• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 graded 5 but going to regrade
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hello, I just recently acquired this incredible hulk 181( my 3rd copy) it was not pressed or cleaned previously when it was graded 5.0. I’m thinking of cracking the slab and sending to CGC to have it regraded and pressed and slabbed. Do you think it will help any? Or am I wasting my money and time 

74D55278-384F-4F69-A671-F27969DE02BE.jpeg

A133711F-C5A6-4067-A633-92556807ACA1.jpeg

DC7FB69F-53BF-432F-BCAA-A9F11CA04B69.jpeg

3D5CD778-D420-410C-9AF2-0451ECFA21F8.jpeg

6219745E-E7AE-4580-A9CB-0817439539F0.jpeg

BF0BB313-E162-4ED3-807F-604629975AFB.jpeg

Edited by Mike Oliver

2 minutes ago, Mike Oliver said:

I am I just wanted advice on weather a cleaning and pressing would help the grade or not 

Its possible but its hard to tell.  Some people act like a press/clean is a guarantee to bump the grade.  I don't know how many times i've seen someone hilariously say "going to press/clean this baby to a 9.8" and then it comes back the same grade.  Maybe CBCS graded this higher then the CGC grader will.  Who knows...if it was my book I would send to CGC/CCS for press and regrade with my expecations of being content if it stays the same grade or happy if it gains even half a grade point.

What is happening with that back corner? Slight bend or is it stained? Hard to tell.

I would def check the notes. Spine has a lot of ticks. It is also really hard to tell because I find books in slabs tend to hide a lot of potential flaws. The colours on the cover behind the logo behind seem faded. It is possible this could get 5.5-6.0 from what I see. Which, on a book like this is worth it. I think it is worth it even to get it into a CGC slab if you do plan to sell it. I think the money spent clean, press and having them grade it will at least make it worth getting into a CGC slab even if it comes back the same grade. 

3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Look at the difference in $$$ in grades from 5.0 to 6.0.

https://comics.gpanalysis.com/try-out/sales-data/41/181

From $1925 at 5.0 to $2100 at 6.0.

IIMHO it's not worth regrading, even if you got a full grade bump. Just saying. :)

That's a good point, 181 is currently experiencing a substantial traffic jam in pricing with midgrade books.  But if its a copy for long term holding, maybe you still roll the dice and see how things shake out down the line.  hm

2 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

These are the grader notes 

DAA408B1-2C41-457A-8FD4-FAC612ECAC8F.png

Bad note writing.  It doesn't have commas in that last two long lines.   Does it have a rust bottom staple?  It looks darker than the top staple.

On the other hand, it looks like improvable after the pressing and cleaning.   It doesn't matter but CGC graded is saleable rather than a voldt case.