• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sealed Marvel Subscription Copies

15 posts in this topic

I bought a small stack of sealed subscription copies from the early 1990s (without knowing the titles or issue numbers) and got lucky with a New Mutants 87 and a Thor 412 (I have to double check the numbers on the rest although I didn't recognize anything). Has anyone dealt with these before (of course someone has, this is the CGC forum, right?)  They're more interesting to me bagged, but I don't know if other people feel the same way and I'd be the one selling, not the one buying. Thoughts?

I've never seen one.  I have some from post-2000s DC, but they're direct editions in a plain clear bag with a separate subscription page (loose) inside.  Was Marvel 1990 the same?

23 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I've never seen one.  I have some from post-2000s DC, but they're direct editions in a plain clear bag with a separate subscription page (loose) inside.  Was Marvel 1990 the same?

I'll post some shortly, but yeah. There's an address sheet that covers the cover

1 minute ago, rob_react said:
25 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I'll post some shortly, but yeah. There's an address sheet that covers the cover

Definitely keep them closed, then.  We've got precendents from sportscards where the "unopened pack with an in-demand card showing" are more valuable than an average condition copy of the same card.

12 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Definitely keep them closed, then.  We've got precendents from sportscards where the "unopened pack with an in-demand card showing" are more valuable than an average condition copy of the same card.

Yeah, that's a good comparison

Just now, rob_react said:
13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Yeah, that's a good comparison

New Mutants #87 subscription sealed seems like a winner with automatically more demand than supply.  Whether there will also be a premium for sealed common issues of comic books is debatable, but it seems likely that any "official product" which is a collectible title would be collectible in an usual "official" format (like a sealed subscription copy)... but if the issue is otherwise worthless, it's hard to say what premium would be paid for rarely-seen unopened subscription copy of otherwise worthless.  Then again, there's value in pretty much ALL unopened video games at this point. 

I had some similar to this.  I sold common comics for about $15-$20 per on the boards

Really cool to have those subscription copies, especially the NM #87. I'd keep them in their state, even the NM #87. I had 2 subscriptions in the early 80's to Superman and DC Comics Presents. They just came in plain brown wrappers with my mailing address label on them. It would have been nice to have a polybag like your copies to protect from the elements. I don't think any issue would have ever graded above VF. Some arrived just horribly mangled. I was a kid, so the stories were more important than grade. Thankfully a local comic shop opened up nearby and I learned all about bagging and boarding my precious books!