• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who had comics that were thrown out by their parents back in the day

31 posts in this topic

I know when I was 4-8 years old I had about 100 comics that got thrown out when I wasnt looking shocked.gif ........I remember reading the origin of the fantstic four probably a reprint and some spiderman stuff..........but Id like to know what else was in that pile that might be worth something....... confused.gif

..........now that I think of it I had the movie books to all 3 starwars movies,grease,superman 1 and 2,Jaws 1 and all 3 indiana jones movies

Never had any comics thrown out 'cause my mom always knew I collected them. Although...when I was about 8 I had the fastest Hot Wheel car in the neighborhood (for those interested it was the Jack Rabbit Special). I was hanging out with a big group of kids & one guy wanted to buy it, pretty soon a bidding war started & I walked away with a huge boot box full of old baseball cards that one of the kids had got from his father. I was not then (mid 70s)or now, a baseball card collector but the sheer quantity made me do the trade. When I got home, I mentioned to my Dad that I needed a new Hot Wheels car 'cause I had just traded mine for some baseball cards. I guess he thought I got a pack or something, 'cause he gave me one of those "stupid" looks. I showed him the box & he then thought it was ok, thumbing through them & commenting on some of the stars he used to enjoy. The cards were from the early 60's thru the early 70s & were in beautiful condition, as I had no interest really, they went on a closet shelf undisturbed for years.

Anyway, flashforward to about 1988 when I got interested in Football cards again & picked up a beckett guide for the 1st time. I made skid marks getting back to my moms house looking for that boot box of cards. I finally ask mom about them & she had given them away to my cousins kids a couple of years earlier, then she threw in that she knew better than to give them my comics. I still think back about those cards. I have no idea what was in there but the quality was A+++. I keep thinking why couldn't she have just given them my crappy football cards that I destroyed as a kid. Ah well....

I came home from school only to see two big piles of my comic books sitting by the trash cans by the driveway. I brought them in and put them back into my room and told my mom to stay out of my room that my comic books will be worth money some day. That was 1972, and I still have all the books plus...13,000 to 15,000 more.....ED

were they bagged or loose?.............I cant figure out how parents could just decide to throw out some comics its not like they are making space for something else? What are they thinking?"lets throw out these comics.....these 2 piles up here in the closet are taking up to much space.....meanwhile theres a whole of garbage sitting right beside them!

I just got back into comics about 1 1/2 years ago. I used to be into them big time and had a hell-of-a collection from my childhood...I called my mom about a little over a year ago to ask about my comics that I had lovingly bagged, boarded, and boxed as a kid and told her next time I was home on leave I wanted to pick them up and bring them back with me...and I think you know what happend at this point...My mom had gotten rid of the lot at a garage sale around 4 years before and sold all 6 large comic boxes for around $100.00!!! I think I dropped the phone at this point and had a small heart attack...she then told me she had cleaned out most of the other "junk" and sold it that same year...to include my Star Wars toys and G.I. Joe toys. Which basically turned my small heart attack into a massive one. I was speechless and really couldn't talk...I thought she understood that these things were worth some serious duckets. I had always taken care of my comics and toys. and to hear that some BA$ Had bought them for pennies of what they worth........God!, pains me to think of it today..I had Uncanny X-men from #85 to about #240..(COMPLETE!) -- Amazing Spider-Man #125 to around #315 (COMPLETE!) on up....most of the rest were collections that I had from #1 on up most of other series in those boxes (GI Joe, Transformers, Web, PP Spidey, Daredevil, Punisher, Wolverine...etc.)...I think today and know that all(well at least most) of these books would have received CGC 9.2 and up. Like I said, I took care of my comics believing that they would become valuable in the future...and granted the majority of my collection was from the 80's, I still miss them the same! So if any of you were cruising Garage sales in Waterloo, Iowa around 98/99 and got a Very mini-version of the Mile High/Churches Collection at a Garage sale (you also bought most all of the Star Wars toys!) We need to talk! I want my damn comics back!!! Keep the star wars stuff!!!......... I even had a few signatures on some of the comics...Millar, Lee (Stan), etc.... I still can't believe what my Mom was thinking...I mean in this day and age most people know that you don't throw comics out...they are worth money, major money to people...She knew I spent some major money on these as a kid to get back issues...She even wrote all the checks to Mile high Comics for most of those back issues!........This is one topic that we no longer bring up...I think she feels awful about it and I keep my mouth shut about it, at least when I'm around her!.......anyone else have this happen to you...is there a support group we can go to?.....Just burns me sometimes to think of the all work I put into making the collection and some J@[!@#%^&^]@$$ comes along and basically steals it. .... AUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....I think it runs in my family, my Grandma tossed my Dads collection of Batman and Superman comics from his childhood..My Grandma used to buy him one of each at the grocery store when he was real young..I asked him about the time line and I figured he had about 5 years worth of Supermans from #40 on up and Batmans from the same era..I'm not sure if they were Dective Comics or Batman or maybe Both, he couldn't remember..but he told me Grandma threw them away when he moved out...granted this would of been a nice story to know before my mother did the same...maybe would of gave me a heads up...he related the story to me after I told him what Mom had done...I didn't have the heart to tell him what those comics would be worth today......I didn't even know my Dad was a comic reader when he was a kid....

Thank you for sharing and I feel terrible! These stories are why I have moved all my belongings out of my parents' house in NY and they know full well of my eBay business and what these "toys, cards, comics and junk" can get...so I hope this will deny success to any bargain hunter cruisin' garage sales on Staten Island....

How about this one. I started collecting back in the mid-sixties. When I was in the sixth grade a friend of mine brought an Amazing Spidey #4 to school to give to me (don't remember the grade of the comic, back then it didn't matter), but the teacher saw it and while I tried to tell her that I was a "serious collector", she ripped the comic into pieces and threw it into the trash. I never did replace it. On the positive side, my parents never did throw out my comics. I'm glad to say that I'm the proud owner of some great silver age books! (Just no Spidey #4.)

i've always told my mum that my comics are worth money and to never touch them, but she always would scoff and say "they're only worth as much as someone are willing to pay for them". but she did freak when i sold my childhood partridge family lunch pail for $86 on eBay back in 99. blush.gif i haven't told her about my recent selling of slabbed books though, but im sure my brother has mentioned it to her. laugh.gif i do have a story of me and my brother back in 1982 of taking money out of my mum's purse, when she finally caught on and was pissed she asked what we took the money for. to make a long story short, she wanted to teach us a lesson, and made me and my brother burn all of our comics. frown.gif my brother and i argued that they were worth money, but to no avail, poof! up in smoke they went. my brother had a nice NM run of byrne x-men too. she also said if she ever caught us with comic books again, poof they would go too, but the next year me and my bro were buying comics again, this time with our hard earned cash. blush.gif hence, never take money from your mum's purse...that was my first lesson in "hell has no fury like a woman scorned". shocked.gifgrin.gif

While my parents would never have thrown out any of my comics, I do have one story (that I may have relayed previously - advance apologies):

One of my babysitter's in public school had a huge box of early Silver Age comics that I used to read. Wildest one was a copy of ASM #1, and pretty well the whole run up to the 30's or so. Lots of FF, ToS, Astonishing, Avengers, a few Hulks, DD's, etc.

That was like a treasure trove for my young mind, and one day the lady says she's tossing them, but since I liked them so much, I could have them. Back then, they really weren't worth any cash, but they were worth more than Gold to me.

So picture me sitting by the front door, two boxes filled with early Marvel Silver Age, pretty well bursting at the seams. My mother drives up, I tell her about the comics and she says:

"No, you have enough comics"

Let's repeat that for effect:

".. you have ENOUGH comics"

So after a bit of yelling, I had to give them back, and they were tossed out. If good old Dad was there (working late - doah!), I'd be wallowing in Silver Age gems that very night.

The logic parents use, and I still joke with my parents about that one. I usually phrase it like "No, you have enough wads of money". grin.gif

I was born in 1950 and am from Philadelphia. Starting when I was around 7 years old, my dad would buy me DC comics each week. Action, Adventure, Batman, Superman & World's Finest were my favorites. We moved to the suburbs(Bucks County) in 1959 to a new home. For $17,900, spilt level, 2 car garage, 1/2 acre, hardwood floors. Anyway, one day I came home from school and my mom was freaking out about bugs being in my room. She blamed it on my comic books and threw hundreds of DC's and Mad magazines away. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper for a long time. As I look back, I had read them over & over and they were not in good shape. When I starting collecting seriously in 1963, I was very careful to make sure there was never again going to be a bug in my room.

589a8adb55162_139803-EGGSACKLEY1.jpg.55b0f93c6e13f2d81a7cdc6d382d5431.jpg

Sigh.......my mother never threw out any of the comics that I and my brother collected.......but that doesn't mean there isn't a sad story in my childhood collecting. frown.gif

My brother is 4 years older than me......so.....like most brothers....we used to fight a lot. mad.gif

If we weren't mad enough to hit each other (that was too risky because then dad would hit us).......then we'd just grab a stack of comics from the other ones collection and fling them across the room........pages tearing......and covers ripping from their staples.......it was a horrific site. crazy.gif

So......I basically have this awesome collection of over a thousand POS books left over from my childhood. frown.gif

When I was in the sixth grade a friend of mine brought an Amazing Spidey #4 to school to give to me (don't remember the grade of the comic, back then it didn't matter), but the teacher saw it and while I tried to tell her that I was a "serious collector", she ripped the comic into pieces and threw it into the trash.

Great one there... I remember those days of not being able to bring collectibles (baseball cards, matchbox, or comics) into school for trading. Teacher could do whatever they wanted with it. And you didn't want your parents to know because they would break out the belt on you (that was allowed back then still) for being stupid enough to screw around and embarrass the family name by getting caught by the teacher in school. Basically your parents backed the teacher back then. Nowadays, the teacher can take whatever away (usually Pokemon or Yu-gi-oh cards) but has to give it back at the end of the day undamaged or else you'll get sued by litigious parents who spent over thousands on their spoiled brats' collection. Go figure.

So I don't know - now if that happened to you today, I'd be suing the teacher for her yearly salary to make up for the "suddenly "NM" ASM 4" tongue.gif

do have a story of me and my brother back in 1982 of taking money out of my mum's purse, when she finally caught on and was pissed she asked what we took the money for

I know crackheads whose hard luck stories began the same way..but they started with cheeba and moved on up...

My parents never threw away my comics but..

After my mom divorced my dad in menopausal rage - she ended up moving in waith some con-artist/nurse/faith healer type guy. He was unemployed. After he conned my mom out of all her retirement, all her IRA's, all my brother and I's savings bonds she and my dad had put away for us every year until we turned 18, and basically drove her into a mental hospital, my brother and I and our 2 uncles told him we were coming to get her and her stuff and if he chose to be there - we couldn't guarantee his safety. This was at my mom's house. Needless to say he was gone the next day - so was everything of value - my mom's computer, her TV, her jewelry, everything you could imagine. We took her to the hospital the day before, by the way. In my old closet, in my old room, where I left my 4 long boxes of comics when I went into the army wasa note(and this is no joke) it said(I know this because I still have the friggin note to shove up his arse if I ever see him again)

"Todd,

Had to sell the comics for gas money. I owe you $60 - thats what I got for them. Thanks. Guy"

THose long boxes contained X-Men 108-175 complete. X-Men 35, 50-58(Roughly..maybe through 60 - I don't remember now), GI Joe 1-30(1st Marvel series), ASM 200-260something, Alpha FLight 1-50 or so.. New Mutants 1-50 or so...

Okay not too many HUGE dollar books - but I literally saved my paper route and lawn mowing around the neighbor hood money from age 9(1980) through about 14 and went to the comic book store every week to buy new comics and back issues.

I'm getting angry just thinking about it again. Man - I hope that tool gets out of jail soon(Thats another story) and tries to talk to my mom again - if anyone has seen Reservoir Dogs - our reuniting would be something similar to the "Stuck in the Middle " scene where Micheal Madsen was torturing that cop..

I never had a comic thrown out when I was a kid. Rarely read them. I DID have an original one-sheet movie poster I found in the attic of Lon Chaney Senior's HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME. I was about 10 or so when I found it. Really liked it and put it in "my cabinet" - well, my mother decided to clean out "my cabinet". Last time I looked it was about $35,000. That would have bought me a WHOLE lot of precode horror! grin.gif