• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warehouse find yields 1 million comics

96 posts in this topic

From the Nov. 2005 CBG:

"A warehouse find of one million comics (1977-81) was recently purchased by Neat Stuff Collectibles, New York. The comics, graded at Very Fine to Near Mint, were from an original comics distributors stock of titles between 1977 and 1981. "The stock is complete and intact", said Neat Stuff Sales manager Ross Koondel.

"They're still in the bundles and it looks like they're complete between 1977 and 1981 ... I say probably because there's so much it isn't possible for us to inspect it all before storing it."

The first straps that were cut yielded a pile of 1,500 copies of Uncanny X-Men #104.

"When was the last time someone came across something like this?" Koondel said. "That's the most exciting thing about it... When you add up all the $5, $10 and $15 comics, it's an astronomical value."

Koondel estimated that 80% of the comics are marvel titles, followed by DC Giant Size issues. The find includes Archie, Harvey, and any comics title distributed between 1977 and 1981. it also includes a large number of comics from smaller publishers, highlighted by late bronze age Whitmans, Koondel said. "The titles in this collection were produced just as the company was phasing out of comics, " he said.

The entire lot is available from Neat Stuff. "There are up to one million comics, " Koondel said. "We'll deduct 200,000 because they're housed in original distributor pallets, meaning the top and bottom books are probably damaged. but the inside has at least a VF average, and many books are mint."

The collection is available as a lot. Interested collectors or buyers can contact Neat Stuff Sales managers at (800) 370-3315, (267) 566-2046, or RossKoondel@yahoo.com."

I don't work for Neat Stuff, just thought you may find this interesting.

I don't understand why the would announce it this way. Who is going to pay anything for an X-Men 104 for the next year or two while he's flooding the market? It'll be like Cannon #1 all over again where he can't give them away fast enough.

I understand he wants press, but making everyone feel like there's a glut coming in like a tsunami makiing late bronze era books [more] worthless is probably not good press.

I don't understand why the would announce it this way. Who is going to pay anything for an X-Men 104 for the next year or two while he's flooding the market? It'll be like Cannon #1 all over again where he can't give them away fast enough.

I understand he wants press, but making everyone feel like there's a glut coming in like a tsunami makiing late bronze era books [more] worthless is probably not good press.

I thought that was odd as well. Maybe he assumes that most eBay buyers don't read CBG?

IWho is going to pay anything for an X-Men 104 for the next year or two while he's flooding the market?

This is just craziness, and if this find ever comes to market, practically guarantees rock bottom prices for all of the 104-143 X-Men CGC copies.

If you're not dying tomorrow, and are a true collector, just wait a bit and buy all the Bronze you want. thumbsup2.gif

Ah...X-Men # 104 in CGC 9.8 for less than the price of slabbing, here I come!

having gotten bundles of this type i can state that a lot get damaged

with that said, thanks neat stuff for flooding the market!

Does this stuff sound like the warehouse copies that Bakertownepartners was selling on ebay? I bought some of their bronze lots that almost exclusively featured books from this time period and while the copies are obviously unread, the BEST COPIES graded out at VG/FN with plenty of VGs just from being crinkled or poorly stored. Plus a thin sheen of microdust on everything--your hands get filthy touching these books that have never seen bags.

Not to say the NeatStuff copies in the middle of the bundles aren't far better. Perhaps BT was selling stuff from near the tops and bottoms. I wonder if they gave up on the stuff and NeatStuff then bought it all? Anyway, yes, NeatStuff is looking for one buyer so thus the publicity.

Marc

yup, the bakertown stuff was a mixed bag. some of the stuff was in nice shape, but most of the stuff where they dumped 5 copies on you per lot was messed up.

at the end of the day I think I probably paid way more than I should have for that stuff, particularly a few of the magazine lots. and with the comics, now I have like 10 copies of some bronze age books. i really don't need that many.

I didn't get the impression baker had nearly this much quantity.

yup, the bakertown stuff was a mixed bag. some of the stuff was in nice shape, but most of the stuff where they dumped 5 copies on you per lot was messed up.

at the end of the day I think I probably paid way more than I should have for that stuff, particularly a few of the magazine lots. and with the comics, now I have like 10 copies of some bronze age books. i really don't need that many.

I didn't get the impression baker had nearly this much quantity.

I was told they didn't own the books themselves, so maybe they were just allowed some scraps to see how they did with the bronze stuff. Judging from the bids, not very well.

Did you buy a lot of the silver? Did you ever get any Classics Illustrateds that weren't heavily inked? I did get a few VG/FN Archies that were quite nice but typically I'd have to grade the silver age items as VG- or GD/VG due to warping and light to moderate ink. Of course I would see others on ebay then reselling the copies as FN or FN/VF. frown.gif

IWho is going to pay anything for an X-Men 104 for the next year or two while he's flooding the market?

This is just craziness, and if this find ever comes to market, practically guarantees rock bottom prices for all of the 104-143 X-Men CGC copies.

If you're not dying tomorrow, and are a true collector, just wait a bit and buy all the Bronze you want. thumbsup2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey, I want everyone to know that I found 25,000 NM Hulk 181's in a warehouse lot last week. The worst copy was vf+ and I'll be selling this as a lot. Please feel free to dump your books for cheap on the market before I sell these by the thousands on eBay!

Does this stuff sound like the warehouse copies that Bakertownepartners was selling on ebay? I bought some of their bronze lots that almost exclusively featured books from this time period and while the copies are obviously unread, the BEST COPIES graded out at VG/FN with plenty of VGs just from being crinkled or poorly stored. Plus a thin sheen of microdust on everything--your hands get filthy touching these books that have never seen bags.

Depends on how they're stored. EBay seller Bettywalls was selling comics clearly obtained from bundle stacks and a large majority of the first batch he sold were in immaculate condition. Even the ones near the top and bottom were fairly nice copies except for distribution spray and creasing where the traps were...

NeatStuff could very well have a truckload of beautiful unread Bronze on its hands...

Jim