• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thoughts on superman # 1

40 posts in this topic

Batman 1 is by far the most common of the GA mega-keys. I'm not sure if there is even another mega-key (restored or unrestored) that's within hailing distance.

Next closest one I can think of would be Captain America #1.

When I was dealing heavy, I can't remember a time I didn't have one of those

two books in stock (Cap 1 or Bat 1).

Batman 1 is by far the most common of the GA mega-keys. I'm not sure if there is even another mega-key (restored or unrestored) that's within hailing distance.

Next closest one I can think of would be Captain America #1.

When I was dealing heavy, I can't remember a time I didn't have one of those

two books in stock (Cap 1 or Bat 1).

You're absolutely right, Cap #1 would have to be second. But still a distant second, in my opinion.

$72,900. a far cry from the $91,200 it reached the first time. Since it didn't meet reserve I'm waiting to see if a sale goes through post-auction. If not, this is the last time it will be listed on eBay. I'm learning eBay is not the best place to sell really high-priced books.. especially not during the summer! My personal thought is this book is easily an $85,000-$90,000 book. (About the price a VG+ Unrestored would sell for) Since its a 9.2 I'm guessing (I purchased it restored and therefore don't know for sure) that this book was at least a 5.0 prior to being restored. To sell for less than a 4.5 price (particularly when this is by far the highest graded copy around and since the restoration was done so well) makes no sense to me. But thats just my opinion. Its a one-of-a-kind book so really its worth whatever someone else is willing to pay.

Its certainly not a $55k or lower book though.. I paid quite alot more than that and have received multiple offers for the book in the $70,000+ range. (The highest all-cash offer I received was $75,000 which I refused at the time. I've received a couple offers higher than that which required time payments which I also turned down)

P.S. That Action 1 you were offered for $47k, was it also a CGC 9.2? a restored 9.2 is alot different than a restored 5.0 smile.gif

hi filter.

the action 1 i refer to was an 8.5 moderate restore graded by cgc, you may have seen it at motor city comics maybe a year ago ...a 9.0 action 1[mod resto] was offered by neatstuff 2 years ago, dont know what that sold for.....i did see a tec 27 vg minus unrestored at the big apple con a year ago for 55k cgc graded...i havnt seen any tec 27s much the last 2 years or so,they are pretty scarce i must admit

But here's the most curious thing: if there are only 45 copies, why is there seemingly always 1 on eBay! Is there just a lot of 'churning' of the book (the commodity view), or is it a lot of fakes being passed off as the real thing (the counterfeit view)?

I'd like to hear other thoughts on when people think Action1/Superman1 prices will peak.

When it comes to high dollar books, I do see a lot of suspect auctions. Here is an auction with no reserve, private feedback, bidder id kept private, no credit card for form of payment, etc. Why would anyone let an unrestored 6.5-7.0 Superman #1 go for a starting bid of $2k with no reserve?

Real Thing? ,

When it comes to high dollar books, I do see a lot of suspect auctions. Here is an auction with no reserve, private feedback, bidder id kept private, no credit card for form of payment, etc. Why would anyone let an unrestored 6.5-7.0 Superman #1 go for a starting bid of $2k with no reserve?

Real Thing? ,

That scan was up on Comiclink as a 4.0 restored with glue on the centerfold. This seller either bought a restored 4.0 and called it an unrestored 6.5-7.0 without bothering to even take their own scan... or else they are stealing scans and selling books they dont own. Considering how many times I've seen this seller swipe scans of expensive books from other sites, and considering the private feedback... my guess is he does not own any of the books he has sold on eBay in the past 3 months. This will also be the second time he has sold this particular book on eBay.. both times with no reserve. (Maybe he has two identical copies?)

Somehow despite all this, eBay still calls him a powerseller smile.gif

At this point, i would not buy a key book of such caliber as a Sups 1 from ebay at all, unless it was one of about 15 known legit dealers. Probably not any book that was listed "private" with private feedback. That is the # 1 flag for a non-legit auction.

elvis

At this point, i would not buy a key book of such caliber as a Sups 1 from ebay at all, unless it was one of about 15 known legit dealers. Probably not any book that was listed "private" with private feedback. That is the # 1 flag for a non-legit auction.

elvis

That's a sad reality, and I don't disagree given recent posts on this subject. Filter mentioned that when he went to San Diego, people said they didn't bid on the Tec27 (first go-around) because they didn't think HE was for real. I'd hoped to sell through eBay, but given the dearth of reprints being based off as real, and now stolen pictures, I don't think eBay will have the credibility to get top dollar. That really sucks, because eBay was the best chance to make a low-comission sale without involving a middleman dealer who will pocket a disproportionate share. Almost makes me wonder if it is the 15 dealers themselves who are trying to kak up eBay's credibility.

I don't think eBay will have the credibility to get top dollar

I would have no problem bidding for a $40,000+ book through e-Bay I would contact the seller and let him know my terms. If I was the winner I would get on a plane, with a certified check, and pick up the book. If the seller had any problem with my desire to pick up the book in person then I wouldn't bid.

If the sellers feedback led me to wonder if he was real I wouldn't make the effort.

Good call, tth2. Batman is to the Goldenage what The Atom is to the Silverage.

Just went thru my Gerbers and here's how they rank (Gerber Rank)

Batman 1(5) 2(4) 3(6) 4(5) 5(5) 6-10(4)

Capt. America 1(5) 2(5) 3(6) 4(4) 5(4) 6(4) 7(5) 8(5) 9&10(4)

Superman 1(6) 2(5) 3(6) 4(6) 5(4) 6(5) 7(5) 8(4) 9 & 10(5)