• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking Old School Printing Supplies & Resources

8 posts in this topic

Greetings all,
       I'm currently in creative collaboration with another artist who's seriously interested in tracking down and obtaining old comic printing supplies, or any and all old-school printing/publishing supplies or resources. This includes Ben Day, Craftint, print stripping materials, etc. He's already developed a method to duplicate the exact look of old color comics and is seeking to refine this process. He and I are working on a creative project to produce new creative content based upon the Golden-Age style. If anyone has any sources or leads to help him secure any of these vintage materials, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

— The Ghost Man

Edited by The Ghost Man
Left out info

Welcome to the Boards!  I've always felt screen printing with the right inks might achieve the right look.  Perhaps you can seek out some old lead paint!

1 hour ago, The Ghost Man said:

Greetings all,
       I'm currently in creative collaboration with another artist who's seriously interested in tracking down and obtaining old comic printing supplies, or any and all old-school printing/publishing supplies or resources. This includes Ben Day, Craftint, print stripping materials, etc. He's already developed a method to duplicate the exact look of old color comics and is seeking to refine this process. He and I are working on a creative project to produce new creative content based upon the Golden-Age style. If anyone has any sources or leads to help him secure any of these vintage materials, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

— The Ghost Man

Where are you located? If I were in your shoes I would go to some local art schools or colleges and see if they have any print or letterpress classes. Here in Pasadena they have a collection of old typeset at the Art Center College. The people who run those classes may have contacts. Beyond that maybe you could call some newspapers and ask if they could put you in touch with retired pressmen who might have contacts. Getting that old material might actually be easier. I would search Ebay and start running ads in Craigslist; I bet someone might love to unload that stuff.

2 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Where are you located? If I were in your shoes I would go to some local art schools or colleges and see if they have any print or letterpress classes. Here in Pasadena they have a collection of old typeset at the Art Center College. The people who run those classes may have contacts. Beyond that maybe you could call some newspapers and ask if they could put you in touch with retired pressmen who might have contacts. Getting that old material might actually be easier. I would search Ebay and start running ads in Craigslist; I bet someone might love to unload that stuff.

My father works for a recently defunct art college in CT. I don't know what's left there, but if you are serious PM exactly what your looking for and I can reach out. 

They still teach private classes there,  but are no longer accredited. Not enough art majors to keep them afloat. 

Thanks 50YrsCollctngCmcs, I'm located in Pennsylvania. That's good advice and recommendations that I'll pursue.

KCOComics, I've reached out to my friend on this and am awaiting the exact list of things he is seeking. As soon as I get it, I'll PM you with it and thanks in advance!

OtherEric, thanks for the welcome, and you are correct it's Richard Benson aka The Avenger as my avatar.

Edited by The Ghost Man

FWIW, I've looked for decades for the same materials you're looking for.  Many of the manufacturers (including Craftint and Zipatone) have been defunct for a very long time.  When I started my career, a couple of my mentors still had a few sheets of some of this material but that's been gone for 10 years now.  Aside from the rare find of someone who just kept it and didn't use it, I think it's all gone.  However, you can use modern equivalents that are still used for manga.  Here is one example:

https://www.amazon.com/IC-Manga-Screen-Tone-S-61/dp/B004GTLA0K/ref=pd_lpo_14_img_0/136-8011411-7893706?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004GTLA0K&pd_rd_r=b8c18dc0-55e0-4bd5-9a3e-94d6a22f74c0&pd_rd_w=v6dpD&pd_rd_wg=YOZXD&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=4A05ZVZ6D6ACB4Y1ZP9K&psc=1&refRID=4A05ZVZ6D6ACB4Y1ZP9K

10 hours ago, The Ghost Man said:

Greetings all,

Thanks in advance,

— The Ghost Man

I think most of those old supplies and pieces of equipment have already been bought up by the guys who are trying to print "original" Action 1s and  Tec 27s.