• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns are basically just SA DC Imaginary Stories
1 1

54 posts in this topic

Just now, kav said:

Batman's costume in the movies would be nearly impossible to fight in.  Thats why olympic athletes dont wear similar.

Yeah, I understand the thinking behind the "tactical armor" approach to Batman in the movies, but it's not much fun to look at, you know? Comics are visual. Movies are visual. Why can't we have a Batman that just kinda looks cool, and not worry about whether or not it makes sense? I know the Burton/Keaton Batsuit catches flack because, you know, he can't even turn his head. But from a design perspective, it's much cooler and more fun to look at than whatever Bale was wearing in the Nolan flicks. Same with the X-Men. When I was a kid doodling around after reading X-Men comics, I drew the awesome Wolvie costume with the big dumb ears, because it was cool! The leather and zippers of the X-flicks wouldn't have inspired much in that same kid.

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

The Bronze Age's What If? 10 is a very, very, mediocre, superficial story.

Jason Aaron's run with Jane Foster as Thor is excellent, and one of the best extended narratives of the last decade. 

Sometimes the exploration of a theme in greater detail, decades later, is well worth it.

Hey I love DC imaginary stories-I'm not saying it's bad.  Just commenting that everything seems to have headed towards that particular chaos attractor.

8 minutes ago, kav said:

Batman's costume in the movies would be nearly impossible to fight in.  Thats why olympic athletes dont wear similar.

Not every super-hero is lucky enough to have access to vibranium spandex.

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

Not every super-hero is lucky enough to have access to vibranium spandex.

What abt unstable molecules tho?
Ps if the molecules were unstable wouldnt like sue richards costume dissolve once in a while?

1 minute ago, kav said:

Hey I love DC imaginary stories-I'm not saying it's bad.  Just commenting that everything seems to have headed towards that particular chaos attractor.

I know.  Just supporting my belief that the modern period does have some great material.  :smile:

1 hour ago, Gaard said:

My intellect is superior to Agent666's. I knew exactly how the title related to the thread.

I didnt think it was brain science, myself.

I think comics are doing great. People happily spend $4 for terrible stories and awful art. 2nd 3rd prints sell. I am ready for the wave of new LGBT characters that are coming in the next 5 years. Which is good imo. They are critically low on colors for hulks and especially lanterns. Still have the purple hulk to look forward to though. 

Just now, Myowncollector said:

I think comics are doing great. People happily spend $4 for terrible stories and awful art. 2nd 3rd prints sell. I am ready for the wave of new LGBT characters that are coming in the next 5 years. Which is good imo. They are critically low on colors for hulks and especially lanterns. Still have the purple hulk to look forward to though. 

One word: Rainbow Hulk.

6 minutes ago, kav said:

One word: Rainbow Hulk.

Two words: African American wolverine.

He will be huge. That is my prediction, won't be that great to speculate on because it will sell hundreds of thousands of copies. 

Edited by Myowncollector
Add more

Jonathan Hickman’s Secret Wars resulted in fragments of devastated universes being fused together into a Battleworld, with each surviving region in the world basically providing an alternate universe / What If ? story.  Surprisingly, there were many good, entertaining stories here, a lot of variety, and a high hit rate. Again, not all modern comics are as bad, derivative of, or as incoherent, nonsensical and insane as their Silver-tinged DC predecessors.

Edited by Ken Aldred

9 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Jonathan Hickman’s Secret Wars resulted in fragments of devastated universes being fused together into a Battleworld, with each surviving region in the world basically providing an alternate universe / What If ? story.  Surprisingly, there were many good, entertaining stories here, a lot of variety, and a high hit rate. Again, not all modern comics are as bad, derivative of, or as incoherent, nonsensical and insane as their Silver-tinged DC predecessors.

I enjoyed Secret Wars, as well as Hickman's Avengers run. Looking forward to digging into his X-Men stuff! 

Otherwise I think the last Marvel series I read was Vision, which I also enjoyed a great deal.

Just now, F For Fake said:

I enjoyed Secret Wars, as well as Hickman's Avengers run. Looking forward to digging into his X-Men stuff! 

Otherwise I think the last Marvel series I read was Vision, which I also enjoyed a great deal.

It is better to read his New Avengers and Avengers material to understand how the multiverse gets dismantled, the incursions, the different groups involved in trying either to stop or to accelerate the process, or to save some small parts of it.

Tom King’s Vision series is a modern classic.

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

It is better to read his New Avengers and Avengers material to understand how the multiverse gets dismantled, the incursions, the different groups involved in trying either to stop or to accelerate the process, or to save some small parts of it.

Tom King’s Vision series is a modern classic.

Yeah, I'd originally read Secret War without having read the Avengers stuff. Last summer I ran across the Avengers by Hickman Omnis cheap at a second hand store, and tore through them! Also read the companion TPB and then reread SW, and got a lot more out of it! The scope/scale of his story was immense. A very satisfying read.

Indeed, Vision is one of the rare books that met and exceeded the hype. Great stuff.

Hey @Ken Aldred one more thing since I've already highjacked Kav's thread; when you read the Avengers/New Avengers/Secret Wars story, did your read it as it was coming out, or in collected form? When I read it, it was over the course of a couple of weeks during a summer vacation at the lake when it rained the whole time so there wasn't much else to do. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I remember thinking at the time that if I'd had to read it over the course of months/years, I may have given up on it. I really wonder how it worked for folks in periodical form. There's a lot to digest, and I have the attention span of a gnat. I'm not sure I would have gotten nearly as much out of it had I not been able to absorb it all so quickly.

23 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Indeed, Vision is one of the rare books that met and exceeded the hype. Great stuff.

whats 'vision'?

1 minute ago, kav said:

whats 'vision'?

The Vision was a 12 issue miniseries by Tom King, came out a couple of years ago. An offbeat examination of The Vision as he attempts to (literally) construct a "normal" life in the suburbs with a family that he creates himself. Offbeat and odd, it's kind of a suburban superhero drama with touches of dark comedy and horror. 

4839761-the_vision_1_cover.jpg