• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dragon's Lair & Space Ace Original Poster Artwork on Heritage

103 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Bronty said:

350 is the most any one piece has sold for. 

$350,000! Can you say which game cover it was? Dragon's Lair's art really didn't do much at all compared to that. I would really like to know a top 5. I'm attempting to search Heritage. But right now, I can't even think of a cover I would want that I would pay $350,000 for. I guess I thought Dragon's Lair would be in the high range. Kind of depressing to know that people are getting to $350,000.

There are a few titles I'm kind of slowly looking for. Not really seriously though as I would rather see modern poster commission projects over the original artwork for the most part. Just like a Dragon's Lair I and II poster, I would take a Castlevania 1, 2, and 3 poster for example. But that Castlevania NES cover is really good. Same with Contra 1, 2, and 3. Gradius 1, 2, 3, and maybe Gradius V. Life Force. Ninja Gaiden 1, 2, and 3. Golgo 13 1 and 2. Double Dragon 1 and 2. Ghosts n Goblins and Ghouls and Ghosts. You get the idea. Those classic long running series.

28 minutes ago, GeneticNinja said:

$350,000! Can you say which game cover it was? Dragon's Lair's art really didn't do much at all compared to that. I would really like to know a top 5. I'm attempting to search Heritage. But right now, I can't even think of a cover I would want that I would pay $350,000 for. I guess I thought Dragon's Lair would be in the high range. Kind of depressing to know that people are getting to $350,000.

There are a few titles I'm kind of slowly looking for. Not really seriously though as I would rather see modern poster commission projects over the original artwork for the most part. Just like a Dragon's Lair I and II poster, I would take a Castlevania 1, 2, and 3 poster for example. But that Castlevania NES cover is really good. Same with Contra 1, 2, and 3. Gradius 1, 2, 3, and maybe Gradius V. Life Force. Ninja Gaiden 1, 2, and 3. Golgo 13 1 and 2. Double Dragon 1 and 2. Ghosts n Goblins and Ghouls and Ghosts. You get the idea. Those classic long running series.

I’m not going to comment on which one as I know the buyer of that one values his privacy but it’s one you’d know instantly.   

Most of the ones one your list are both major grail level pieces and almost none of them exist in collections.    Those are almost exclusively Japanese pieces you’ve named.  

Contra is one from your list that is western (UK origin rather than US actually) and does belong to me along with a contra 3 (US origin) prelim.   I took a little group shot a while back.   

79343344-F31E-48D3-9A62-A9039E054BDE.jpeg

Edited by Bronty

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

350 is the most any one piece has sold for.   

I'm repeating myself, but while not a fan (really more curious than collecting/chasing) that really isn't 'top' money for a nostalgia segment that just dominated all kids for 15 years at least (beginning NES and ending before PS1).

10 minutes ago, vodou said:

I'm repeating myself, but while not a fan (really more curious than collecting/chasing) that really isn't 'top' money for a nostalgia segment that just dominated all kids for 15 years at least (beginning NES and ending before PS1).

I agree, but at the same time , the brave few making the first six figure purchases have to be rewarded for taking the risk in a relatively new segment at new price levels.   I think they will be as things develop/mature. 

Edited by Bronty

7 minutes ago, vodou said:

Fun picture!

If only the logo was on an overlay...no need to crop the art for US release.

Good eye - cropped on both top and bottom for US release.   Left and right for that matter but that’s because the early Konami US releases all had those gradient silver bars left and right 

Edited by Bronty

Just now, Bronty said:

I agree, but at the same time , the brave few making the first six figure purchases have to be rewarded for taking the risk in a new segment at new price levels.   I think they will be as things develop/mature. 

Care to share, if you know, after 350 what the next down and where the cluster lies -of high end spend? To your comment, if you can afford to drop 350k on anything, most likely it's not coming out of an account with only 375k in it to begin with. That comment would apply to any price above the mean/median regional income/disposable lines and also the same line for the particular hobby in question. As you've stated, people at that level aren't going to sell at a loss to pay the mortgage after a layoff.

Just now, vodou said:

Care to share, if you know, after 350 what the next down and where the cluster lies -of high end spend? To your comment, if you can afford to drop 350k on anything, most likely it's not coming out of an account with only 375k in it to begin with. That comment would apply to any price above the mean/median regional income/disposable lines and also the same line for the particular hobby in question. As you've stated, people at that level aren't going to sell at a loss to pay the mortgage after a layoff.

One was 350, one was joint owned and 175 paid for a half share, so basically 350 again, one 200, and a cluster of five or so at 150

50 minutes ago, Bronty said:

and a cluster of five or so at 150

So my perspective is 150 is where the high end comfort level spending is, where those paying 150 "now" can see (aspire to) 350 as a motivated offer in the not too far off future. I don't know what 350 would be looking for. Different world at the very top. Always.

If one of those 150s becomes 250 or 300 in the next couple of years, then the highest tier is kissing $1m, which is the line in the sand for so many broad-based hobbies. That's in line with comics/comic art, so maybe 5-8 years off? I'm not comfortable chasing that tiger but I think others with greater interest and experience could/would even where things are "today" (versus 10+ years ago when one could get in "cheap").

I think most of those are simply not looking to be flipped, tbh.   

Everyone's got a price, I guess, but some people look to sell immediately and some will maybe sell in 20 years, maybe, if they can be properly motivated.   Overall more of the latter than the former IMO.   

Edited by Bronty

40 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I think most of those are simply not looking to be flipped, tbh.   

Everyone's got a price, I guess, but some people look to sell immediately and some will maybe sell in 20 years, maybe, if they can be properly motivated.   Overall more of the latter than the former IMO.   

Right. That's me in nearly all cases too. Perhaps I'm projecting but even when there isn't a flip-goal at work, I mentally price what I'd pay against what an expected reasonable return would look like, should I change my feeling on the thing in 3-5 years. That informs my buying strategy much more than being an actual exit strategy. Assuming others think like that, but maybe not?

31 minutes ago, vodou said:

Right. That's me in nearly all cases too. Perhaps I'm projecting but even when there isn't a flip-goal at work, I mentally price what I'd pay against what an expected reasonable return would look like, should I change my feeling on the thing in 3-5 years. That informs my buying strategy much more than being an actual exit strategy. Assuming others think like that, but maybe not?

I think a lot of people do, but I also think most of the buyers in this case don't care.

17 hours ago, Bronty said:

Mostly with a few collectors is accurate .   But the majority is corporately owned and/or destroyed.   Particularly the Japanese stuff and early on a lot of western games recycled Japanese art.   It was until about 1988 that some began to be done in the US and really it wasn’t until 1990 that most all of it for the domestic market was domestically created.   

Nice exhibit of a few corporate originals here .   There have been others including Amano’s Square material, Ohrai’s Koei material, and others.   https://www.siliconera.com/a-tour-through-square-enixs-chrono-trigger-museum/

My Amano poster from the Bloodstained Kickstarter campaign finally showed up. They didn't forget to include a rolled version of Ayami Kojima's Bloodstained poster too. I love her artwork.

16 hours ago, Bronty said:

I’m not going to comment on which one as I know the buyer of that one values his privacy but it’s one you’d know instantly.   

Most of the ones one your list are both major grail level pieces and almost none of them exist in collections.    Those are almost exclusively Japanese pieces you’ve named.  

Contra is one from your list that is western (UK origin rather than US actually) and does belong to me along with a contra 3 (US origin) prelim.   I took a little group shot a while back.   

79343344-F31E-48D3-9A62-A9039E054BDE.jpeg

Hopefully it isn't a cover I'm looking for. I do gravitate towards the Japanese covers. But I know a few of the ones I would like to own are not by Japanese artists. I just started with the NES because when I think video games and covers, there are certain time points.

1. The time period when I played Oregon Trail on probably some Apple computer. Also, I have my old Commodore 64 disc drive but no keyboard or games for that matter. I've been going through the titles on wiki and only strongly remember the Olympic Games titles.

I know I had two Atari systems but I don't remember them fondly at all. Wiki says they were probably the VCS / 2600 and 5200. I do remember the wood of the VCS and because of that time period wood details were fairly popular I think. I know I had Pitfall, Empire Strikes Back, Spider-Man, and a James Bond game for the Atari systems. The others I can't remember. I need to check wiki on the Atari games too.

I had other systems like Intellivision and Vectrex. Also, many small portables like Game & Watch titles, Frogger and other small arcades by Coleco. I still have my old Odyssey system, I need to check which version.

2. The arcade time period, which I enjoyed because of all the lights and sounds. And of course back then arcades were the top end games. Many of the arcades in malls were near the food area. So I remember the smells. That is something Disney World uses to make people happy. Also some arcades were in larger entertainment places that had batting cages, miniature golf, and go carts. I remember playing the original Street Fighter, the one with the large cushions buttons that you had to hit. As well as all the big moving SEGA arcade games like Thunderblade, Afterburner, and Outrun at the larger entertainment places.

3. Then the NES time period. This was the real start of things. Shigeru Miyamoto once said how the transition was from selling game time to selling game play. And although not every NES game was great. The thought put into so many of those titles compared to the old ones and games coming from arcades was fairly apparent even to a kid like me back then. Take Castlevania. Even with a time limit. As a kid, you feel like you are exploring the castle. Encountering all the classic monster characters. And the majority of sequels kept building better worlds in terms of graphics and sounds.

That's some Contra collection. I was the kid who cut the box covers and put them on his wall. Contra 1 and 2 were up there. I stopped doing that when the SNES came around.

That's interesting that they used the European artwork for the Contra cover. I love those first 3 games on NES and SNES. I know I played first two a lot in arcades but I can't remember beating them. But I do recall Contra being one of those games that I remember being better at home in terms of gameplay compared to the difficulty of the arcades although the arcade looks better. I own Shattered Soldier but I remember calling it Contra Boss Battles. And I made it to the final boss once without dying only to die because I switched to the wrong weapon by accident. I broke a controller because of that.

I never played Contra Force, Hard Corps, or Contra 4. I'll give them a look.

The only one I really want is this:

Retro Isle - Sinclair ZX81 Original Documents

Yes. I was the loser kid that was given the "mini computer" instead of Atari 2600 for Christmas. Nonetheless, Dad was right: the future was in programming not playing "stupid" games ;)

8 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

My Amano poster from the Bloodstained Kickstarter campaign finally showed up. They didn't forget to include a rolled version of Ayami Kojima's Bloodstained poster too. I love her artwork.

Hopefully it isn't a cover I'm looking for. I do gravitate towards the Japanese covers. But I know a few of the ones I would like to own are not by Japanese artists. I just started with the NES because when I think video games and covers, there are certain time points.

1. The time period when I played Oregon Trail on probably some Apple computer. Also, I have my old Commodore 64 disc drive but no keyboard or games for that matter. I've been going through the titles on wiki and only strongly remember the Olympic Games titles.

I know I had two Atari systems but I don't remember them fondly at all. Wiki says they were probably the VCS / 2600 and 5200. I do remember the wood of the VCS and because of that time period wood details were fairly popular I think. I know I had Pitfall, Empire Strikes Back, Spider-Man, and a James Bond game for the Atari systems. The others I can't remember. I need to check wiki on the Atari games too.

I had other systems like Intellivision and Vectrex. Also, many small portables like Game & Watch titles, Frogger and other small arcades by Coleco. I still have my old Odyssey system, I need to check which version.

2. The arcade time period, which I enjoyed because of all the lights and sounds. And of course back then arcades were the top end games. Many of the arcades in malls were near the food area. So I remember the smells. That is something Disney World uses to make people happy. Also some arcades were in larger entertainment places that had batting cages, miniature golf, and go carts. I remember playing the original Street Fighter, the one with the large cushions buttons that you had to hit. As well as all the big moving SEGA arcade games like Thunderblade, Afterburner, and Outrun at the larger entertainment places.

3. Then the NES time period. This was the real start of things. Shigeru Miyamoto once said how the transition was from selling game time to selling game play. And although not every NES game was great. The thought put into so many of those titles compared to the old ones and games coming from arcades was fairly apparent even to a kid like me back then. Take Castlevania. Even with a time limit. As a kid, you feel like you are exploring the castle. Encountering all the classic monster characters. And the majority of sequels kept building better worlds in terms of graphics and sounds.

That's some Contra collection. I was the kid who cut the box covers and put them on his wall. Contra 1 and 2 were up there. I stopped doing that when the SNES came around.

That's interesting that they used the European artwork for the Contra cover. I love those first 3 games on NES and SNES. I know I played first two a lot in arcades but I can't remember beating them. But I do recall Contra being one of those games that I remember being better at home in terms of gameplay compared to the difficulty of the arcades although the arcade looks better. I own Shattered Soldier but I remember calling it Contra Boss Battles. And I made it to the final boss once without dying only to die because I switched to the wrong weapon by accident. I broke a controller because of that.

I never played Contra Force, Hard Corps, or Contra 4. I'll give them a look.

Contra 4 I can highly recommend .   Force is a super Mario 2 situation where it was another title rebranded into the franchise - gameplay wise not great.    I haven’t played hard corps 

2 hours ago, vodou said:

Yes. I was the loser kid that was given the "mini computer" instead of Atari 2600 for Christmas. Nonetheless, Dad was right: the future was in programming not playing "stupid" games ;)

It’s a cool image, and should be cheap if you find it.   That’s a win in my book.

4 hours ago, vodou said:

I was the loser kid that got Intellivision. I recently looked around for those old games and was shocked to see sealed copies for <10 dollars. HA!

Beyond that it was PC games for me, Temple of Apshai, Wizardry, A Bard's Tale, and the first King's Quest and then I aged out.

4 hours ago, Bronty said:

It’s a cool image, and should be cheap if you find it.   That’s a win in my book.

Not gonna be cheap, I forgot to note it's by John Harris. $25k would be approximately correct. Maybe more in a bidding situation.