• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it just me or is this comic ridiculously overpriced

14 posts in this topic

yup, and back then $500 was a lot of money for a comic. I'd go to a convention and buy a couple of boxes of silver age books for that much. of course, you could have also bought 5 or 6 copies of Magnus 1 and those would fetch you about $50 nowadays.

In 1980 it was about $20, but then again, that could have gotten some nice stuff then too.

If you want to own it, buy a nice VG copy. Those will be overpriced too, but won't cost as much as a used car.

more like 4.0, although some stuff, 6.0, 7.0. jimmy olsens, lois lane, worlds finest (and some other DC stuff), virtually any charlton or dell with a 12 cent cover as well as some late 60s marvel third string titles could be found in dollar boxes at that time in Fine to F/VF. I think a lot of those Jimmy Olsen's were like $6 in OPG in NM at the time.

anyway, two short boxes is about 200-225 bagged and boarded books, maybe less. you could get some pretty decent stuff out of $2 bins back then as well. I was just looking at some books I bought at a con in 1993 that still have their prices on them and they were like $3-$4 for solid VF copies of mid-60s DCs like Batman and Action comics. My recollection is that I would have bought a stack of them and gotten a further discount.

Remember, unless it was Spidey, X-Men and maybe FF, a lot of marvel Silver age was kind of slow then, as was a lot of DC (prices for non-Neal Adams/non-key Batman SA were still pretty low). People were busy spending $100 on Harbinger #1, plunking $50 down on New Mutants 87, buying 500 copies of Spawn 1 or Magnus 25 (or 2000 copies of Turok 1) or paying way too much for a mid-grade copy of ASM 129.