• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men vs ASM 129 and other big Bronze Keys

45 posts in this topic

I’m about to make the biggest buy I’ve ever made as the most I’ve ever spent on a book is 550.00 and that was recently on a Silver Surfer 1

Ive been collecting for over 25 years and have many keys I’ve gotten for very good prices.

I wanted to buy some keys I don’t have. Some keys that have grown much and were always kinda out of my comfortability economically.

Im looking at  mid grade GSX 1s and 7.5-8.0 ASM 129s

I love both books and to me they are equally as cool

Im looking for some impartial opinions about what book is the better investment.

I know we are talking two very different books but just to bat around ideas.

Any other big Bronze keys are up for discussion and/or recommendation as well.

Hope to here some good feed

Edited by Shoomanfoo
Typo

2 hours ago, Shaun C89 said:

I like both books, but GSX 1 would be the one I recommend getting. A lot will happen when Marvel starts putting out X-men movies.

Yes this is the reason for my recent interest.

oh I’d love to buy both books but I cannot in good conscience make a buy like that on an nonessential item.

why GSX 1 as your preference if you don’t mind?

Edited by Shoomanfoo

My reply is simple.. Buy what u love and don't look at it as a investment. Don't get me wrong big keys will always be a "Investment" but when u start thinking investment on a book it takes ur true love on what u want for the return aspect.. Both books are great GSX #1 and ASM 129.. If all else grab one and then save up for the other book because the prices have stagnated this year and a great time to be choosy on grade to condition.. Enjoy the hobby but domt let specualation and investment steer you to get something because of FOMO.

27 minutes ago, Kalel38 said:

My reply is simple.. Buy what u love and don't look at it as a investment. Don't get me wrong big keys will always be a "Investment" but when u start thinking investment on a book it takes ur true love on what u want for the return aspect.. Both books are great GSX #1 and ASM 129.. If all else grab one and then save up for the other book because the prices have stagnated this year and a great time to be choosy on grade to condition.. Enjoy the hobby but domt let specualation and investment steer you to get something because of FOMO.

Good advice 

The FOMO can the a real MOFO!

Many many books have cooled down like Hulk 181 to AF 15 which in lower grades has been stable unless it's a 3.0-4.0 those have really come down.. But the prob I'm seeing now is how high can any certain book go. We've had a huge spike across the boards from 2012-2019 mid when  it comes to major keys of any grails from thr Silver/Broze and Copper.. Question remains is can prices go higher let's say on most big keys like ASM 1 to FF 1 low grades to higher grades in the Bronze era for eg Hulk 181 9.0 or GSX #1 9.8.. There comes a time when a collector will pause at a price and say if I buy it at 3-4,000 let alone 10k over to 1-2,000 will this have a chance to go higher? Silver age are not rare  like DC grails are from Superman 1 to Batman 1 mind u.. So there comes a time do collectors feel confident if they buy big will it go bigger.. 8yrs ago yes today I'm seeing the returns not as great even when this world  situation ends.. 

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

BUT just coming off a hell of a price run... Full disclosure, haven’t looked at prices in awhile...but I remember it spiked and then cooled months back...

I e been watching and gpa has cooled but not as much on low grades I guess because there more affordable and people are buying them up.

1 hour ago, Kalel38 said:

Many many books have cooled down like Hulk 181 to AF 15 which in lower grades has been stable unless it's a 3.0-4.0 those have really come down.. But the prob I'm seeing now is how high can any certain book go. We've had a huge spike across the boards from 2012-2019 mid when  it comes to major keys of any grails from thr Silver/Broze and Copper.. Question remains is can prices go higher let's say on most big keys like ASM 1 to FF 1 low grades to higher grades in the Bronze era for eg Hulk 181 9.0 or GSX #1 9.8.. There comes a time when a collector will pause at a price and say if I buy it at 3-4,000 let alone 10k over to 1-2,000 will this have a chance to go higher? Silver age are not rare  like DC grails are from Superman 1 to Batman 1 mind u.. So there comes a time do collectors feel confident if they buy big will it go bigger.. 8yrs ago yes today I'm seeing the returns not as great even when this world  situation ends.. 

This was something I haven’t thought of but it’s a really good point.

This is why I’m trying to get either one for gpa and not a penny more.

Im having trouble finding anything not grossly over gpa lately.

Im a midgrade key guy as even say a 1000-1600 dollar purchase is very big for me.

not breaking the bank..just a lot for a personal nonessential 

3 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

This was something I haven’t thought of but it’s a really good point.

This is why I’m trying to get either one for gpa and not a penny more.

Im having trouble finding anything not grossly over gpa lately.

Im a midgrade key guy as even say a 1000-1600 dollar purchase is very big for me.

not breaking the bank..just a lot for a personal nonessential 

That I totally understand because majority of collectors are the cautious ones. They want the book but are not gonna sacrifice or bleed out to aquire there grail. Which is why the lower grades at some point will go way to high eventually then tap out the other collectors behind them

51 minutes ago, Kalel38 said:

That I totally understand because majority of collectors are the cautious ones. They want the book but are not gonna sacrifice or bleed out to aquire there grail. Which is why the lower grades at some point will go way to high eventually then tap out the other collectors behind them

$1,100 
    Last Sale Apr 2020 
    25 Sales  
    $1,050 
    Last Sale Apr 2020 
    25 Sales  
    $875 
    Last Sale Apr 2020 
    25 Sales  
    $750 
    Last Sale Apr 2020 
    25 Sales  
    $725
    Last Sale Apr 2020 
    16 Sales  
    $450
    Last Sale Mar 2020 
    11 Sales  
    $325
    Last Sale Mar 2020 
    6 Sales  
    $290 
    Last Sale Feb 2020 
    9 Sales  
    $260 
    Last Sale Nov 2019 
    1 Sale  
    $240
    No Sale History
    -
    $230 
    Last Sale Apr 2020 
    5 Sales  

Gpa GSX 1

$675
    Last Sale Apr 2020 
    25 Sales  
    $550 
    Last Sale Apr 2020 
    25 Sales  
    $550 
    Last Sale Apr 2020 
    25 Sales  
    $525 
    Last Sale Apr 2020 
    22 Sales  
    $450 
    Last Sale Apr 2020 
    22 Sales  
    $400 
    Last Sale Apr 2020 
    15 Sales  
    $375 
    Last Sale Mar 2020 
    6 Sales  
    $375 
    Last Sale Jan 2020 
    4 Sales  
    $375 
    No Sale History
    -
    $375 
    Last Sale Jan 2020 
    3 Sales  
    $375 
    Last Sale Apr 2020 
    6 Sales  

This one is ASM 129 that’s ever more ridiculous.

.5-2.0 all have same high gpa

3 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Everyone likes GSX more. That's why it's much more expensive. First appearances of 3 major characters vs 1. Squarebound is harder to find in higher grades. Intro into the MCU inevitable. 

...but this is not entire true as you see in the gpa that ASM 129 goes for more than GSX 1 in lower grades.

What are your deciding factors? Do you want one more? Want the best investment? Personally I would buy whatever one I got the best deal on. Asm gets higher grade for the buck. Better investment as well. Punisher came and went from netflix so should be a little cheaper than 2017 2018? I dont have gpa so cant do the work. But I know xmen that was already a huge popular book. They been in tons of non disney movies. But just because disney got the rights fomo set in and book skyrocketed. It is down from its highest point but still artificially inflated. Fomo people bought it already, now speculation people are buying it thinking it is down, with movie schedules falling behind it might drop even more. Buy what you want the most. If I came across both tomorrow they would be up for sale tomorrow night. Many other things I would invest in over these 2 books. 

51 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

...but this is not entire true as you see in the gpa that ASM 129 goes for more than GSX 1 in lower grades.

Cant compare that. Square vs regular comic. Print run. White cover. Everyone though? Sounds like a sith. 

I find GSX a terrible read, boring. Just a setup book. But prefer the newer team over big feet, snowball thrower and pigeon boy. 2nd book with wolverine unless you count the one panel hey look at me I am coming in the next issue, or hey I am leaving, just here for no reason appearances. I like the 1st appearances, find them to be cool characters. Or you could say just some more mutants, lame. 

I like the punisher. Netflix show was good, movies ok ( not the dolph lundgren one it was terrible ) But he just another guy with a gun. ( yeah storm is just a weather wizard that is female and black etc but super powered people excite me more) I think the main reason he became popular was he had that skull on his chest. And a BA name. The Punisher. Kids ate that up. 

12 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Where? Looking at Universal Grades 90 day average 

3.0 GSX $731 vs ASM $439

4.0 $829 vs $544

5.0 $1006 vs $670

6.0 $1211 vs $681

7.0 $1494 vs $891

5 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Where? Looking at Universal Grades 90 day average 

3.0 GSX $731 vs ASM $439

4.0 $829 vs $544

5.0 $1006 vs $670

6.0 $1211 vs $681