• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomb of Dracula

22 posts in this topic

I, wanted some expert opinions on this title so I know this is the place to put it.Do you see this run of comics in high-grade keep gaining value?or do you think it will become stale do that the Blade movies have come to a end.Personally I like the looks of these books and I purchased 2 complete runs both in Vf condition I think popcorn.gif but I did this because I love this run and horror comics yay.gif

In my opinion, as high grades become easily accessible, cost of these books should taper off (although I'm seeing increased demand, which may in fact keep prices rising despite higher availability). That being said, this and Werewolf by Night were by far Marvel's top tier horror/mystery books, as the other titles were primarily re-prints (Crypt of Shadows, Vault of Evil, etc).

For example: I remember being able to easily snag CGC 9.4 copies for around $20-$30 around 2 years ago. That average seems to be moving towards $45-$50 with 9.6 copies routinely going $75+

As with other books, unless you collect in HG, expect modest gains on lower grades (9.0 and less).

I'd have to say that once you get past issue 12, this series is very common indeed in HG. I can't imagine there being price increases for these books except for perhaps 9.8s, and even then those would be moderate.

In VF, or even VF+, you can pick up any issue in the run (except possibly 1 and 10) for considerably below guide, maybe 50% - and even less for the later numbers.

I'd have to say that once you get past issue 12, this series is very common indeed in HG. I can't imagine there being price increases for these books except for perhaps 9.8s, and even then those would be moderate.

In VF, or even VF+, you can pick up any issue in the run (except possibly 1 and 10) for considerably below guide, maybe 50% - and even less for the later numbers.

My LCS tried to hit me up $30 for a 6.5 copy of TOD#15 a while back 27_laughing.gif

Raw-absolutely. My observations have been primarily for certified copies, in which case only the ubber graded issues have really taken off (as you noted).

I'd add #1 as being very common in HG as well.

Jim

For purely aesthetic reasons I have been recommending to anyone who will listen to supplement their collections with Volumes 1-3 of "The Essential Tomb of Dracula" reprints....

The Gene Colan artwork is beyond words in black & white...

Check them out everyone!!!

I plan on getting the TOD essential series since I recently parted with my TOD set.

It took $32.00 to win a Giant Size Dracula #3 which might make it as a 9.4 from a well respected seller. The 1,2,4 and 5 all went for close to or above 9.2 guide...these are pretty hot right now in hi-grade.

The TOD run however, can be had for a song. I recently won a # 6 for $9 and change as well as a #39 for $3.00. Books were both advertised as a 9.0 and were (I received them a couple days ago) definitely in the 9.0/9.2 range. These books currently guide for $52 and $16 respectively. Interesting note, the # 6 issue had a price tag of $25 on it. Which could mean the dealer had it in stock for quite some time.....or he was hoping to sell at a discount.

It's a great market for 8.0 - 9.0 right now. Too rich for the collectors who want reading copies and too low for the hi-grade collectors. I'm having a great time.

For purely aesthetic reasons I have been recommending to anyone who will listen to supplement their collections with Volumes 1-3 of "The Essential Tomb of Dracula" reprints....

Check them out everyone!!!

I plan on getting the TOD essential series since I recently parted with my TOD set.

I am currently reading Essential TOD 1. Just finished issue 13 today (origin of Blade).

You got that right!

I've never been a Gene Colan fan, but Colan in B&W is fantastic. All his work should be this way.

It's a great market for 8.0 - 9.0 right now. Too rich for the collectors who want reading copies and too low for the hi-grade collectors. I'm having a great time.

While there are certainly exceptions, I find this true as well, especially when you can buy these type issues in lots.

would these qualify as high grade?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIANT-SIZE-TOMB-OF-D...2QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOMB-OF-DRACULA-2-MA...2QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOMB-OF-DRACULA-3-IN...2QQcmdZViewItem

One problem is that there won't be a movie tie-in with TOD most likely, or nobody is really going to connect the Marvel run with any movie even if they did (i.e., Blade VII focuses on battling the Marvel Dracula and the other characters from the comic), so in this current specu-market, that can hurt upside.

While there are certainly exceptions, I find this true as well, especially when you can buy these type issues in lots.

A late silver or early bronze strict 8.0 or a sharp VF+ with nice colors can really make you appreciate the dollars saved over the 9.4 and up multiples. The value of eye appeal over structural grade is something I love.

I wish I could get more into lots, but when balancing a dwindling want list and space concerns, it's tougher and tougher to accept the lesser, unnecessary issues in a lot and the demands they can make on a collection. I have a longbox full of dupes/under copies of bronze horror and war that I never get around to getting rid of, so it sits in the middle of my home office. frustrated.gif

Since you sell a lot it makes perfect sense for you and I bet you come out of it with some real gems sometimes.

The TOD run however, can be had for a song.....

Also, has else anyone noticed that complete runs of this series often come up on eBay? I haven't checked recently, but I remember a year ago there would be sometimes two full runs a week up for auction. confused-smiley-013.gif

I wish I could get more into lots, but when balancing a dwindling want list and space concerns, it's tougher and tougher to accept the lesser, unnecessary issues in a lot and the demands they can make on a collection. I have a longbox full of dupes/under copies of bronze horror and war that I never get around to getting rid of, so it sits in the middle of my home office. frustrated.gif

Since you sell a lot it makes perfect sense for you and I bet you come out of it with some real gems sometimes.

Oh yeah, I get plenty of unwanted issues when buying lots. But overall, for me it is easier and quicker and cheaper to obtain a nice collection when willing to buy lots to fill multiple holes or wants at once. I've purchased several complete or nearly complete sets of TOD, and yes, they do appear rather frequently. I just keep what I want, usually purchased much less than if bought individually or in small groups, and then just sell unwanted books soon on Ebay to offset some of the cost. Of course you end up putting out $200-$400 all at once this way, but I find it easier than searching for individual issues and then spending $5-$20 here and there. But as a small dealer on Ebay, the system is set up well for me to be able to make purchases like that. If I was dependant on my paychecks only I would not be able to buy lots.