• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My shop's open... but should it be?

56 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Bookery said:

Yep.  I was just calling my employees when I heard about the order.  I think when a case appeared at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, that was the tipping point for the governor.  Now a U.S. Senator has tested positive as well.

Its ironic one of the senators holding up the relief bill is the first that tests positive.

3 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I would think you can adjust your hours some, but we are not there yet that you need to close. Have your employees where gloves
for their safety and have some hand sanitizer and your good. Your state will dictate if you stay open or not. I think its coming in all
state especially if you have an area with a heavy population density. 

You can also do a sale thread here as a way to get more funds. I wish you were closer to me maybe this summer or fall I will visit.

State just did, even as I was posting earlier.  Short-term funds aren't a problem with me.  I suspect both Diamond and the Big Two will permit delayed payments.  That's not the problem, either.  The problem is long-term, if product is still being produced and available in some states, or by mail-order, but not in others, those in shut-down states will lose business not just now, but forever, per my reasoning in prior posts.

Now that one Senator has tested positive, guidelines say anyone in contact with him should stay home for two weeks.  The Senate doesn't allow remote votes so it seems Paul will get his wish after all and there will be no aid package. If somebody wrote this as a novel, it would be rejected as unrealistic.

What sort of goes to a gym full of senior citizens after having a test.

1 minute ago, shadroch said:

Now that one Senator has tested positive, guidelines say anyone in contact with him should stay home for two weeks.  The Senate doesn't allow remote votes so it seems Paul will get his wish after all and there will be no aid package. If somebody wrote this as a novel, it would be rejected as unrealistic.

What sort of goes to a gym full of senior citizens after having a test.

One that gets punched by his neighbor over stupid stuff

15 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Arizona had four cases last Sunday, with no deaths. Today,its at 152 and 2 deaths.

And likely 1500 by next weekend and 10-20k the weekend after that

36 minutes ago, Bookery said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that I announce I was closing my shop, and only an hour later the governor shuts down the state.  He likely was reading this thread.  Goes to show you, that if you run a large comic shop, the powerful take notice to what you do!

Ha, ha.  You may have more power and influence than you think!  :)

All joking aside, my take from your initial question was that the industry (Marvel, DC and perhaps the other content producers) have, unfortunately, appeared to be tone deaf to the plight of local shops.  Maybe, just maybe, that will change and the flow of new product may be halted or slowed during this period of madness. 

Sorry to hear you have to close but, as others have said, it is for the best.  And I am really sorry to hear you have decided (or likely will decide) to stop carrying new comics.  I hope you wait until the New Warriors comes out, I am sure that title will save the industry :sick: 

Take care, and good luck! 

12 minutes ago, DWL said:

And I am really sorry to hear you have decided (or likely will decide) to stop carrying new comics.  I hope you wait until the New Warriors comes out, I am sure that title will save the industry :sick: 

Forgot about NW.  That's a game-changer... I'm staying in!

Seriously... on the fence about continuing to carry them.  Part of it's frustration... so obviously not smart to make a final decision right now.  New Comics are a loss-leader... we already don't really make any money on them.  But if you get rid of them, do customers stop coming in to buy other stuff... supplies, gaming, collectibles?  Don't know.  I also don't want to let any of my staff go.  All have been with me at least 10 years, some twice that.  We have slashed what orders we can, however.  Mostly files and just a few copies for the wall with latest order adjustments.  Of course I whine about my situation... but there are many shops, especially small ones, that will be hit even harder.  There's a pretty good chance this shut-down will end up going on beyond April 6.

Just bunker down and forget about the long term. Right now we should be working on fire breaks, not worrying about what will happen when the fire is put out. Go home and keep your loved ones there.

On 3/22/2020 at 6:27 PM, Bookery said:

Forgot about NW.  That's a game-changer... I'm staying in!

Seriously... on the fence about continuing to carry them.  Part of it's frustration... so obviously not smart to make a final decision right now.  New Comics are a loss-leader... we already don't really make any money on them.  But if you get rid of them, do customers stop coming in to buy other stuff... supplies, gaming, collectibles?  Don't know.  I also don't want to let any of my staff go.  All have been with me at least 10 years, some twice that.  We have slashed what orders we can, however.  Mostly files and just a few copies for the wall with latest order adjustments.  Of course I whine about my situation... but there are many shops, especially small ones, that will be hit even harder.  There's a pretty good chance this shut-down will end up going on beyond April 6.

For most other shops new comics pay the rent, so I guess you are unusual

If I'm going to criticize, then I also have to offer praise when it's due.  Diamond stepped up to the plate and just announced that after this week's shipment, they are suspending all other shipments until further notice.  For those of us in states with mandatory lock-downs, this is a big help.  I will be sending full payment to Diamond (and Alliance) for this week's orders, even though we can't sell them right now.  They have to be hurting too... Disney and AT&T can weather this... comics are a minuscule part of their operations... but this is all Diamond has.  I'm assuming they have enough clout (pretty much the only means of distribution) that they can hold off payments to Marvel and DC as well.  I suspect most of us can handle this shutdown for a couple of weeks, however painful it may be.  If it runs longer than that, then things will begin to get pretty sketchy for lots of small business throughout the nation.