• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning

4 posts in this topic

I have a quick question. Only need a few basic replies and I should be good. I have purchased a lot of Graded comics over the years. I have purchased a few that were graded restoration ones. I myself have never had an account with CGC until it was a birthday gift from a family member. 

My question: If I mail in a book thats older with issues and I have it cleaned, maybe an 8 up front. Does the comic get a higher grade and does it came back listed as restored? I would like to keep the lovingly read look from years ago but, lift some of the grime and misc stuff off. If that makes sense.

On 6/13/2020 at 1:49 PM, drggrd said:

I have a quick question. Only need a few basic replies and I should be good. I have purchased a lot of Graded comics over the years. I have purchased a few that were graded restoration ones. I myself have never had an account with CGC until it was a birthday gift from a family member. 

My question: If I mail in a book thats older with issues and I have it cleaned, maybe an 8 up front. Does the comic get a higher grade and does it came back listed as restored? I would like to keep the lovingly read look from years ago but, lift some of the grime and misc stuff off. If that makes sense.

CGC will examine the book for signs of restoration (color touch etc) but the act itself of pressing/cleaning, as performed by CCS (or 3rd party pressers) does not cause a book to be declared restored.  Pressing/cleaning does not guarantee any increase in grade and there is always the chance that it could damage the comic.  If you send in a slabbed restored book for pressing/cleaning it will come back as restored as will get graded again like it's the 1st time they ever saw it 

I have a Question for csaag? If You have a Flawless looking comic, But have dust or small spots. Maybe Foxing. But it is from the V to the E in Vengeance 1. I looked at the Overstreet Grading guide. It says a 9.4 can have slight foxing. I do not know what these few spots are. But does CGC do only cleaning if ask? Because this comic has nothing wrong any where I have looked under the lights.

IMG_2851.JPG

IMG_2852.JPG

IMG_2853.JPG

On 6/13/2020 at 1:49 PM, drggrd said:

Cleaning it to remove dust with dry erasers would be ok and would not count  as restoration. BUT having a chemical bath given to a comic to remove stains and grime would be considered restoration. 

And I highly recommend you dont restore your comics if you want to preserve the value.