• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #400 CGC 9.4 white on Comiclink...will it reach $1950?

58 posts in this topic

just proves what they say: you get the best prices on Comiclink!

There are probably still a number of buyers that don't use eBay. And when they see a book that they have to have, they pay top dollar.

Still, you never know if the person selling the one on eBay, set up a shill and purchased the one on ComicLink, hoping to jack up the price of the eBay copy.

That's the perfect shill as you can be a legit seller on eBay and not hurt your credibility, and fly under the radar on ComicLink.

Not saying that happened, just pointing out possiblities.

There are probably still a number of buyers that don't use eBay. And when they see a book that they have to have, they pay top dollar.

Still, you never know if the person selling the one on eBay, set up a shill and purchased the one on ComicLink, hoping to jack up the price of the eBay copy.

That's the perfect shill as you can be a legit seller on eBay and not hurt your credibility, and fly under the radar on ComicLink.

Ay yay yay, the more I read about scenarios like this, the more I want to just go back to collecting $20 books. Maybe an occasional $50 when I'm feeling spendy. This all gets so tiring.

Less money at stake=less bullshiit.

Ay yay yay, the more I read about scenarios like this, the more I want to just go back to collecting $20 books. Maybe an occasional $50 when I'm feeling spendy. This all gets so tiring.

It's true. The more I read about this stuff, the less I want to buy expensive books. I really think it would only take getting a single PLOD on a big money book, or having my bids run up to the tune of a few hundred dollars one time, to kill a lot of the fun this hobby offers. I don't know how guys who get repeatedly burned on large transactions keep going. confused-smiley-013.gif

On the other hand, to be impartial,

I have had instances where I have received peanuts for books listed on Ebay but got closer to a reasonable price when I listed in Pedigree.

So you can base it 2 ways:

Ebay is a huge discounted Flea Market on the net, where alot of times some great and many not so great deals are to be had.

People with money to burn, and dont want to get burned will seek a more professional site when buying.

I'm with you. I've been lookin' at low grade Pre-Code Horror and low to mid grade Detective's from the early fifties. Cheap, great, and no worries about all of this other nonsense.

Calm down. poke2.gif

Even if there was market manipulation, no one puts a gun to the buyers (either on ComicLink or eBay) head.

Only pay what you feel a books woth and no more.

Obviously a very high grade book with only a few copies available is more easily manipulated, but you still don't have to buy it. And if a buyer does pay an extremely high price, apparently they REALLY, REALLY wanted the book.

It's true. The more I read about this stuff, the less I want to buy expensive books. I really think it would only take getting a single PLOD on a big money book, or having my bids run up to the tune of a few hundred dollars one time, to kill a lot of the fun this hobby offers. I don't know how guys who get repeatedly burned on large transactions keep going.

Yeah, it's tough..... buying a book for $500 and then selling it for a few thousand dollars a year or two later.

I don't know how people repeatedly do that. poke2.gif

It's true. The more I read about this stuff, the less I want to buy expensive books. I really think it would only take getting a single PLOD on a big money book, or having my bids run up to the tune of a few hundred dollars one time, to kill a lot of the fun this hobby offers. I don't know how guys who get repeatedly burned on large transactions keep going.

Yeah, it's tough..... buying a book for $500 and then selling it for a few thousand dollars a year or two later.

I don't know how people repeatedly do that. poke2.gif

confused.gif Huh? I was talking about people who have repeatedly gotten BURNED by transactions. What does your scenario have to do with anything? Did you even read my post?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know how people repeatedly do that.

Huh? I was talking about people who have repeatedly gotten BURNED by transactions. What does your scenario have to do with anything? Did you even read my post?

It's called sarcasm. tongue.gif

I read your post and it was NEGATIVE AGAIN about COLLECTING HIGH GRADE BOOKS (what a shocker).

First you point out people getting burned with PLOD's on Big Ticket Books. That's why my BIG TICKET BOOKS are purchased ALREADY CGC'D. So I don't get burned.

Then you talk about having to pay several hundred dollars too much for a book. I've bought a book from a MAJOR DEALER which was offered to EVERYONE on this BOARD, and FLIPPED it on EBAY for a $1,700 profit in less then 10 days from receiving the book.

So while I'll agree there is always a downside to purchasing books, there is also an upside (something you always seem to fail to mention). poke2.gif

It's called sarcasm. tongue.gif

I read your post and it was NEGATIVE AGAIN about COLLECTING HIGH GRADE BOOKS (what a shocker).

First you point out people getting burned with PLOD's on Big Ticket Books. That's why my BIG TICKET BOOKS are purchased ALREADY CGC'D. So I don't get burned.

Then you talk about having to pay several hundred dollars too much for a book. I've bought a book from a MAJOR DEALER which was offered to EVERYONE on this BOARD, and FLIPPED it on EBAY for a $1,700 profit in less then 10 days from receiving the book.

So while I'll agree there is always a downside to purchasing books, there is also an upside (something you always seem to fail to mention). poke2.gif

Getting a little defesive, eh? My post was about ME. If I got burned two or more times, I would be pretty disillusioned with the hobby. That's my personal perspective. If you feel differently, great for you. I wasn't making comment beyond how I would feel and I certainly wasn't making some sweeping statement about high grade collectors. Hence the sentence "I really think it would only take getting a single PLOD on a big money book, or having my bids run up to the tune of a few hundred dollars one time, to kill a lot of the fun this hobby offers."

makepoint.gif893blahblah.gif

Getting a little defesive, eh? My post was about ME. If I got burned two or more times, I would be pretty disillusioned with the hobby. That's my personal perspective. If you feel differently, great for you. I wasn't making comment beyond how I would feel and I certainly wasn't making some sweeping statement about high grade collectors. Hence the sentence "I really think it would only take getting a single PLOD on a big money book, or having my bids run up to the tune of a few hundred dollars one time, to kill a lot of the fun this hobby offers."

I understand.

I got disillusioned with the hobby for several years prior to CGC (I stopped collecting for about 4 years). While CGC has clearly spurred huge prices increases, it has also allowed me minimize my risk and rewards (and that's what I needed).

I understand.

I got disillusioned with the hobby for several years prior to CGC (I stopped collecting for about 4 years). While CGC has clearly spurred huge prices increases, it has also allowed me minimize my risk and rewards (and that's what I needed).

thumbsup2.gif I agree with you that buying raw high grade stuff is a real mine field. CGC has definitely eliminated a lot of that risk. I know that if I spent a bundle on a raw book and it came back a PLOD, I would seriously consider quitting.

thumbsup2.gif I agree with you that buying raw high grade stuff is a real mine field. CGC has definitely eliminated a lot of that risk. I know that if I spent a bundle on a raw book and it came back a PLOD, I would seriously consider quitting.

Andy, if you think resto only happens to high grade books, you're kidding yourself. A lot of mid-grade stuff got tampered with, particularly color touch, during the 70s and 80s, and particularly if they found their way into the hands of thieves like Gerry Ross and Roger Crestohl.

Andy, if you think resto only happens to high grade books, you're kidding yourself. A lot of mid-grade stuff got tampered with, particularly color touch, during the 70s and 80s, and particularly if they found their way into the hands of thieves like Gerry Ross and Roger Crestohl.

Yep, I know. I bought a Batman 244 awhile back for something like $20 and it was trimmed. Luckily 99.9% of the work done on $100 or less books is amateur color touch or trimming, both of which are easy to spot.