• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IN THE ERA OF COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET?
9 9

662 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

There is a shortage on some meats right now.  HEB is limiting raw meat purchases for instance.

Sucks cause I just changed my lifestyle a month ago dropping sugar and carbs.  Meat is where it is at!

Smithfield processing plants have reopened in several states.

2 months into the quarantine and I still haven't seen a reduction in prices for 3-4 figure books, which is what I am looking at. I guess people who could afford this hobby can because they are financially responsible (for the most part) and thus are able to sustain these habits even in these times.

9 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

2 months into the quarantine and I still haven't seen a reduction in prices for 3-4 figure books, which is what I am looking at. I guess people who could afford this hobby can because they are financially responsible (for the most part) and thus are able to sustain these habits even in these times.

Sales are still strong

4 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

HAHAHAHA and the worst part is I might be one of them. 

I already played this scenario out in my head years ago... after seeing that Twilight Zone Stopwatch episode and Last Man on Earth show...

It's true that there are many people out of work but I think the forced closure of restaurants, bars, sports and fuel savings from forced teleworking creates some extra disposable income for people to indulge in collector hobbies like comics.

It will be interesting to see if prices increase gradually once restrictions are lifted and shows resume again.

It also seems like the shorter turnaround times at CGC are increasing the available inventory of freshly slabbed comics for sale across the board. Very interesting market forces

6 hours ago, tdotcbc84 said:

To answer @Hollywood1892 , I like @theCapraAegagrus 's answer.

You make the assumption that the value of comics never drop, and the method of transaction is fee-less / tax-less.  Whenever someone like me buys from HA, CL, or even eBay, I am subject to taxes or customs.  And don't forget about the ridiculous shipping prices I will have to endure.

A $1000 comic that I buy off HA, might end up costing me $1200-$1300 after it is all said and done.  GPA will record it as a $1000 sale.  You really think I can sell my $1000 for $1300 the next month if I lose my job?  Now lets expand that dollar amount to $10K or $100K books.  Sorry, I don't want to play that game.  I am also very adverse to risk.

Having said that, before I make any comic purchase, I basically tell myself, if I can only get 50% of the value I paid, do I still want to purchase?  If the answer is yes, then I will make the purchase :) To enjoy owning something I love!

Additionally, if I see a nice book I have been looking for, and I really want it....  I'm still making purchases right now.  I'm just more careful with my money these days.

You just factor all that in when you buy. If I see a book on heritage that I feel is worth buying at $1,000 then my max is $750 Of course I never won anything on heritage haha. Plenty of other auction sites that dont have 20% buyer premium. They have some huge books but I will never over pay to get something. 

Long as you don't buy over inflated books ff1 xmen 1 giant size hulk 181 uf4 etc they are not going to lose 50% of value and I think the economy is going down and so will comic market. I have been buying a lot of books though that I don't think the price will change much on.

54 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

No changes. But people either have job still or are getting full pay unemployment. They don't worry about what happens if government let's unemployment run out. And how many people are in credit debt just making minimum payments and are fine with doing so. Comic market will be good as long as there is full unemployment benefits. 

7 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Comic books are not money. You lose taxes, shipping, etc if you have to resell immediately.

Money is safe. Comic books (all collectibles) aren't.

To each their own. Personally I am thrilled that I never saved any money. Any $ I have ever made has gone into stocks, gold, real estate or comics. Easily out performed interest on money. 

6 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Its interesting when people think they have studied economics, but they don't realize the value of collectibles arent affected by the downturn in a market the same way stocks are...buy what you love, you only live once, just don't spend beyond your means 

2008 2009 was terrible for most things. Not comics. At least this time a lot of investors seen it coming. 2008 I didn't. Was forced to just ride it out for the most part. 

16 minutes ago, romanheart said:

Sounds like for the upcoming zombie apocalypse half of us will be fighting the zombies, and the other half will be collecting them.

Dibs on the PlayStation :headbang:

giphy_272.gif

4 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

My personal experience buying comics these last two months is that I've made several purchases that I consider "good buys". I've been able to get books I've wanted at the bottom of FMV, but nothing that was a steal. 

Me too!

But I've got a few about $50 under FMV, nothing serious 

And I got taxed on one book which was ridiculous 

1 minute ago, shadroch said:

This weeks auctions were nothing special.  A few minor keys went a bit low, but then a few Charletons did much better than I had figured. I have some nice Marvel slabs coming up so we shall see. 

:wishluck::foryou: