• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bracket Is Up - Golden Age Artist May Madness Tournament
3 3

62 posts in this topic

I voted.

I did include Foster, Caniff and Eisner, though they're more newspaper strip artists, because not only were they brilliant but also were extremely influential on many later comic book artists.

Not keen to see Bob Kane listed on the same page or at the same level as these amazing talents. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

I voted.

I did include Foster, Caniff and Eisner, though they're more newspaper strip artists, because not only were they brilliant but also were extremely influential on many later comic book artists.

Not keen to see Bob Kane listed on the same page or at the same level as these amazing talents. 

No Alex Raymond, Paul?

He and Foster are two of my favorites.

6 minutes ago, telerites said:

No Alex Raymond, Paul?

He and Foster are two of my favorites.

Strangely enough, I'm not as familiar with his work.  I've never read Golden Age Flash Gordon.

I know - that's a bit   :whatthe:

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Strangely enough, I'm not as familiar with his work.  I've never read Golden Age Flash Gordon.

I know - that's a bit   :whatthe:

Check it out if you have time.  Mac Raboy followed Raymond on the strip and drew it I think for something like 20 years until he passed away.  That's two pretty good names and a heck of a long run between the two of them. 

Raymond also did Secret Agent X-9, Jungle Jim, and Rip Kirby but his Flash Gordon is my favorite - I'm a sci-fi geek anyway. 

27 minutes ago, telerites said:

There is no prize - it is to see who is the greatest GA artist as voted by the boardies.  

But for you, Kav, I'll give you a no-prize. :banana:

I actually earned a no prize once for spotting a six fingered spiderman.

Just now, telerites said:

Do you still have it?

No I should have kept it but I sold it on ebay.  I also posted is as an auction so got only $20 plus I got a $45 parking ticket when i went to mail it.  I learned later BIN they sell for around $70.

7 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Voted but i was missing some of my favorites :smile:

Did you write them in Jack?  I tried to be as inclusive as possible but like I said earlier, it isn't an exhaustive list.  I knew I would miss some good ones.

Just now, telerites said:

Did you write them in Jack?  I tried to be as inclusive as possible but like I said earlier, it isn't an exhaustive list.  I knew I would miss some good ones.

I didn't but you did pick most of the great ones :banana:

If anyone is interested, so far:

83 artists have received (which includes four write-ins).  There were 111 artists listed.

15 artists have received double digit votes.

19 artists have received only one vote (again, this total includes the fours write-ins).

47 total voters.

On 4/28/2020 at 6:09 AM, telerites said:

For me, the top five or so are easy then it gets tough.

You’re fortunate having the capability to compartmentalize top tier artists in this manner.  For me, it was closer to fifteen which is outside the rules.  Alas, I tried, but ended up compromising on names who I felt didn’t belong on a list of GA artists.  The add name(s) function doesn’t actually provide a selection choice, but rather a dissenting opinion.  Since no one else can see your write-in choice(s) the artists aren’t a viable candidate competing with the others.  

BTW, since you say that participants in the poll can only vote once, I’m assuming you meant that to be on the honor system.  

No matter, having reconsidered I did the honorable thing and recast my ballot to include Jack Binder and George Rozen as add-on candidates, Hopefully my second cast vote will override the first. I left off those great Platinum era newspaper Sunday page artists (like Windsor MacKay, Alex Raymond, etc., whose work I greatly admire, but feel don’t quite fit the GA criteria.

The artists I consider GA produced their most creative work between 1938 and 1950. In retrospect, my inclination is to place in a separate category artists whose fame preceded the accepted start of the comic’s GA (1938) or artists whose most creative work was done after 1955 through the SA.  One of my favorite artists of all time was a newspaper Sunday page illustrator, but he’s not known for producing any GA work unless it was reprinted from newspaper comics.  

There are some great crossover artists who split their work between GA comics and newspaper strips.  Those are certainly relevant to any polling of the era.  Also cover artists whose pulp covers were reprinted on comics. NoteThe funny thing about inclusionary polls is that they still end up being subjective. 

FTR, this is NOT a criticism.  The poll is well done, easy to navigate and enjoyable. Major kudos for coming up with this! My picayune frustrations are purely subjective which is just par for the course with any poll using broad based selection criteria. 

:tink: