• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magnus # 34 - $.20 Variant

13 posts in this topic

I'm trying to fill out my Gold Key Magnus collection.

According to GCD, Magnus Robot Fighter # 34 has a $.20 variant.

Anyone ever seen one of these? Anyone (gasp!) actually own one?

I'm fairly certain the $.15 variants of # 22 and # 23 are just Canadian versions, but I've not come across a # 34 $.20 but for this photo on GCD.

Cover for Magnus, Robot Fighter (Western, 1963 series) #34 [20¢ Price Variant]

Edited by Gatsby77

50 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It seems likely that the 15cent and 20cent variants were not Canadian, but price increase tests, since the official price increase (and no price variants) happened with the next issue.

Maybe - but there's a $.20 variant of Magnus # 31 as well, but no (to my knowledge) known $.20 variants of # 32 or 33.

Odd for them to jump from 31 to 34 unless - as you suggest, sales of # 31 $.20 were so bad they opted to shelve the idea for awhile.

2 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:
54 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It seems likely that the 15cent and 20cent variants were not Canadian, but price increase tests, since the official price increase (and no price variants) happened with the next issue.

Maybe - but there's a $.20 variant of Magnus # 31 as well, but no (to my knowledge) known $.20 variants of # 32 or 33.

Odd for them to jump from 31 to 34 unless - as you suggest, sales of # 31 $.20 were so bad they opted to shelve the idea for awhile.

That's also a good point... still possible, but a little bit odd.  I just don't see "Canadian pricing" being a one-time test either, though... if there are Canadian prices, we'd expect those several issues in a row, correct?  

Wow! Thanks.

And...Groan... the quest continues.

# 33 is one of the hardest-to-find books of the run to find in NM- or better period, even without a price variant.

Regardless of what the CGC census says, my bid for the top 5 toughest books of the run in-grade are:

# 37, # 29, # 33, # 1, # 4.

Does your friend have photos of either the # 32 or # 33 variants?

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Does your friend have photos of either the # 32 or # 33 variants?

Yep, he sent me a photo and he's joining this board for more discussion (pending admin approval of his registration).

20200421_202228.jpg

My thanks to Gatsby77 for mentioning this issue and to valiantman for pointing out this discussion to me, and also for posting my photo while I await approval. I have been collecting Magnus for quite a while now, and it's fascinating how there is still much to learn.

/Magnus

On 4/21/2020 at 3:33 PM, magnusr said:

My thanks to Gatsby77 for mentioning this issue and to valiantman for pointing out this discussion to me, and also for posting my photo while I await approval. I have been collecting Magnus for quite a while now, and it's fascinating how there is still much to learn.

/Magnus

Welcome to the Boards!

And likewise. I've been collecting Gold Key Magnus for a decade now and am shocked that I only learned of the 20 cent variant of # 34 last week, let alone that there were additional variants of # 32-33.

Do you know if # 22 and 23 the only $.15 variants? Are there others earlier (or later) in the run?

And any idea why the Whitmans seem to skip a few numbers?

On 4/22/2020 at 10:21 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Welcome to the Boards!

And likewise. I've been collecting Gold Key Magnus for a decade now and am shocked that I only learned of the 20 cent variant of # 34 last week, let alone that there were additional variants of # 32-33.

Do you know if # 22 and 23 the only $.15 variants? Are there others earlier (or later) in the run?

And any idea why the Whitmans seem to skip a few numbers?

Thanks for the welcome.

I do not know of any other 15c variants.

I've been wondering about the Whitmans. I know for sure of issues 35, 36, 37, 38, 40, 41, 42, 44 and 45. Which ones can you confirm?

Btw, there is also a so called Mark Jewelers variant of issue 35 (same as the normal comic, but with an ad insert aimed at soldiers that was sold near military bases). 

/Magnus

Here's a blog that might interest you guys if you haven't already seen it:

http://dellcomicfan.blogspot.com/2012/01/204-how-many-12-15-cent-gold-key.html