• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest American comic book artists of all time.
2 2

136 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Senormac said:

Still, I checked out Jack Kirby on Wikipedia and was blown away.  I mean, he has done/worked on way, WAY more things than I ever knew about.

Oh yeah, Jack Kirby’s comic book career goes so far back, that it’s said to go as far back as Fiction House’s Jumbo Comics #1 from 1938 actually, when he was about 20 years old.

ZzS2dxP.jpg

RSxF1Vh.jpg

rDaxKp0.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

21 minutes ago, Electricmastro said:

Oh yeah, Jack Kirby’s comic book career goes so far back, that it’s said to go as far back as Fiction House’s Jumbo Comics #1 from 1938 actually, when he was about 20 years old.

ZzS2dxP.jpg

RSxF1Vh.jpg

rDaxKp0.jpg

I mean...…  how can there be an argument ?? 

2 hours ago, Senormac said:

I challenge anyone to "Wiki Measure" their favorite guy against Jack and show us why/how their guy is greater.

Well an early classic master of art that comes to mind is Lou Fine, whom I felt drew in such a way that instead of taking awhile to lead up to a dramatic panel, he instead manages to make each panel look dramatic in of themselves, like with his art on the Ray from Smash Comics. He gives off a dynamic and cinematic-esque tone, as if the characters are leaping off the pages, which I felt left more of an impression with me than with Jack Kirby’s art. The only other person, at least from the Silver Age era, that reminds me of this sort of art is Neal Adams, whom I heard was inspired by Lou Fine, and it indeed shows.

0Hp9onw.jpg

4Ieoc5c.jpg

rau5ZH7.jpg

LdLcSbu.jpg

CV2Z06g.jpg

Pi1jVV5.jpg

iRfGzkQ.jpg

j2Agk4c.jpg

aaNqvXD.jpg

1jLX3ZQ.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

On 4/26/2020 at 4:56 PM, Electricmastro said:

I’ve liked some of John Romita Jr.’s art as well:

Daredevil #256 (1988):

WTH tho:

Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 10.00.13 PM.png

5 minutes ago, Senormac said:

He was tired

Tiny pinhead on linebacker body.
With file folder shoulder pads.

Edited by kav

8 hours ago, Senormac said:

I'll give it to you.  BWS is best at that IMO.  

Still, I checked out Jack Kirby on Wikipedia and was blown away.  I mean, he has done/worked on way, WAY more things than I ever knew about.

I challenge anyone to "Wiki Measure" their favorite guy against Jack and show us why/how their guy is greater.  

BTW...…  who is your favorite ?  :popcorn: 

Old school = Eisner

New(er) school = Miller

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Ditko did some superb art at Charlton.

Enough to get me to buy all of Fantagraphics' Ditko Archives collections.

Indeed. I might go as far as to say that some of the material he drew for Charlton looks more interesting than the material he drew for Marvel actually.

Edited by Electricmastro

3 minutes ago, Electricmastro said:

Indeed. I might go as far as to say that some of the material he drew for Charlton looks more interesting than the material he drew for Marvel actually.

It's certainly very impressive. :smile:

How can Bernie Wrightson and Mike Ploog not be on a greatest artist list. I would add Jim Aparo, also...  always been my favorite Batman guy.

And, Reed Crandall was on the initial list and he happens to be my favorite artist from the GA...main reason I collect Police Comics with Ken Shannon.

I liked Kirby's earlier stuff but once the 70's hit, he wasn't for me.

Worst or my least favorite:

Ernie Chan/Chua

Bart Sears

...most artists who came into the spotlight in the 90's and never evolved (I feel Jim Lee evolved and gets better with age)