• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on submitting graded comic for Signature series

5 posts in this topic

Hey all, happy to be here! Super newbie so I apologize of this questions seems redundant or has been asked alot!

I recently starting buying some more collectible and expensive comics for my collection which mostly included some VF older sets and a few newer series. One of them being a 9.6 Dark Knight Returns, Batman being my favorite Super Hero Iam more then happy with the 9.6 for the price I paid.

Then I saw that CGC is accepting submissions for Frank Miller signatures and I really want to jump in that while I can! My question being, should I pay to have it re-pressed when they take it out of the current case for signing and re slabbing? Or should I just have them sign it and slab it up? I only ask because it looks like it was pressed before this current grading, so does opening it up/having it sign warrant another pressing or do you guys think it will look good without it?

Any info is much obliged, thanks all! 

15 hours ago, colossus127 said:

Hey all, happy to be here! Super newbie so I apologize of this questions seems redundant or has been asked alot!

I recently starting buying some more collectible and expensive comics for my collection which mostly included some VF older sets and a few newer series. One of them being a 9.6 Dark Knight Returns, Batman being my favorite Super Hero Iam more then happy with the 9.6 for the price I paid.

Then I saw that CGC is accepting submissions for Frank Miller signatures and I really want to jump in that while I can! My question being, should I pay to have it re-pressed when they take it out of the current case for signing and re slabbing? Or should I just have them sign it and slab it up? I only ask because it looks like it was pressed before this current grading, so does opening it up/having it sign warrant another pressing or do you guys think it will look good without it?

Are you hoping for a 9.8 or worried it may not keep a 9.6?  There's no way to say if a pressing would help it w/o seeing the book.  Do you know what kept it from being a 9.8 (ie are there any grader notes)?  You could always put some good scans in the Buddy Can You spare a Grade forum, though it's tough to tell the diff between 9.6 & 9.8 from just pics.  With those thicker covers, you can get a crease down the spine from just bending the cover open to read it

15 hours ago, colossus127 said:

I would just get it signed. Getting it re-pressed seems like a waste of money to me. 2c

2 hours ago, csaag said:

Are you hoping for a 9.8 or worried it may not keep a 9.6?  There's no way to say if a pressing would help it w/o seeing the book.  Do you know what kept it from being a 9.8 (ie are there any grader notes)?  You could always put some good scans in the Buddy Can You spare a Grade forum, though it's tough to tell the diff between 9.6 & 9.8 from just pics.  With those thicker covers, you can get a crease down the spine from just bending the cover open to read it

Iam not to worried about the grading that much, Iam happy with the 9.6, but after you mentioned the notes and "Spare a Grade" forum I think I would be a fool to not take advantage of that. The comic looks pristine to me, but Iam fairly new to self grading comics, Iam a long time card collector/grader but comics is a whole other beast. Ill probably upload some scans and do some more research on the grade itself, thanks!

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would just get it signed. Getting it re-pressed seems like a waste of money to me. 2c

Awesome, exactly the info I was looking for, thanks!