• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This Still Considered 9.8?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

So this book just arrived recently in the mail.  It looks like the outside cover shifted slightly from the inside pages in the inner well of the slab which is visible along the top border of the book.  So my questions are...

1) Has anyone else experienced this before?

2) Is the book still considered a 9.8?

3) For those that experienced this, what did you do to resolve it?  Was the book sent back to the seller?  Was it brought up to CGC for a resolution?  Was the book kept "as is"?

IMG_4052.jpg

I haven't quite seen a book shift like this....

Are you sure the book, in some cases, was not manufactured with a little overhang (are there other examples on eBay)?

Was the book pressed? Even normal pressing can cause the pages to overhang slightly from the cover.

In rare cases, sudden shifting in a slab can cause damage to a book (SCS or shaken comic syndrome, there are whole threads over decades dedicated to the topic). In rare cases, internal pressure from the well, along with violent movement can cause a cover to pop staples and separate (look closely for damage / separation at the staples). 

3 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

I haven't quite seen a book shift like this....

Are you sure the book, in some cases, was not manufactured with a little overhang (are there other examples on eBay)?

Was the book pressed? Even normal pressing can cause the pages to overhang slightly from the cover.

In rare cases, sudden shifting in a slab can cause damage to a book (SCS or shaken comic syndrome, there are whole threads over decades dedicated to the topic). In rare cases, internal pressure from the well, along with violent movement can cause a cover to pop staples and separate (look closely for damage / separation at the staples). 

This is definitely not an overhang.  Base on the seller's pictures, it did not show any signs of shifting, which leads me to believe this SCS had to occur during shipping.  Since the book was purchased through eBay, I am not aware if it has been pressed before.  I haven't had a SCS in a long while and I thought CGC had addressed the issue with their inner well design when it used to happen more frequently.  The lower staple looks like it got pulled in slightly.  Question is who would you approach for a resolution, CGC or the original seller?