• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,232 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2023 at 7:41 PM, Malacoda said:

So I do share your pain. My hat is off to you, as ever.

Tell me about it. I must have wrote to Marvel 85 times in 85 different ways trying to get info on their 1999/2000 Price Variants. No one replies nowadays. In times past I'd likely have gotten 86 replies.

And in general, when you do get a bite on something, no one bloody remembers anything!

On 5/10/2023 at 7:57 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Anyway, I'm off for the night. If any of you get a chance, pop over to Gary's new thread - it's a corker:

And to tie it back to UK…. I used amazing Spider-Man #105 to show the published issue had been edited from the original art/proof (Tony’s “hidden” credit was edited out). If anyone has the UK reprint it may be interesting to see if it used the original art/proof or the USA published art. 

On 5/10/2023 at 7:52 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

And in general, when you do get a bite on something, no one bloody remembers anything!

And, when they do remember things really distinctly, did they actually understand it in the first place? Things that are important differences to us are insignificant to them and were unimportant at the time. My experience is that when you do track someone down, what he remembers (from 60 years ago), is the girl he fancied in accounts, the pastries from the bakery next door and how everyone met up at the pub to watch the 66 cup final.  

On 5/11/2023 at 12:40 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Except for those who pitched in and did 2 extra paper rounds that day so they could buy a couple more comics,

You can't still have been delivering papers at 3 in the afternoon? Wye Aye Man, ye must have bin reet paggered.  

( I have no idea what that means).  

On 5/11/2023 at 12:46 PM, Malacoda said:

You can't still have been delivering papers at 3 in the afternoon?

Already done the morning round, starting at 6, finished at 7.30, back home for a bit of kip then brekkie.

Next, off to the markets to track down any bits and pieces to plug gaps in the collection.

Then it was the evening papers. A couple of the other lads cried off, they wanted to watch some muddied oafs booting a pig's bladder round a piece of grass.

Anyone know how it finished up?

I know Alf Garnett got home a bit late because of the extra time.

You can't still have been delivering papers at 3 in the afternoon? Wye Aye Man, ye must have bin reet paggered.  

albert1.thumb.PNG.964fc87346c6cdd1e0a31796ab6f78fc.PNG

On 5/11/2023 at 1:14 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Already done the morning round, starting at 6, finished at 7.30, back home for a bit of kip then brekkie.

Next, off to the markets to track down any bits and pieces to plug gaps in the collection.

Then it was the evening papers. A couple of the other lads cried off, they wanted to watch some muddied oafs booting a pig's bladder round a piece of grass.

Anyone know how it finished up?

I know Alf Garnett got home a bit late because of the extra time.

Well, the first goal was off a free kick, the second off a corner, the third wasn't actually a goal and the fourth was an accident. But it was still our greatest performance ever.  And the Germans were all doped up.  The Beautiful Game.  

Ah, the joys of translating English to English.  I love annoying people by saying "Football" when referring to the Sounders FC, and when people complain it's Soccer, not Football, I'll point out a) that "FC" is right in the team name, and b) the Seahawks aren't playing at this time of year, so there's no reason to assume American Football.  I'll be more specific when both seasons are actually overlapping.

Neither have I.

I think back to the Black Hawk Down film, where the good guys are trying to fight their way to safety across a hostile city.

Every corner they comes to throws up another horde of bloodthirsty natives, shouting curses in a strange language that cannot be understood.

A bit like an away trip to Newcastle in the 1970s or 1980s.

Edited by Albert Tatlock
correct typo

On 5/11/2023 at 5:08 PM, OtherEric said:

Ah, the joys of translating English to English.  I love annoying people by saying "Football" when referring to the Sounders FC, and when people complain it's Soccer, not Football, I'll point out a) that "FC" is right in the team name, and b) the Seahawks aren't playing at this time of year, so there's no reason to assume American Football.  I'll be more specific when both seasons are actually overlapping.

It's also kind of a misnomer given that the ball doesn't actually make contact with any feet for 99% of the game. 

On 5/11/2023 at 4:34 PM, Malacoda said:

It's also kind of a misnomer given that the ball doesn't actually make contact with any feet for 99% of the game. 

Closer to 90%, depending on how bad your team is and how often they punt.  But point taken.

On 5/10/2023 at 9:27 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I'm deeply immersed in Charlton still. I know no one gives a monkeys about Charlton - I know that from the deafening silence that accompanies every post I make about them :bigsmile: - but when I finally get around to landing it I know you will like it Rich.

It's not a UK stamped Charlton, but I did get a book of theirs this week, after seeing it mentioned somewhere on the forums.  I can't remember if it was this thread, though:

Fantastic Giants.jpg

On 5/13/2023 at 10:19 PM, OtherEric said:

It's not a UK stamped Charlton, but I did get a book of theirs this week, after seeing it mentioned somewhere on the forums.  I can't remember if it was this thread, though:

Fantastic Giants.jpg

Hogar :cloud9:

On 5/16/2023 at 10:41 AM, Garystar said:

On yer head son. Here’s a stamp I don’t see too often;

IMG_2629.thumb.jpeg.254ea02cf3d8b46163ba1429c8b3a473.jpeg

Nice. Our stamper here was either lucky or had a sense of humour. I like to think it was the latter :grin:

Interesting one.   According to Mike, Battle #70, the last issue of the last ever Atlas war title (before Patches O'Fury hoves over the horizon) has a release date of 29th January 1960, but a cover date of June 1960.  This is over 5 months of sales lead time, which seems incredibly high....though it's the same lead time as preceding issues.  You'd expect, based on the 3 month sales lead time, for it to be released in March. 

Heritage Auctions have got one of these up for grabs. Check out the extremely clear distribution date. 

lf?set=path%5B2%2F7%2F6%2F4%2F8%2F27648534%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D