• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Question

5 posts in this topic

Wasn't sure to post this here or in the PGM forum so if this is the wrong place, just let me know.  I have an inherited comic collection so I am a Newbie but I am learning and trying to assess value and grading.  I've just had two books done by CGC -- a Spotlight #5 which came back a 9.0 and a Spiderman #100 which came in at 9.2.  I was a little surprised as the latter looked so perfect to me (yes, as a Newbie) and interestingly the grader notes only had one comment, which was 'very light spine stress lines to cover.'  The Spotlight had five comments, one of which was the same. But with four other 'issues' I was surprised the difference in grade was so small.  So I may be 'lucky' that the Spotlight got a 9.0, or 'unlucky' that the Spiderman only got a 9.2.  I guess my question is, is this common?  Is there a range depending on what grader you get and how they are feeling that particular day?  I understand it's not a science, just wondering how subjective it really is at that level...

The grader plays a factor, as does human error and consistency or inconsistencies. But generally, Cgc is trusted