• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value of restored books graded vs ungraded...

12 posts in this topic

With all the negitivity attached to a purple label, do you think that not cgc grading a restored book[leave it raw] would fetch you a better price as opposed to putting the dreaded purple label on it.[with of course the resto still being disclosed..]

I've seen it both ways on ebay- sometimes a raw book with disclosed resto goes much higher than it seems it would ahve gone if PLOD'ed. Not enough head to head comparisons to know for sure. I think it really depends on the book, if it's a key book and CGC PLODs it with minor resto not involving trimming, I would personally bid much higher on that book than a raw with the same description of resto (have to worry if other resto is there and not disclosed).

If you do a search, you'll find this has generated more threads than any other subjects bar Hulk 181, pressing and the forthcoming crash.

I think the general consensus is that this isn't such a big deal in GA, especially with SP labels. Plus, CGC go easy a bit here and don't always assign a PLOD, probably because if they did for every microdot of glue or ct, there would only be 3 unrestored books printed before about 1940.

Here a question. I know there are formulas to price the value of a restored book (ie: 50% of guide for GA books) but how do you apply that forumula to the same book that typically sells for 3x guide or more when its unrestored? Do we also apply the 3x factor when valuing the PLOD? I'm taking about a book that is listed as "scarce" in the OS guide.