• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man 100-200 keys?
1 1

141 posts in this topic

Here's what I assume are absolute keys:

100 Anniversary issue

101 First Morbius

121 Death of Gwen Stacy

122 Death of Green Goblin

129 First Punisher

135 Second Punisher

149 First Ben Reilly

162 First Jigsaw

194 First Black Cat

Am I missing anything or overrating one of them? I don't know if I would consider 102 (second Morbius) THAT much of a key, same for 151 even with classic cover, but I'd like to hear.

5 hours ago, brentdevil said:

100 Anniversary issue

101 First Morbius

121 Death of Gwen Stacy

129 First Punisher

135 Second Punisher

149 First Ben Reilly

162 First Jigsaw

194 First Black Cat

Am I missing anything or overrating one of them? I don't know if I would consider 102 (second Morbius) THAT much of a key, same for 151 even with classic cover, but I'd like to hear.

I think your list has the keys.  I'd par it down personally as I'm not sure Ben Reilly is going to get much bronze age love, nor do I think Jigsaw was a player either.

3 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

I think your list has the keys.  I'd par it down personally as I'm not sure Ben Reilly is going to get much bronze age love, nor do I think Jigsaw was a player either.

I guess I'm more curious which are worth the most. It's hard not having a consistent price guide a la the days of Wizard or whatever. Overstreet is always a year out of date.

1 hour ago, brentdevil said:

I guess I'm more curious which are worth the most. It's hard not having a consistent price guide a la the days of Wizard or whatever. Overstreet is always a year out of date.

Try mycomicshop.com. If nothing else, you can see which books have broken out price wise from their neighbors.

57 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Try mycomicshop.com. If nothing else, you can see which books have broken out price wise from their neighbors.

That was actually what I was using. It's a very unreliable source though, as they have consignment items in place of things not in stock priced by them, and as a result 'keys' are all over the map. It's probably what gave me the idea 162 was more a key than 136, but I still have a hard time seeing the value in that one.

Its an incredible resource if you use it right. If a book is in stock and has no yellow consignment boxes, odds are its not in demand. Some prices are whack, but that doesn't matter. 

Lots of yellow means high demand. High demand makes keys.

10 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

Jigsaw is a key?

That's what I thought when I saw it - if he can get in surely The Mindworm, Rocket Racer and Big Wheel can too :bigsmile:

I must be out of the loop. 

Back in the day, 119 and 120 were always considered 'keys' due to the Hulk appearance and were priced accordingly. My instinctive list has always been 100, 101, 119, 120, 121, 122, 129 and 194. 

9 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's what I thought when I saw it - if he can get in surely The Mindworm, Rocket Racer and Big Wheel can too :bigsmile:

I must be out of the loop. 

Back in the day, 119 and 120 were always considered 'keys' due to the Hulk appearance and were priced accordingly. My instinctive list has always been 100, 101, 119, 120, 121, 122, 129 and 194. 

This, with perhaps mild support for 135, second Punisher in ASM.

10 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:
21 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

Jigsaw is a key?

That's what I thought when I saw it - if he can get in surely The Mindworm, Rocket Racer and Big Wheel can too 

Jigsaw isn't a big Spidey villain, but he's a pretty big Punisher villain, is he not?

162 is also the first appearance of Dr. Marla Madison (later the wife of JJJ).

14 hours ago, brentdevil said:

I guess I'm more curious which are worth the most. It's hard not having a consistent price guide a la the days of Wizard or whatever.

Are you looking for keys, or books of (relatively) high value?

14 hours ago, brentdevil said:

Overstreet is always a year out of date.

lol At best.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 2:20 PM, brentdevil said:

100 Anniversary issue

101 First Morbius

121 Death of Gwen Stacy

129 First Punisher

135 Second Punisher

149 First Ben Reilly

162 First Jigsaw

194 First Black Cat

Your list is excellent.  My only recommendation is to remove #162.

On 4/13/2020 at 2:06 AM, shadroch said:

Lots of yellow means high demand. High demand makes keys.

this is what I do...scroll through the listings quickly and if a bunch of yellow pops up I stop and see what issue it is.

On 4/12/2020 at 1:20 PM, brentdevil said:

100 Anniversary issue

101 First Morbius

121 Death of Gwen Stacy

129 First Punisher

135 Second Punisher

149 First Ben Reilly

162 First Jigsaw

194 First Black Cat

Remove 100 and 135 (which is not the second Punisher, not that it matters for a list of keys).

Add 124 (John Jameson becomes the Man-Wolf) and 136 (Harry Osborn becomes the Green Goblin).

129 is also the first Jackal and, as I mentioned earlier, 162 is also the first Dr. Marla Madison.