• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Determining Submission Levels

3 posts in this topic

If time frame is not in the equation, what is the difference between Economy, Standard, and Express in the grading process? I have submissions from early Marvel to late Bronze Age. I do not know the value except by guessing (which is why I'm grading). Can an early Fantastic Four or Avengers, both number 3, be sent in as Economy or are they sent in  as Standard? How do you determine the level for grading? Bronze Age comics, which are not in demand as much, are they treated the same? I am a "Newbie". Thank you.

Plenty of threads on this subject though it is a confusing one when new to the whole process.

There's a 'Spare A Grade' forum here where posters can give you their opinions of a grade from pics you upload.  That can help when pairing those grades against Ebay sold listings or GoCollect/GPA etc   to get a feel for an appropriate value

I think of the FMV, which you put on the form (to determine tier level), as an insurance amount should something happen to the book while under the care of CGC (& what they will use for insurance when shipping it back to you)    If you want your FF 3 to only be insured for $400 then choose Economy.  Same for other tiers.    Doesn't matter if it's worth $4000 or $400 when slabbed, it 's a question of what it's worth to you if something happens.

Obviously the better idea you have for a potential grade, the better idea you have for the tier.  Even then you aren't forced to pick Walkthru just because you have confidence it's a X.X which would make it curr worth $4000.  You can still pick Standard if that's all you want to pay.    There is a chance CGC could move the tier up but that seems to be a rare event.

Tons of info on these boards.  Don't get frustrated if a question you post doesn't get a quick response. Just use the search function and see if you can get an immediate answer that way too.

Good luck & Welcome.

PS  So now I'm curious.  Did you have a FF & Avengers 3?