• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bracket Is Up - Golden Age Artist May Madness Tournament
3 3

62 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

The add name(s) function doesn’t actually provide a selection choice, but rather a dissenting opinion.  Since no one else can see your write-in choice(s) the artists aren’t a viable candidate competing with the others.  

Yeah, I thought about that, Cat, but since I am using a freebie survey site, it is limiting on what features I can use.  

7 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

BTW, since you say that participants in the poll can only vote once, I’m assuming you meant that to be on the honor system.  

It will limit you to vote only once but it will only apply that functionality if you are using the same device and I suppose if you clear cookies and cache, you can vote more than once from the same device. I know the limitation works because I tried to vote a second time and it would not let me.  But the honor system works too, I hope.

7 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

FTR, this is NOT a criticism.  The poll is well done, easy to navigate and enjoyable. Major kudos for coming up with this! My picayune frustrations are purely subjective which is just par for the course with any poll using broad based selection criteria. 

Thank you, Cat, I appreciate it,  There were so many names to choose from and the few write-ins that have been received were names I considered and now feel bad I did not include them; although, to this point no other choices have included duplicate names.  I suspect as Jack did earlier forego adding others and just went with names on the list. 

BTW, I hope OAFCON is a go this year and we can get COVID-19 under control.  I always enjoy seeing you and others there.  Take care and just for you...

il_570xN.2014069228_p6ne.jpg

I have inactivated the survey - below are the results.

My plan had been to continue like March Madness until we have one winner.  I would propose that we use a less scientific approach since this could go on and on.  Let me play around with some bracketology and use some liberties based on the below order as their seeds even though there are ties and use some logical cut-off so it is pared down to a manageable number.

If we want to stop here, that works too as there is Schomburg got the most votes.

There were 51 total participants.

Seed Artist Votes
1 Alex Schomburg 27
2 Lou Fine 26
3 Wally Wood 25
4 Frank Frazetta 23
5 Matt Baker 22
6 Jack Kirby 20
7 Bill Everett 20
8 L.B. Cole 20
9 Will Eisner 17
10 Dan Zolnerowich 14
11 Carl Barks 14
12 Basil Wolverton 13
13 Al Feldstein 13
14 Reed Crandall 13
15 Al Williamson 11
16 Jack Cole 11
17 Mac Raboy 9
18 Creig Flessel 9
19 Joe Kubert 8
20 Russ Heath 8
21 Hal Foster 7
22 Jack Davis 7
23 Joe Simon 7
24 Alex Raymond 6
25 Johnny Craig 6
26 Graham Ingels 6
27 Winsor McKay 5
28 Jack Kamen 5
29 Joe Maneely 5
30 Lily Renee 5
31 Everett Raymond Kinstler 5
32 Walt Kelly 4
33 Milt Caniff 4
34 Maurice Whitman 4
35 Steve Ditko 4
36 Leo O'Melia 4
37 Bob Powell 4
38 Charles Biro 4
39 Bernard Bailey 4
40 Bob Fuje 3
41 Bob Montana 3
42 Rudy Palais 3
43 George Evans 3
44 Alex Toth 3
45 Jimmy Thompson 3
46 Joe Shuster 3
47 Irv Novick 3
48 Jim Mooney 3
49 Fletcher Hanks 3
50 Ogden Whitney 2
51 Harry Anderson 2
52 Joe Doolin 2
53 John Richard Flanagan 2
54 Harvey Kurtzman 2
55 Bernard "Bernie" Krigstein 2
56 Bill Ward 2
57 Sprang 2
58 Fred Ray 2
59 Sheldon Moldoff 2
60 Bob Kane 2
61 Jack Burnley 2
62 Carl Burgos 2
63 C. C. Beck 2
64 Murphy Anderson 2
65 Al Camy 1
66 Bill Elder 1
67 Angelo Torres 1
68 George Tuska 1
69 Curt Swan 1
70 Charles Sultan 1
71 Syd Shores 1
72 Jerry Robinson 1
73 Klaus Nordling 1
74 Tarpe Mills 1
75 Paul Gustavson 1
76 Fred Guardineer 1
77 Wayne Boring 1
78 Al Avison 1
79 Edd Ashe 0
80 Al Bryant 0
81 Alex Kotzky 0
82 Walter Johnson 0
83 Al Hartley 0
84 George Herriman 0
85 Frank R. Paul 0
86 Leonard Starr 0
87 Werner Roth 0
88 Roy Krenkel 0
89 Paul Cassidy 0
90 H.G. Peter 0
91 Irwin Hasen 0
92 John Severin 0
93 George Roussos 0
94 Don Rico 0
95 Howard Purcell 0
96 Kin Platt 0
97 Al Plastino 0
98 George Papp 0
99 Joe Orlando 0
100 Paul Norris 0
101 Chuck Cuidera 0
102 Martin Nodell 0
103 Ruben Moreira 0
104 Mort Meshkin 0
105 Al McWilliams 0
106 Sheldon Mayer 0
107 Bob Lubbers 0
108 Joe Gill 0
109 Al Gabriele 0
110 Gill Fox 0

Other: George Rozen, Jack Binder, Ken Bald, Jay Disbrow, A.C. Hollingsworth, Matt Fox, Mort Leav

I wonder how differently that would have played out if we had been familiar with all of them, going both by covers and interior art. Because I recall that Lou Fine worked on interior art as much as cover art, while Alex Schomburg rarely did interior art, yet Schomburg seems to have gotten just as many votes based on his effort on covers alone. Not saying people can’t vote how they want, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

Looks to me like the comic strip artists suffered because they were not really comic book artists and this was billed as a being about comic BOOK artists.  Because there is no way that Hal Foster does not make the top 10 of a list of greatest comic arists (comic books and comic strips).

38 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Looks to me like the comic strip artists suffered because they were not really comic book artists and this was billed as a being about comic BOOK artists.  Because there is no way that Hal Foster does not make the top 10 of a list of greatest comic arists (comic books and comic strips).

I voted based on comic book work only so didn't include Foster and Raymond. Both would have easily made my top 5  if I considered the strip work also.

1 hour ago, damonwad said:

I voted based on comic book work only so didn't include Foster and Raymond. Both would have easily made my top 5  if I considered the strip work also.

I still voted for them … even though I knew most would have done the same as you did and they would not survive this round. Are we doing rounds? lol

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

For my part, I’m I wasn’t really familiar with comic strip art and voted more on comic book interiors I’ve come across, with some influence from covers as well.

38 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

I still voted for them … even though I knew most would have done the same as you did and they would not survive this round. Are we doing rounds? lol

I hope we do rounds. Should be some interesting match-ups.

So we if we want to continue, here is what the 64 artist bracket would look like.  Where there was a tie in votes, I just took the order as in the results above.

I can create the game polls over the weekend if there is interest.  Post here is you would like to continue or if this is becoming tiresome (trust me, my feelings won't get hurt - the initial survey was fun to see to develop).

2040588399_FireShotCapture239-PDFfiller-64TeamSingleElimination(17(1(33(41(2(18(49.pdf_-www.pdffiller_com.thumb.png.b6388d2489c173e81030cfb8ee5a3010.png

23 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Actually, it was billed as Golden Age Artists in the header.  There was no mention of the poll being limited to comic books.  That said, it is generally accepted that the golden age comics start in 1938 with the first appearance of Superman.  Technically, that would preclude most comic strip artists who achieved their greatest fame for work prior to 1938.  Notice that I mentioned Gearge Rozen, famous for his evocative Shadow pulp covers. Of course, some of his painted covers were transferred to early Shadow Comic covers in 1940, so his work would fit here even if limited to GA comics.  

All of this doesn’t really matter in the slightest anyway, as the poll is fun regardless of how the criteria is sliced.

Now it’s on to the brackets! :whee:

:tink: