• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

polished_gem_comics aka diamond_comics_llc aka silver_valley_comics CGC slab cracking and overgrading for profit
8 8

595 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Just wondering, how can you get so many feedback removals if on the site it says you can only do 5 a year?

"You can only request a revision for feedback that is less than 30 days old, and can make 5 feedback revision requests per calendar year."

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/leaving-feedback-buyers/disputing-feedback-received?id=4102&st=3&pos=1&query=Disputing feedback you received&intent=remove negtive feedback&lucenceai=lucenceai

the feedback gets revised, but still stays; removing the feedback is literally removing the feedback

3 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Just wondering, how can you get so many feedback removals if on the site it says you can only do 5 a year?

"You can only request a revision for feedback that is less than 30 days old, and can make 5 feedback revision requests per calendar year."

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/leaving-feedback-buyers/disputing-feedback-received?id=4102&st=3&pos=1&query=Disputing feedback you received&intent=remove negtive feedback&lucenceai=lucenceai

On his feedback, not the "feedback revision" count; it's right there just uner the "feedback left for others" lettering/link. 

REVISED FEEDBACK: 0  (none)

His negatives were not revised. Revised, as in, the buyer recanted and changed his mind about posting a negative and wished to amend it. There's a function for that, but when a buyer revises feedback, the newly revised feedback and language, like, "Seller made good after all, great experience", etc., replaces the language of the old feedback; the negative and the feedback revision count advances by 1. 

What occurred with his two negatives that evaporated is not a revision. It did not involve a change of the buyer's heart because he either went soft, or the seller made good instead of ebay having to step in and remedy, as has been stated in all the negatives, the ones that appear and the 2 that ebay expunged. 

And it happened quickly. In way under 30 days. The first two  negatives disappearaed within 24 to 48 hours after appearing. They were not buyer amended. They were expunged. Poofed, by ebay, as if they were never there. A do-over. "Here's two on us. You get more? No sweat. Call us and we'll sweep them under the rug for you as we did with those two".. 

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

the feedback gets revised, but still stays; removing the feedback is literally removing the feedback

Yes. Revision is requested and buyer enacted. The buyer revises his negative to a positive or neutral and revises the language of the feedback. That wasn't done here because the revision count on his feedback page is still zero.

The two negatives were expunged by ebay. Different than revision. Revised feedback would still show up. 

Also worth noting that the buyer who imparted 9 negatives to his feedback for non-performance has over 6000 feedbacks, so chances favor his knowing his way around ebay real well, and he's not simply negging frivolously.

Edited by James J Johnson

1 minute ago, littledoom said:

Talk w an ebay representative and ask them to remove it

Bingo. That's where the two negs went; into the cornfield, and in all probability, these 9 negs will join their two brothers in oblivion. And... others he accrues from this point on. he may have stopped selling, but I have a hunch that his ebay legacy will live on in his feedback, as the negs come and go. 

On 6/10/2020 at 9:19 PM, William-James88 said:

I started a thread since I found them super sketchy and someine gave the very same experience of cracking a book and....

To stress once again, this act of cracking and reselling raw is fine. It's a free country. If you have a slabbed book and CGC's opinion goes one way, and your opinion goes another way, by all means, you own it, crack it and resell it at the grade you think it is. But say it. Don't call it something else. That's fraud! Don't crack a slab and say, "My grandfather had this in the refrigerator for 50 years and it's never been read, minty fresh". Say what it is. "CGC's grade is 9.0, my grade is NM/unread. Who are you going to believe?" Now, doing that, any elements of deception are removed! But being the seller, your opinion is paramount now if people believe you over CGC! So when that former CGCed book is submitted and returns 9.0, just as it was because that's what it is, and not the NM/unread book you purport it to be, you are the one that is on the hook for it!

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

To stress once again, this act of cracking and reselling raw is fine. It's a free country. If you have a slabbed book and CGC's opinion goes one way, and your opinion goes another way, by all means, you own it, crack it and resell it at the grade you think it is. But say it. Don't call it something else. That's fraud! Don't crack a slab and say, "My grandfather had this in the refrigerator for 50 years and it's never been read, minty fresh". Say what it is. "CGC's grade is 9.0, my grade is NM/unread. Who are you going to believe?" Now, doing that, any elements of deception are removed! But being the seller, your opinion is paramount now if people believe you over CGC! So when that former CGCed book is submitted and returns 9.0, just as it was because that's what it is, and not the NM/unread book you purport it to be, you are the one that is on the hook for it!

I agree with most of this, although I don't think there needs to be a disclaimer that a book was previously graded by CGC. Potential buyers need to look at the book, judge it for themselves and decide what amount they're willing to pay. If the pictures aren't clear enough, then they should be conservative in their bidding, or don't bid at all! I really think it's that simple. I don't care what story the seller makes up. Doesn't change the pictures. Buyers have no one to blame but themselves. Might sound harsh, but sellers like this guy wouldn't keep doing this if there weren't so many gullible buyers in the world. 

15 minutes ago, Motor City Rob said:

I agree with most of this, although I don't think there needs to be a disclaimer that a book was previously graded by CGC. Potential buyers need to look at the book, judge it for themselves and decide what amount they're willing to pay. If the pictures aren't clear enough, then they should be conservative in their bidding, or don't bid at all! I really think it's that simple. I don't care what story the seller makes up. Doesn't change the pictures. Buyers have no one to blame but themselves. Might sound harsh, but sellers like this guy wouldn't keep doing this if there weren't so many gullible buyers in the world. 

True, But he DOES change the pictures, w/ resolution etc...makes a flaw almost disappear.

Man, this is all eye opening, I was under the impression that the whole e-bay feedback feature stood for something.

It used to.  It seems the change to rug-sweeping happened in the last year or so.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Rob said:

II don't care what story the seller makes up. 

But many buyers do care about the seller's story, and pictures with manipulated processing make trying to get an accurate read on flaws very difficult. IMO, the story about the book never being read and in refrigerated storage for 50 years was the incentive that drove the bidding to $2550 for a $900 book. Without the story and overtly modified scans, not to mention honesty that this was a CGC 9.0 and the only refrigerator the book was near was if it passed in front of one on the way in or out, the bidding would have been in the $700 range undoubtedly for a raw 9.0. Not including that info, fraud by omission, was what resulted in the buyer being defrauded for about $1700. 

3 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Man, this is all eye opening, I was under the impression that the whole e-bay feedback feature stood for something.

Yes and no. Great ebay sellers like MCS, Bob Storms, etc. always have great feedback profiles. But sellers like Polished, who is nowhere near their caliber of greatness can also maintain perfect feedback, just for the asking. Different is that MCS, Storms, and their like don't have to ask ebay to intervene and expunge negatives. 

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Say what it is. "CGC's grade is 9.0, my grade is NM/unread. Who are you going to believe?" Now, doing that, any elements of deception are removed! 

Metropolis Comics does not do that.

From your comment here, it sounds as though you actually believe that all of the other auction houses and major comic book dealers would do this on a consistent basis?  hm   (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

11 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

From your comment here, it sounds as though you actually believe that all of the other auction houses and major comic book dealers would do this on a consistent basis?  hm   (shrug)

mail.gif

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

No, not sure what the duscussion has turned into though. I was just replying. And as for other auction houses and major sellers, I do not think that they remove slabs to sell at a higher grade. At least I havent seen it nor heard of it as I do with metropolis comics and now polished gem comics.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I'm not of that belief. I know you were referencing William-James88's quote, but wanted to clarify my stance since we both were quoted in your post.

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

But many buyers do care about the seller's story, and pictures with manipulated processing make trying to get an accurate read on flaws very difficult. IMO, the story about the book never being read and in refrigerated storage for 50 years was the incentive that drove the bidding to $2550 for a $900 book. Without the story and overtly modified scans, not to mention honesty that this was a CGC 9.0 and the only refrigerator the book was near was if it passed in front of one on the way in or out, the bidding would have been in the $700 range undoubtedly for a raw 9.0. Not including that info, fraud by omission, was what resulted in the buyer being defrauded for about $1700. 

I agree that if pictures are manipulated, then all bets are off and the seller should accept the return. Lots of listed books on ebay every day where major flaws are "hidden". Ebay will side with buyers in almost all of these situations. With enough returns and complaints, sellers like this should realize the jig is up!!! Hopefully that's what has happened with our Polished Diamond friend.