• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man 100-200 keys?
1 1

141 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Perhaps @Lazyboy can indulge us with the definition of a "key". And even when you do, it will be your definition, not the definitive one.

Wrong. Try again.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/key (see #34)

OPG-Key.jpg.669740c73d5dbb5d07816f8656e98d73.jpg

10 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

But there are people who do and those milestone issues tend to sell for a bid more. So clearly it has value

Irrelevant. Value is simply a function of supply and demand. Value does not determine keys.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Wrong. Try again.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/key (see #34)

OPG-Key.jpg.669740c73d5dbb5d07816f8656e98d73.jpg

Irrelevant. Value is simply a function of supply and demand. Value does not determine keys.

K

KEY ISSUE. An important issue in a comic book title's run.

according to cgcs glossary

it's all subjective though to anyone

https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/glossary/

2 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

100th issue. Historically significant. The 100th issue of a title, a monumental moment for a title at the time. Fits your words:)

Nope. But even if it was then, it sure isn't now.

People liking nice round numbers doesn't make them important.

A CGC 9.0 of ASM 99 runs around $100-120

A CGC 9.0 of ASM 100 runs around $300-350

ASM 99 has 4 CGC sales this month so far.

ASM 100 has 13 CGC sales this month already

Demand seems to be there per your definition. Thus value. Thus desired. Thus key.

Edited by comicginger1789

5 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yup. I figured you had trouble reading your own definition so I was just clarifying for ya :)

:facepalm: An issue that contains an important feature that is considered especially desirable by collectors is not the same as an issue that is considered especially desirable by collectors, which also has nothing to do with the dictionary definition.

5 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

:facepalm: An issue that contains an important feature that is considered especially desirable by collectors is not the same as an issue that is considered especially desirable by collectors, which also has nothing to do with the dictionary definition.

So you want “key” books and “desirable” books to be separately noted? Well you shoulda just said so :)

The icicle up your Pegger tuckus makes your comments most frosty ☃️ 

40 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

So you want “key” books and “desirable” books to be separately noted? Well you shoulda just said so :)

Different words mean different things. That is my point and it should not be a new or difficult concept for anybody.

7 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Different words mean different things. That is my point and it should not be a new or difficult concept for anybody.

Nor should the concept of words having multiple accepted definitions, mister self appointed master of the English language. You posted your definition from the site you feel supports your definition. Another poster did the same and the definition was slightly different. 

I have no problem with someone disagreeing with the terminology and definition. I just Hope spring/summer comes soon enough to melt that icicle for ya. Or maybe you can pull it out, give it a lick and chill out and engage in courteous conversation with fellow collectors :)

9 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Perhaps @Lazyboy can indulge us with the definition of a "key". And even when you do, it will be your definition, not the definitive one.

Issue #100 is a key issue. It marks an important point, numerically only, in Spidey's history in comics. And the cover is enjoyed by many. It is the same reason, generally, why the 100th, 200th and 300th issues of titles generally sell more than those around it. Some of these numbers also happen to have major appearances in them (ASM 300 for example) but others just get the boost because of the number.

It may not be a key you care about, and that is fine. I care about it because it is a Spidey ish and I want an ASM run. I wouldn't care at all for a Cap #200 or a DD #100 because I don't care as much for those titles. But there are people who do and those milestone issues tend to sell for a bid more. So clearly it has value, is desired and is key to some people. 

I have to agree with the 100 as key crowd. The cover is lovely, and if you get one without spine breaks it really pops. I'm lucky enough to have one and it looks gorgeous in a CGC case, as opposed to many of the other Marvel 70s books that are all colored day glo yellow for some reason. I imagine many other collectors feel the same way, certainly there's nothing special about Batman 227 besides people just wanting it for the cover. It's at least needed to say you have every 100th anniversary issue of the title, if that's your thing (it's mine).

8 hours ago, shadroch said:

Quite possibly the most ridiculous argument in recent board history.

A book is in demand and is valued above its neighbors, but its not a key, only a desirable book. Got it.

There are lots of books that are (relatively) valuable, but not key. A few examples: Hellblazer 27 (Gaiman has a fan or two), Batman 227 (cover), ASM 430 (guest hero and popular villain). They are what they are and don't need extra hype to sell or to make people feel special for owning them.

54 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

There are lots of books that are (relatively) valuable, but not key. A few examples: Hellblazer 27 (Gaiman has a fan or two), Batman 227 (cover), ASM 430 (guest hero and popular villain). They are what they are and don't need extra hype to sell or to make people feel special for owning them.

Yes but people generally would use your definition of key, and the fact that Batman 227 has a desirable artistic feature that makes it key, ie the cover. If not for that cover, I doubt that book sells more than issues around it.