think about this from Marvel-DC-Diamond's point of view-  asking them to stop producing is asking them to stop paying their staff, or absorb the losses that come from paying their staff to do nothing.  But that might be exactly what is needed, not only within this niche industry, but across the entire economy.  Below is a link to what Denmark is starting to do: basically send all the workers home, the government pays them a high percentage of their current salary for doing nothing, but they remain on the employment rolls of their current employer, so they don't succumb to the depression of being unemployed and unconnected from the workforce, and-- importantly from the employers' point of view-- they remain available for the inevitable ramp-up.  Otherwise people slowly get laid off, social unrest grows as unemployment reaches Great Depression levels, and then when the virus is contained or burns through the population, companies have to start up the hiring process from zero, slowing down the eventual recovery.

Denmark puts its economy in the deep freeze, waiting for the thaw that will come

35 minutes ago, Bookery said:

I'm not going to do pickup.  It keeps folks out of the shop (ours is quite large and roomy) but doesn't do anything for handling product, money, credit cards, etc.  If one doesn't already have a supply of gloves (which need changed with every transaction) and masks, you certainly can't get them around here at this point.  We just got the announcement that the first Corona case has appeared at the airforce base just down the road from us.  Tomorrow I will let the staff know we are closing.  But one of us will still have to hang around for product deliveries.  I likely also, after 36 years, will announce we are getting out of new comics.  Between this and all of the industry games -- making major issue announcements after the order cut-off date, doing stuff like with Walking Dead, boatloads of product the public doesn't like, too many titles, customers mad at us because we're sold out of product 10-minutes after we open because of surprise announcements and demand... it's just too much.  The comic industry has treated me like a fool for years.  It's time to cut it off.  I can survive as a collectibles shop only... but some of my staff will lose their jobs.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I was referring to my last post.  I meant do UPS pickup for mail orders... tell your regular customers that you will mail their boxes to them for a flat rate and have 1 employee do it... He/she can pack up all the comics with gloves, and then have UPS pick up to ship it.  Customers pay with paypal.

That being said; it sounds like you already have a game plan... probably a good idea to get out of new comics if the industry is  not helping you...

Unfortunately, all of us are making hard decisions because the virus was not contained early on... first by the Chinese and then the USA also had their chance to contain it early in Washington, NYC, etc... but we were caught with our pants down.... so we are paying the repercussions....

59 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Do you have a website?  Maybe you can make the announcement of adding mail in orders.  It's not hurting to do that.  MCS does that everyday since 1961 and is still opening in fully operational.

Edited by JollyComics

25 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I was trying to think about this from Marvel-DC-Diamond's point of view-  asking them to stop producing is asking them to stop paying their staff, or absorb the losses that come from paying their staff to do nothing.  But that might be exactly what is needed, not only within this niche industry, but across the entire economy.  Below is a link to what Denmark is starting to do: basically send all the workers home, the government pays them a high percentage of their current salary for doing nothing, but they remain on the employment rolls of their current employer, so they don't succumb to the depression of being unemployed and unconnected from the workforce, and-- importantly from the employers' point of view-- they remain available for the inevitable ramp-up.  Otherwise people slowly get laid off, social unrest grows as unemployment reaches Great Depression levels, and then when the virus is contained or burns through the population, companies have to start up the hiring process from zero, slowing down the eventual recovery.

Denmark puts its economy in the deep freeze, waiting for the thaw that will come

Marvel/Disney has the money. The shops don't. 

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

I was trying to think about this from Marvel-DC-Diamond's point of view-  asking them to stop producing is asking them to stop paying their staff, or absorb the losses that come from paying their staff to do nothing.  But that might be exactly what is needed, not only within this niche industry, but across the entire economy. 

I can understand Diamond's dilemma... they probably aren't all that cash-wealthy, and besides, Marvel and DC keep shipping the product to them that they've pre-ordered, just like us.  Marvel (Disney) and DC (AT&T) can surely afford a few weeks delivery stoppage.  Disney has already shut down all other facets of their entertainment business... just not comics.

37 minutes ago, the blob said:

Ohio just ordered shelter in place? That kind of decides for you, no?

Maybe if he started selling keyboards and mice like Gamestop?

49 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Yes.  Should be national quarantine soon.... did u see the number of total cases in NY today? Glad they are testing everyone... then u know who to warn ( close contacts)

Yes. Went from 10kish to 15kish in one day. 100k by next weekend seems likely. And if we don't get our shyt together 1 mllion in 2 weekends. I have no reason to leave the house/  yard for 2 weeks unless my job orders me in on 3/31 when my 2 week work from home assignment wraps up

Edited by the blob

17 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Yes.  Should be national quarantine soon.... did u see the number of total cases in NY today? Glad they are testing everyone... then u know who to warn ( close contacts)

Yeah I live in NY and I'm not doing any traveling besides going to work.

Edited by BigDaddy1

4 hours ago, Bookery said:

I don't see how having me or my employees running packages to the post office is any better.  And if I do close... a couple of us will still have to stay at the shop to keep receiving shipments from UPS/PO/FedEx.  Diamond shipments will still be showing up every Tuesday.  Game shipments come in on various of the rest of the days.  The point I'm asking is... should the industry... comic publishers and distributors ease off for awhile, giving us shops more leeway in being able to close if we wish?

I would think you can adjust your hours some, but we are not there yet that you need to close. Have your employees where gloves
for their safety and have some hand sanitizer and your good. Your state will dictate if you stay open or not. I think its coming in all
state especially if you have an area with a heavy population density. 

You can also do a sale thread here as a way to get more funds. I wish you were closer to me maybe this summer or fall I will visit.

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Ohio just ordered shelter in place? That kind of decides for you, no?

Yep.  I was just calling my employees when I heard about the order.  I think when a case appeared at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, that was the tipping point for the governor.  Now a U.S. Senator has tested positive as well.