• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Hulk 340

10 posts in this topic

I am also at a 9.2

numerous spine ticks ( I stopped counting after 6 ), the top right front corner is fuzzy/ soft not crisp and sharp.

Back cover top right has a small tear.

Also looks like small staple tear as well.

I recommend looking at hi-res scans of 9.8 copies of Hulk 340. Go to Heritage Auctions and search there. Here is a link to a 9.8:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/the-incredible-hulk-340-marvel-1988-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/121611-12455.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

My opinion is when you are looking / grading a Hulk 340 if you find even one issue it is not worth the cost of submitting if you are trying for a 9.8 because it might get a 9.6..

9.8 current gpa is $375, while a 9.6 is $171. The cost of the purchase of the book, plus grading costs plus shipping means you won't make anything if you ever try to resell it unless you acquire the book for very cheap. If you paid $100 you are at break even if you submit and get a 9.6.

Edited by Artboy99

19 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I am also at a 9.2

numerous spine ticks ( I stopped counting after 6 ), the top right front corner is fuzzy/ soft not crisp and sharp.

Back cover top right has a small tear.

Also looks like small staple tear as well.

I recommend looking at hi-res scans of 9.8 copies of Hulk 340. Go to Heritage Auctions and search there. Here is a link to a 9.8:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/the-incredible-hulk-340-marvel-1988-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/121611-12455.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

My opinion is when you are looking / grading a Hulk 340 if you find even one issue it is not worth the cost of submitting if you are trying for a 9.8 because it might get a 9.6..

9.8 current gpa is $375, while a 9.6 is $171. The cost of the purchase of the book, plus grading costs plus shipping means you won't make anything if you ever try to resell it unless you acquire the book for very cheap.

So, in your opinion, listing this as a NM+ book would be misleading?

42 minutes ago, evolpe79 said:

So, in your opinion, listing this as a NM+ book would be misleading?

absolutely.

The lesson to learn from this is: Learn to grade for yourself and then you will find it is hard for an Ebay seller to take advantage of you. Knowing how to grade you would have looked at the seller's pictures and instantly known the book is not what they claim, unless the seller didn't post good pics and then that is another issue all together. Not worth buying from a seller that can't post good pics in my opinion.

I am also around 9.2, outshot shot at 9.4

When listing, I always consider my grade and when I grade I like to give a slight range (like 9.2-9.4 in this case). Then, when I list, I bump it down just to be safe. So in the description, I will say I feel it is 9.0-9.2 and advise the buyer to be the judge based on the photos (always lots of photos). 

Edited by comicginger1789

Thank you all for your feedback.  This book was advertised as NM+.  Through the provided scan I was only able to detect the major tick by the artist signature.  Thinking it could be a 9.6 based on that observation, I paid $120.  Now I am realizing that was a bit too much and I will try to get a refund.  It's a far cry from advertised. Also, I am just getting back into comics and this was one of my first attempts at getting a high grade book on eBay.  Obviously, I need to be more skeptical of raw eBay purchases when I can't see the actual book in my hands.  I also need to expand my knowledge on what high grade books look like.  Thank you all again and I am looking forward to learning more from you all.