• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing with backing boards
1 1

7 posts in this topic

On 4/4/2020 at 9:13 AM, Motor City Rob said:

I will give it a shot. Have you had success with it?

I've never used a press machine, but what I've done for certain raw books with small cover NCB bends/creases which aren't worth sending to a presser is to put a backing board between the cover & 1st page, place SRP on the cover & use a small travel iron (obv w no steam).   Then I place the whole book between 2 more boards and sandwich that between 2 large hardback books with a 25lb weight plate for several hours.   That actually gets those small bends/creases out w/o damaging anything.  Yes, I saw that on Youtube.

9 hours ago, csaag said:

I've never used a press machine, but what I've done for certain raw books with small cover NCB bends/creases which aren't worth sending to a presser is to put a backing board between the cover & 1st page, place SRP on the cover & use a small travel iron (obv w no steam).   Then I place the whole book between 2 more boards and sandwich that between 2 large hardback books with a 25lb weight plate for several hours.   That actually gets those small bends/creases out w/o damaging anything.  Yes, I saw that on Youtube.

wow, thank you dude, I got some with those tiny tiny flaws that this would be of perfect help.

On 4/3/2020 at 4:10 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Anyone ever use backing boards between the inside cover and first page when pressing? Would that help eliminate some defects that are more stubborn? I've only been using silicone release paper, but was thinking a backing board might be better. Thoughts?

I've done this method in the past and it worked fine. Nothing catastrophic happened. I know there are a million ways to press books, but personally when I did it that way I would put a piece of parchment paper between the cover and the press and a backboard between the cover and first page with another piece of parchment paper between the backboard and inner front cover. I would also heat up the press, turn it off, and then put the book in and just leave it overnight. That way it got the heat from the press and slowly cooled down over time. That last part is something I picked up from a long time presser who was kind enough to share some tips.

With any pressing technique I would always say do heavy testing on cheap/reader books from the same era and of the same general condition that you don't care about before you drop something meaningful into the press. 

65 lbs cardstock is the way to go, not a backerboard.  Take a look on Amazon for Neenah Bright White Cardstock, 8.5”x11”, 65lb/176 gsm, Bright White, 75 Sheets (90905).  I assume you are using a clamshell or similar style heat press?