• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Scam Sellers List

50 posts in this topic

Forgive me if this has been done.

It just occurred to me that we should put together a difinitive list of scam sellers for reference in a single place. Right now i see complaints in all different threads. It would be great to be able to check this thread when you are not sure about a seller.

We should definitely have rules about how to determine the names though. It would not work for every auction but it could definitely keep scammers on the run and force them to use new ebay ID's (which is a flag sometimes).

Thoughts?

Elvis

I actually came up with the idea as I'm sure a few others did. Do you think it may be a good idea to keep this thread for discussions on who to add to the list, and a separate thread with just the list?

I'd be on board, maybe I could buy some non-cgc'd items for a change without fear of massive overgrading. We would definately need a discussion site with some sort of a concensus before we put them on a master-type list.

I actually came up with the idea as I'm sure a few others did. Do you think it may be a good idea to keep this thread for discussions on who to add to the list, and a separate thread with just the list?

Ok good idea. So we have a discussion thread to make the call on who is on the list, and we put the names somewhere else. another thread is good, or maybe put someone in charge of a website.

I would say all of the above. Not a scam list per sey but more of CGC forum members sharing their expierences and looking out for one another. A list that would say who you should not purchase from and why. Info is power.

Maybe it should look like this

name of seller xxxxxxxxx

ebay link xxxxxxxxxx

graded xxxxxxxx

problem with item/seller xxxxxxxxxx

or maybe be we could keep a list of strikes or a scorecard against sellers

shipping fast shipping a little expensive

grading overgrades listed as vfnm more like vf-

packing well packaged

personality nice person quick reply to emails

somthing like that would be good IMO

I would suggest a separate list for issues such as overgrading. There is no distinction between e-bay sellers and some comic dealers on that issue.

The key is to help identify e-bay sellers who do something fraudulent, i.e., sell restored books, deliberately omit important information that impacts a book's grade (such as water damage that can't be seen on the scan), never sends the books, etc.

I think a general list to begin with including Name and complaint. Also I think there needs to be a few people to moderate and review complaints for facts before someone is comitted to the list. For instance if someone is accused of overgrading the accuser should provide the grade that the seller gave and a scan of the book for review. The moderators could post the book in the grading thread and get a concensus from the board members before making a decision. Likewise, proof of shill bidding and non paying buyers would be substantiated. We don't want to start a thread whose only point is to flame people. Things like feedback scores and number of sales could be taken into account in rulings. Those that are seen fit to add would then be placed on the list with the appropriate description of their "crime" and could be viewed by Forum members. I also think it is important that we keep it classy so that we can't be accussed of libel or name calling. Forum members could possibly nominate other members to a position of moderator.

CW

I think a general list to begin with including Name and complaint. Also I think there needs to be a few people to moderate and review complaints for facts before someone is comitted to the list. For instance if someone is accused of overgrading the accuser should provide the grade that the seller gave and a scan of the book for review. The moderators could post the book in the grading thread and get a concensus from the board members before making a decision. Likewise, proof of shill bidding and non paying buyers would be substantiated. We don't want to start a thread whose only point is to flame people. Things like feedback scores and number of sales could be taken into account in rulings. Those that are seen fit to add would then be placed on the list with the appropriate description of their "crime" and could be viewed by Forum members. I also think it is important that we keep it classy so that we can't be accussed of libel or name calling. Forum members could possibly nominate other members to a position of moderator.

CW

Great post. I think nominating a well respected panel is the way to go. That way it is kept at a high level.

Well, we will have to decide how long to discuss before we nominate a team and start accepting claims.

If he will accept, I second. I think probably 3 people would be a good size team. I would be willing to prescreen cases for the final team if they would have me. I think people involved should have adequate experience selling on ebay so that they can properly assess any situations.

Alright, so far we have nominated Pov, Redhook and ? for our final panel waiting for their descision.

We have Gpa offering any info from their data base and I can prescreen cases to prep the info for the panel. Anyone else want in?