• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,261 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2023 at 7:13 PM, Malacoda said:

Interesting one.   According to Mike, Battle #70, the last issue of the last ever Atlas war title (before Patches O'Fury hoves over the horizon) has a release date of 29th January 1960, but a cover date of June 1960.  This is over 5 months of sales lead time, which seems incredibly high....though it's the same lead time as preceding issues.  You'd expect, based on the 3 month sales lead time, for it to be released in March. 

Heritage Auctions have got one of these up for grabs. Check out the extremely clear distribution date. 

lf?set=path%5B2%2F7%2F6%2F4%2F8%2F27648534%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Battle #70 has always been my favourite UKPV as it's the book that my US Price Font Variations work proved would exist as a UKPV before I eventually found a copy.

Read similar date stamp observations to yours here Rich:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/412313-marvel-us-price-font-variations-june-1960-~-february-1961/?do=findComment&comment=11917139

The story of how I finally got the 9d copy was a fun one too. It's documented in one of my threads, somewhere.... 

On 5/17/2023 at 7:31 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Battle #70 has always been my favourite UKPV as it's the book that my US Price Font Variations work proved would exist as a UKPV before I eventually found a copy.

Moments like that are brilliant, although being less systematic and more easily seduced than you, when I say 'if my theory is correct, then wherever there is X there should always be Y and never be Z' and it comes true, I tend to take my theory as proven, which is not necessarily always true. I am often seduced by the power of prediction.  When I finally get to U.S.T.  (Unified Stamp Theory....yup, it has a name, an acronym, and by the time I finally post it, probably merchandise) I predicted something about World Distributors which I finally found to be absolutely true and exactly when I predicted to be, but it still turned out not to be the correct explanation (don't get excited, it's not the explanation of the stamps, it's the explanation of why Marvel left T&P....though when is more salient than why).  

On 5/17/2023 at 8:09 PM, Malacoda said:

When I finally get to U.S.T.

You'll be risin'
You'll find the note we left hangin'
On your door
You'll laugh when you read the part
'says we died waiting
'cause you promised U.S.T so many times before.....

On 5/17/2023 at 7:31 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

The story of how I finally got the 9d copy was a fun one too. It's documented in one of my threads, somewhere.... 

I just tried looking for this.  Even searching for Battle AND 70 AND 9d AND Atlas, I still got almost 9000 hits.  It does get a mention in your journal, but the story of your Quest for Battle is not there. 

ft1.PNG.cc3dff69f1e53712973b8ec9ad7edf62.PNG

On 5/17/2023 at 8:23 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

You'll be risin'
You'll find the note we left hangin'
On your door
You'll laugh when you read the part
'says we died waiting
'cause you promised U.S.T so many times before.....

What will be really hilarious is if I publish and no one responds. At all. 

(Please don't do that).  

On 5/17/2023 at 8:33 PM, Malacoda said:

(Please don't do that).  

I'm going to do it just to wind you up Rich. Remember, I've been posting long and detailed research pieces to absolute silence for years here, long before you (thankfully) arrived. It's only right that you suffer the ignominy of a full blown blanking too :devil:

On 5/17/2023 at 12:33 PM, Malacoda said:

(Please don't do that).  

This is obviously some specific definition of the word "hilarious" that I was not previously cognizant of...

On 5/17/2023 at 8:31 PM, Malacoda said:

I just tried looking for this.  Even searching for Battle AND 70 AND 9d AND Atlas, I still got almost 9000 hits.  It does get a mention in your journal, but the story of your Quest for Battle is not there. 

ft1.PNG.cc3dff69f1e53712973b8ec9ad7edf62.PNG

That's a nice graphic, isn't it. Where's the other half?

I couldn't find it either and I'm normally quite good at finding things on this impenetrable forum. I suspect I told the story in a private PM with some of the pence crowd here. A lot of the best stuff hides away in PMs actually. I paid a God Damn fortune to get that Battle in a live auction accompanied by Paul McCartney (the comic one). It was one of the best comic days out I ever had, and uncommon for me in that it involved other people

On 5/17/2023 at 8:43 PM, OtherEric said:

This is obviously some specific definition of the word "hilarious" that I was not previously cognizant of...

Come on Eric, you've hung around the English long enough to know what self-deprecating bastards we are.

On 5/17/2023 at 8:48 PM, Malacoda said:

Yeah, yeah, bring it on.  You won't be able to resist. 

image.gif.dec173062d79222b199d4c4a8d0fbbfc.gif

You may be surprised at what I'm able to resist when it comes to other people's research, Rich lol

On 5/17/2023 at 8:52 PM, OtherEric said:

The first time you resist something, I'll be surprised.  Is that what you're getting at?

Look, don't get all smart just because it's your birthday Eric. 

On 5/17/2023 at 8:44 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I suspect I told the story in a private PM with some of the pence crowd here

You tease telling the story a couple of times on this thread, so it might be here.  

Marvel UK Price Variants - Page 52 - Silver Age Comic Books - CGC Comic Book Collectors Chat Boards (cgccomics.com)

On 5/17/2023 at 8:55 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Found the other half!

20.PNG.0cb78704570879bc0ab5b6b4042fb2fe.PNG

That one took bloody ages.

So did this one:

PencePriceGrid.thumb.PNG.f5886f3017b0f732b7875582835dc507.PNG

See what dedication I bring to these forums?

That pence box pic is seriously making me have grown up feelings. 

image.gif.4c36efaa5e9b14983eb18e6e04145a12.gif

On 5/17/2023 at 8:55 PM, Malacoda said:

You tease telling the story a couple of times on this thread, so it might be here.  

Marvel UK Price Variants - Page 52 - Silver Age Comic Books - CGC Comic Book Collectors Chat Boards (cgccomics.com)

No, it was definitely in a PM. I remember now.

On 5/17/2023 at 8:59 PM, Malacoda said:

That pence box pic is seriously making me have grown up feelings. 

Well, you're only human Rich. And a nutcase. 

Anyway, I can't hang around here taking sheet with you lot all night. Criminal Minds is on and I want to see who this week's Unsub is. 

As of now, I'm in the wind!

(Got the wind more like)