• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice needed for a ebay problem - I'm the seller
3 3

154 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, G G ® said:

This has been known to happen over the years since inception for sure. The reason being different personnel over different periods IMO.

I guess my biggest concern when that happens is the different value in grades, for example a 9.8 generally increases by 2.5 times the value of a 9.6, I wonder how much margin of error or how many times that has happened? Because we are talking a considerable difference in resale value

6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

my guess is if buyer states "book not as described" you will be forced to refund...it is really that cut and dry these days it seems

How can the buyer do that if he's already left positive feedback?

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I guess my biggest concern when that happens is the different value in grades, for example a 9.8 generally increases by 2.5 times the value of a 9.6, I wonder how much margin of error or how many times that has happened? Because we are talking a considerable difference in resale value

It's one of life's great mysteries. :insane:

1 minute ago, G G ® said:

It's one of life's great mysteries. :insane:

:roflmao:

And the difference between valuing a collectible versus valuing a stock, and determining its resale value

With a stock, it is determined by peoples needs ie gasoline/oil and that is why we can see the trajectory of crude oil prices trending south because a lack of demand for it due to isolation

Versus collectibles being a want/desire and sometimes people pay for the grade rather then the art/story/book

Versus collectibles being a want/desire and sometimes people pay for the grade rather then the art/story/book

I love art and stories (GA stories particularly) but I always buy the book for the look of the book, not the grade.

I remember CAK used to guarantee his grades (at least on some of his books). He'd even refund your grading fees if CGC disagreed with him. I wonder if that worked for him.

Exactly!

Because you can get a grade of 9.8 that doesn't look 'perfect' to you

Yep, even 9.8s can look imperfect. If I ever get a 9.8, or rather in the past when I dipped into moderns and such, I expected a 9.8 to not only look absolutely perfect, but wake me up with a cup of tea in the morning.

1 minute ago, G G ® said:

Yep, even 9.8s can look imperfect. If I ever get a 9.8, or rather in the past when I dipped into moderns and such, I expected a 9.8 to not only look absolutely perfect, but wake me up with a cup of tea in the morning.

I have a 9.8 that does that every morning 

But it's coffee, not tea!

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I have a 9.8 that does that every morning 

But it's coffee, not tea!

I should have said coffee 'cos I prefer that in the morning. My quintessential englishness subconsciously kicked in. Please excuse me old bean.

Edited by G G ®

20 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I remember CAK used to guarantee his grades (at least on some of his books). He'd even refund your grading fees if CGC disagreed with him. I wonder if that worked for him.

Anyone ever inquire about contracting him to build one of his infamous 400sqft fire pits? 

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

But I also disagree with partial refunds.  Either you want the book or you don't.

A while back I sold a book on ebay, I think it was to someone in Spain. Anyways I bomb-proofed it packing wise, then about after a week after it arrived (I tracked it) the guy gets on to me and says the book was horribly damaged (the slab) and suggests a 50% refund. So I tells him to send me pics, but he says his camera is broke, so I says no partial refund, send it back to me and I'll refund in full plus postage both ways. 48 hours later he responds saying he'll keep the book.

Gotta love ebay and it's many chancers.

6 minutes ago, G G ® said:

A while back I sold a book on ebay, I think it was to someone in Spain. Anyways I bomb-proofed it packing wise, then about after a week after it arrived (I tracked it) the guy gets on to me and says the book was horribly damaged (the slab) and suggests a 50% refund. So I tells him to send me pics, but he says his camera is broke, so I says no partial refund, send it back to me and I'll refund in full plus postage both ways. 48 hours later he responds saying he'll keep the book.

Nice try chump.

Edited by kav

4 minutes ago, G G ® said:

WHAT A SCUMBAG he is!

You played his bluff like a hand of hold 'em

He said "The book is damaged"

You said "Ya don't say!"

220px-Doyle_Brunson.jpg

7 minutes ago, G G ® said:

And these are the people folks are saying you should list grades for and guarantee stuff. :facepalm:

1 minute ago, kav said:

Nice try chump.

I won't bore you with the amount of times people have tried to pull similar scams on me on ebay over the last 19 years, but it's a lot.

WHAT A SCUMBAG he is!

You played his bluff like a hand of hold 'em

He said "The book is damaged"

You said "Ya don't say!"

220px-Doyle_Brunson.jpg

Hey! I'm more handsome than that!