• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice needed for a ebay problem - I'm the seller
3 3

154 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, G G ® said:

I won't bore you with the amount of times people have tried to pull similar scams on me on ebay over the last 19 years, but it's a lot.

Oh I believe it.  

24 minutes ago, kav said:

You are an intelligent grader, but it really comes down to how a buyer feels about a book

And in my opinion they should be happy with the book

I've learned in life to lower my expectations, and I've realized I'm not as disappointed as I once was

Edited by Hollywood1892

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Wonder what the seller is grading this as! And shockingly 61 bids

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/233549352863

Well he's calling it a 4.5 and it appears to be in that ballpark, altho' from the limited pics I would call it a 4.0 at best. 

4 minutes ago, G G ® said:

Well he's calling it a 4.5 and it appears to be in that ballpark, altho' from the limited pics I would call it a 4.0 at best. 

I don't really like the scribble marks on the front

But I've seen a highgrade with a date stamp on it

Edited by Hollywood1892

4 minutes ago, wombat said:

I understand some people might not like to offer partial refunds, but they can certainly be a good solution to some issues. I definitely don't think they should be somehow against the rules. 

They're not. You have a perfect right to give them and even to ask  for them if it offers the best solution all round. I've given them in the past when I've made a genuine mistake or when I believed the buyer and gave them the benefit of the doubt. But you always nearly always know when someone is just trying it on.

Just now, G G ® said:

They're not. You have a perfect right to give them and even to ask  for them if it offers the best solution all round. I've given them in the past when I've made a genuine mistake or when I believed the buyer and gave them the benefit of the doubt. But you always nearly always know when someone is just trying it on.

This is true

But my question is

Why do they buy in the first place?

Same with the people who win auctions saying they didn't want the book. I get it  'buyers remorse' but it's crazy

6 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

This is true

But my question is

Why do they buy in the first place?

Same with the people who win auctions saying they didn't want the book. I get it  'buyers remorse' but it's crazy

They're just trying to scam a few dollars on a book. Ebay's full of 'em....like the amazon is full of piranhas.

5 hours ago, kav said:

16 hours ago, jokiing said:

You do make a good point, although I've heard complaints about sellers not giving grades as well. I provide a grade for my sales, along with 11 or 12 photos and detailed descriptions of even the smallest defects. My grading leans conservative and I grade a point lower than my humble opinion. I'm thinking maybe I'll try your approach with my future auctions and see if I notice a difference. I mostly sell raw books from the 80's... from my personal collection.

Ignore the complaints abt not giving grades.  When I gave grades it was headache city.  People disagree with CGC grades all the time so what chance does a mere mortal have?  If anything I have noticed an increase in bid amounts and have had not a single return or complaint since I started listing no grades.  Give it a whirl.

Your not getting my This Gif for this one. 

I disagree. The disagreement rate I think is higher with Graded books I think then raw.
I sell 98% raw and I had one grade disagreement last year and it was my fault I missed a stain.

Other then that I cant remember the last time I had a buyer email me back about a grade descrepency on a raw books.

Slabbed books really bring out the OCD people.

I think we have had this discussion before, but taking a lot of pictures and not putting a grade does not absolve
the seller of responsibility it puts it on the buyer to decide which I disagree with at least give them an idea.

Edited by fastballspecial

4 hours ago, october said:
5 hours ago, kav said:

Legally, its buyer beware.  If a seller sells a car and does not know there's a mechanical problem, they are not obligated to return your money.  Likewise with resto.  The onus is not on the seller to be as knowledgeable about resto as a team of CGC graders, just as someone selling car on craigs list is not expected to be a master mechanic who has gone thru the vehicle with a fine toothed comb.
Sellers of raw books on ebay are not expected to be magic filters that gurantee a blue label slab for every book.  Thats expecting a CGC book at raw prices.

So you are afraid to grade a raw book, you are too lazy to learn about restoration, and you won't take a return if the buyer finds any? 

Can you share your eBay name? Asking for a friend who wants to add you to his buy from when hell freezes over favorite special sellers list.

Does the buyer notify me immediately or 8 weeks later? 

You see the problem here? In the first part he see it and I have him send it back to me full refund and I pay shipping.

The second part the buyer has had the book for 8 weeks and now says there is a problem. Granted there is some leeway here based
off if I have done business with them before, based off the converstion and  or know them etc....

The difference between the 2 for the seller is staggering. 

Edited by fastballspecial

14 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I disagree. The disagreement rate I think is higher with Graded books I think then raw.
I sell 98% raw and I had one grade disagreement last year and it was my fault I missed a stain.

Other then that I cant remember the last time I had a buyer email me back about a grade descrepency on a raw books.

I think we have had this discussion before, but taking a lot of pictures and not putting a grade does not absolve
the seller of responsibility it puts
it on the buyer to decide which I disagree with at least give them an idea.

I dont think it absolves the seller of responsibility, but I dont think anyone said it did, only that the seller is less backed into the corner....

The customer is always right and should be taken on a case by case basis

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

11 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
23 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

the seller of responsibility it puts
it on the buyer to decide which I disagree with at least give them an idea.

I dont think it absolves the seller of responsibility, but I dont think anyone said it did, only that the seller is less backed into the corner....

The customer is always right and should be taken on a case by case basis

Those sellers seem to think it does that's why they do it.
The seller doesn't want to learn to grade so they post of bunch of pics and lets the buyer decide.

They claim because grading is subjective. While I do admit it is subjective you open yourself open to more problems, but not grading it.
In my opinion. 

But yes case by case is usually the norm we see it here a lot. Every case is different. 

For the most part this is a generational thing with comic book sellers. New sellers from other hobbies usually like cards don't want to 
grade they want to use cell phone pics. Okay fine, but my question has always been this.

How do you decide how much to ask for? So you want to ask for a NM price, but you don't want to put a NM grade on it?
That to me is always the issue.

Sorry I am getting off topic. I will stop now.  

Ebay will always side with the buyer.

The CC company will always side with the buyer.

They rely on sellers giving up and letting it go away.

As I have said before:

Always ring ebay

Always get past the scripted drone on the phone who just want to keep thier job by sticking to their KPI's

Remember ebay does not give one flying fig about you or your book - it's the fees baby.

If at first you fail - ring again.And again

AS LONG AS YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT.

As for the OP - you should have insisted on a full refund from the get-go.

The guy was giving off every red flag about being a painful buyer. 

If the buyer claims CT, then you know he's coming after you.

Now you are in a complete clusterball with so many entities involved it's a shambles.

Refund the guy, take the book back.

Then go to CGC and find out what they will do about the detached cover.

Like a lot of peeps have said - 'not as described' = case closed for ebay, unless you are in the right and really want to fight hard with umpteen calls.

I can't see anyway you can win this with missed colour touch and a detached cover, if none of this was in your listing.

If CGC tore your cover off - then your beef is with them.

Ebay will not care less.

Refund, take book back, and demand recompense from CGC for breaking the book.

It's your best chance of coming out even. :foryou:

Edited by Beige

23 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Those sellers seem to think it does that's why they do it.
The seller doesn't want to learn to grade so they post of bunch of pics and lets the buyer decide.

They claim because grading is subjective. While I do admit it is subjective you open yourself open to more problems, but not grading it.
In my opinion. 

But yes case by case is usually the norm we see it here a lot. Every case is different. 

For the most part this is a generational thing with comic book sellers. New sellers from other hobbies usually like cards don't want to 
grade they want to use cell phone pics. Okay fine, but my question has always been this.

How do you decide how much to ask for? So you want to ask for a NM price, but you don't want to put a NM grade on it?
That to me is always the issue.

Sorry I am getting off topic. I will stop now.  

No worries. You're not wrong! In most cases that is the thought behind it for sure. In some cases though not, because labeling a grade means you defend a price point. No labeling a grade, it's harder for they RIP off buyers to pick a seller case with Ebay apart. Because buyer had pics and paid purchase price. If there was color touch or a detached cover it wouldn't be "as described" unless there were pics. Grading seems trivial after those last 2.

But

We agree, its case by case we all want our customers to be happy.  Maybe they could message the seller before hand, but then why didn't they put it in the listing etc.

I agree to quibble would be both of us ranting about experiences lol

So I'll stop too I guess, there are things that work for some sellers and some buyers. It's a paradox, but case by case basis all around  :foryou:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM