• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2020 vision and SDCC predictions.

42 posts in this topic

We’re past the Ides of March and about to enter the idles of April, with our homebound reality a required part of any near future speculation.  While easing social distancing is being predicted by May or June, there is no definitive date for businesses reopening and real world normalcy for crowd gathering shouldn’t be expected overnight.  This Covid-19 pandemic’s downward curve will probably be measured in months, not days.  So, given that hypothetical, social distancing to a greater or lesser degree will still be with us for the foreseeable future.  

SDCC is the antithesis of social distancing.  There is no bigger cultural Petri dish of broad base, wide spread fan activity on the planet to my knowledge.  No one who loves fandom wants to see this event postponed for months or shut down for a year, but in practical terms this is something that the organizers must be mulling over right now.  My crystal ball is hazy on this, but as a GA collector and a participant in SDCC for many years, I do have some constructive ideas.  They may sound crazy, but hear me out.

How about a virtual SDCC for those days the con would’ve run if in fact it’s cancelled?  By this, I’m suggesting dealers putting up a virtual or real wall of comics for sale that fans can go to and peruse.  Perhaps a live Skype with dealers or You Tube presentation.  Who knows if this is possible, but it’s an idea. Hey, you can bring in your own scantily clad cos-players to distract and block the views of book browsers.  OK, that’s probably too far, but you get the general idea.

Here’s a game changing idea that I think could be a winner if we’re still under lockdown, but we’ll have to get Peter on board to pull it off. How about a virtual Rare High Grade party? Those of us who’ve regularly attended Peter’s wonderful gathering in the past could share views of our favorite collected books on the usual SDCC Friday night from our homes, while observing social distancing.  We’d have to provide our own brews pizza and camera or filmed images, but it could work! Alan, the Adam Strange mask is optional.

These are just some of the crazy/inspired ideas that have popped into my head of late.  Blame it on cabin fever, too much coffee or waaaay too much good ale, but what do you think?

:tink:

Would love a virtual Rare High Grade party. That is always a highlight for me on these Boards. I live in NY so i wouldn't be attending SDCC anyways.

I do however attend NYCC from time to time, but I agree with RM, that even if they do put on a NYCC one this year, i would skip it as there are too many possible negative variable unless there is a vaccine by then. 

SDCC will almost certainly not occur -- at least not in the way it has before -- unless a vaccine is completed and tested more quickly than one ever has before.

Even if that were to occur, so many people would be staying away out of an excess of caution that, well, you might have an easy time getting into Hall H for the first time in a decade or so.  

The comics and science fiction fan and gaming communities already make use of the internet on social media and interactive role and game playing far more than any other revenue-generating leisure activity, so if were a comic con exec I'd be toying with ways to create a con that's either all-virtual or some sort of hybrid virtual and real-space.  If the convention center is not converted into a hospital it will be empty, so some limited use of it, coupled with some huge innovations with interactive web activity, could yield an interesting experience, especially if it involved online previews (and even premieres?), big stars talking with groups of people online in real time, taking questions, etc.   

It won't make the same kind of money for San Diego, and most likely not for the comic con org, but if I were them I'd be cooking up something.

Edited by bluechip

Great idea.... 

that is exactly what I am talking about in GA community. I think something is better than nothing.

SDCC and all other comic cons are done for the year. Until, movie theaters reopen... first in China is the test..125,000 people are not getting together in one crowded place for quite some time. I am optimistic that it will be back next year. This event roll out will Happen gradually and with proper care.

i think the CGC GA community should sent a joint message to SDCC and NYCC with your suggestions. Let’s do it 

53 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I predict there will be no SDCC this year nor should there be. Even if things get better there is no guarantee this can not come back. I predict there won’t be any other events like this this year. Anyone who puts one on is playing with fire and is very irresponsible. As is anyone who attends an event like this. 

I don’t go anymore anyway for a number of reasons. But even if I did, I wouldn’t go anyway. I’m good with it. Right now buying comics is real low on my list. My entire priority list is drastically changed. About all that is important to me is my family and my friends who I miss deeply. 

“Viritual” comic shows don’t cut it for me. But for some, I guess it does. That is cool for those who think it works for them. I go there to dig boxes. I can’t even imagine that right now. 

I think this year is a wash. Get used to it.  If they should come up with an effective vaccine maybe. Until then, Robot out...

My inclination is to agree with the viewpoint that SDCC should go on hiatus until the coronavirus crisis is resolved completely.  The virtual convention idea isn’t new, but creative implementation as a real world alternative to physical crowding in a pandemic makes some serious sense.  All I’m trying to do is create a positive environment in this thread for folks to bounce ideas.  

You’re right that things are bad and we should all be focusing on family first and foremost.  Absolutely, social gatherings should be avoided until there’s a viable vaccine.  That said, since we’re all connected by our love of comics, maybe we can find a few silver lining alternatives to total isolation when Mother Nature kicks our backsides.  Technology can keep us connected, so why not investigate creative ways of using it? Some ideas may have both social and economic value until things get back to normal.

:tink:

No matter how quickly this gets better, there is no world in which the Governor of CA allows 100K people to gather by July.  However, the Torpedo show scheduled the week before in LA has not been cancelled yet and I'd say that's still a 50/50 chance on happening.  Time will tell...No matter how quickly this gets better, there is no world in which the Governor of CA allows 100K people to gather by July.  However, the Torpedo show scheduled the week before in LA has not been cancelled yet and I'd say that's still a 50/50 chance on happening.  Time will tell...

2 minutes ago, dem1138 said:

No matter how quickly this gets better, there is no world in which the Governor of CA allows 100K people to gather by July.  However, the Torpedo show scheduled the week before in LA has not been cancelled yet and I'd say that's still a 50/50 chance on happening.  Time will tell...No matter how quickly this gets better, there is no world in which the Governor of CA allows 100K people to gather by July.  However, the Torpedo show scheduled the week before in LA has not been cancelled yet and I'd say that's still a 50/50 chance on happening.  Time will tell...

If SDCC isn’t happening how many dealers would be at Torpedoes show anyway. A lot of them hit it as a matter of doing the SD show. I don’t believe even small shows like that will happen though. This is not a short term kind of thing and Newsom has been taking a pretty good lead in making sure his state was the first to lock down. I don’t see him getting relaxed by July.

4 minutes ago, N e r V said:

If SDCC isn’t happening how many dealers would be at Torpedoes show anyway. A lot of them hit it as a matter of doing the SD show. I don’t believe even small shows like that will happen though. This is not a short term kind of thing and Newsom has been taking a pretty good lead in making sure his state was the first to lock down. I don’t see him getting relaxed by July.

Um, the same number that make it to Terry's show?  Except there were more vendors at Torpedo last year and I very much believe there will be a lot of pent of desire for folks to go to a con by then.  I know if that con happens, I'll be there.  But if it doesn't, I'd completely understand.  There's always next year (hopefully).

Since the movie industry has taken over the show they won’t be there till production begins  again and they want to promote their product and just watch he SDCC come crawling back to the people who started this...comic book dealers and collectors And ask for a rescue...we will be there as well have never left just pushed aside.

Edited by Mmehdy

News just reported that shutdown in CA will probably go through the end of June. Torpedo would be foolish to plan their show as well. Lack of out of state dealers would be expected I won’t go anyway as with most older comic buyers. Suks but as I said, I want to be around collecting for a long time.

If a “viritual” show works for you, I hope you get it. Just wouldn’t interest me at all. 

I ain’t writing to no one asking for it...

19 minutes ago, dem1138 said:

Um, the same number that make it to Terry's show?  Except there were more vendors at Torpedo last year and I very much believe there will be a lot of pent of desire for folks to go to a con by then.  I know if that con happens, I'll be there.  But if it doesn't, I'd completely understand.  There's always next year (hopefully).

I talked to John today. He said torpedo is a go unless the city shuts it down 

I hope that I'm WRONG but I don't think that there'll be a SDCC or a NYComic con this year :cry: as well I would be stunned if we see ANY major sports return this year :cry:

The easy and logical decision was to put on all of these controls and restrictions.  The tough decision is going to be giving the "all clear".

I agree that things should stay on hiatus "until the coronavirus crisis is resolved completely."  Defining what "resolved completely" means might prove difficult.  If it means complete eradication and a vaccine then we could be in this scenario for several SDCCs and NYCCs.

You can't do this half assed only to have it start up all over again...

Edited by pemart1966

I’m with you pemart. This needs to go away completely before we start hanging out together. I want to see my buddies safe and sound. I’ve done phone chats with a lot of people lately. There is comfort in solidarity. 

I might be missing baseball more than Cons. I don’t see that happening either. I will probably wait until next year to jeer the Astros...:roflmao:

I don’t see Gov Newsome giving the green light to these activities by July. I look forward to Torpedo every year but what kind of show will it be without all the big out of state dealers? Many of the big spenders are older collectors. I doubt many of them would come out especially for a reduced show anyway. 

Deal with it guys. 2020 is going down in history as a non event...

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

I’m with you pemart. This needs to go away completely before we start hanging out together. I want to see my buddies safe and sound. I’ve done phone chats with a lot of people lately. There is comfort in solidarity. 

I might be missing baseball more than Cons. I don’t see that happening either. I will probably wait until next year to jeer the Astros...:roflmao:

I don’t see Gov Newsome giving the green light to these activities by July. I look forward to Torpedo every year but what kind of show will it be without all the big out of state dealers? Many of the big spenders are older collectors. I doubt many of them would come out especially for a reduced show anyway. 

Deal with it guys. 2020 is going down in history as a non event...

I would have to second that Apprasial directly related to Southern California, other states may have yet to get the virus at our current level or their population is spread out more. Might a nice idea for dealers to do FaceTime visits to their store to keep sales afloat.

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

I hope that I'm WRONG but I don't think that there'll be a SDCC or a NYComic con this year :cry:

Unfortunately you're right. Neither will happen.  

8 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I would have to second that Apprasial directly related to Southern California, other states may have yet to get the virus at our current level or their population is spread out more. Might a nice idea for dealers to do FaceTime visits to their store to keep sales afloat.

Mitch, things are so bad this year that I’ve held off posting an April Fool’s gag out of concern it might go viral!   :fear:

12 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I predict there will be no SDCC this year nor should there be. Even if things get better there is no guarantee this can not come back. I predict there won’t be any other events like this this year. Anyone who puts one on is playing with fire and is very irresponsible. As is anyone who attends an event like this.

This.