• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is your local comic store open?
1 1

47 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2020 at 3:05 PM, aardvark88 said:
On 5/31/2020 at 2:34 PM, Crops068 said:

The LCS I go to here is open, but I have really lost interest in them.  They are not friendly AT ALL. 

+1 probably due to the stress of whether his landlord will apply for the Canada fed rent rebate to cover 75% of his monthly lease effective June 1, 2020. If not, the LCS will likely run out of cash flow and be forced to close in a few months with no comicons to dump overstock at. Other LCS is extending his 1/2 price bin stock sale from 1 week to 3 weeks to cover his full monthly rent.

Which one of the LCS's are you referring to here since there's not really that many of them left here in the city?  ???

The big one here in the downtown city centre doesn't really have that much of a bin stock to speak of, or is this where they are going to win out in the long run by scooping up all of the comic book customers as the other shops close down as this virus continues on?  hm

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Which one of the LCS's are you referring to here since there's not really that many of them left here in the city?  ???

The big one here in the downtown city centre ... is this where they are going to win out in the long run by scooping up all of the comic book customers as the other shops close down as this virus continues on?  hm

I am not going to name names but 20% of the Vancouver, BC area LCS are ready to fall. Location, location, location. GAC Vancouver is not going to pick up any suburban subscribers unless they work downtown since folks scared to take busy skytrain and crowded buses to the core due to Covid.

1 of the 2 Bellingham comic stores is about to close after about 39 years in business. North Seattle, WA Comics Dungeon just closed after 28 years in business, and they had solid back issue stock.

5 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

I am not going to name names but 20% of the Vancouver, BC area LCS are ready to fall. Location, location, location. GAC Vancouver is not going to pick up any suburban subscribers unless they work downtown since folks scared to take busy skytrain and crowded buses to the core due to Covid.

1 of the 2 Bellingham comic stores is about to close after about 39 years in business. North Seattle, WA Comics Dungeon just closed after 28 years in business, and they had solid back issue stock.

I have to believe there are a lot of marginal LCS about to close everywhere.  And I think there are a lot of businesses in other industries in a similar position.

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

I have to believe there are a lot of marginal LCS about to close everywhere.  And I think there are a lot of businesses in other industries in a similar position.

But, at least around here...... the craft breweries are opening back up :grin:

6 hours ago, aardvark88 said:
10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The big one here in the downtown city centre ... is this where they are going to win out in the long run by scooping up all of the comic book customers as the other shops close down as this virus continues on?  hm

Maybe it's been awhile since I've travelled to the various LCS's throughout the city, but I can think of only four shops in the surrounding municipalities and you would have to go pretty far out into the boonies before hitting the 5th and 6th ones after that?  (shrug)

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

it's been awhile since I've travelled to the various LCS's throughout the city, but I can think of only four shops in the surrounding municipalities and you would have to go pretty far out into the boonies before hitting the 5th and 6th ones after that?  (shrug)

5th and 6th toy/gaming/comic stores are in malls (New West) or across the street from Metrotown mall, Burnaby. This does not include the 50 weekend a year flea market comic, toy, graphic novel/mag dealers in the boonies of Cloverdale and Abbotsford.

Mine is open and reports that they're doing fine. Not rockin' it or anything, but fine. They have been well run and do a lot of successful sales that draw big crowds, so I wonder if they'll try and do anything similar.

I've been showing up weekly instead of every 2-3 weeks like I did pre-COVID and spending a bit more than I usually do.