• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,232 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2023 at 2:32 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

A nice T&P stamped Prize Black Magic #4 from 1961 on the bay currently - I have three examples in the files for this issue - very few others though:

Cover inspiration for Seven.... :eek:

I have the first 3 issues of this book, just checked and no stamps :( 

On 9/7/2023 at 6:16 PM, themagicrobot said:

The seller of this comic says "Only 1 exists". Dunno if he means he has the only copy remaining or simply means that No 1 was the only issue Arnold published. I do like the "ABChiller" logo though. If anyone is interested $2000 plus postage secures it.

ghostlyweird.thumb.jpg.b2868900b5847cce0d8a5dde0e117859.jpg

ghostlyrear.thumb.jpg.b5294f989f48aba8b0a0745760215217.jpg

abclogo.jpg.128faacc075ff12caea7d9c2dbf36077.jpg

Nah, this book keeps cropping up all the time, I am in the market for a copy to go with my original in my sig line.

I maybe bid on 1 every couple of months, the last one went really high at £211 see scan below, my budget was £100 and I had doubled that as missed out on a few just over the 50-60 quid mark.

A year or so ago I should have grabbed a copy, the cover is a classic and the original is real pricey now, so this may be the only way to own it now but his pricing is delusional.

I was thinking he meant this was the only slabbed copy but the census shows 6 blue and 1 resto

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.35726d23dbf85f15cdd642a4d730d11c.png

Edited by Kevin.J
add pic

On 9/7/2023 at 11:29 PM, Malacoda said:

I think he means it was a one-shot. It's 'the only one' as in there was never a second issue. 

Yeah, I am not sure, if he did mean that, he wrote it as a double bluff so it seems a lot rarer than it is.

Its not the way I would write it it I meant that.

Screenshot_1.png.de70fef72a55b93ebe10fe556e90c4fa.png

On 9/7/2023 at 11:37 PM, Kevin.J said:

Yeah, I am not sure, if he did mean that, he wrote it as a double bluff so it seems a lot rarer than it is.

Its not the way I would write it it I meant that.

I think you're right. He's being non-specific to make it sound super rare.  That said, he's in California.  I would imagine the number of these in the US is right around one. 

On 9/7/2023 at 11:48 PM, Malacoda said:

I think you're right. He's being non-specific to make it sound super rare.  That said, he's in California.  I would imagine the number of these in the US is right around one. 

Yep, and saying variant in the title rather than reprint, definitely keeping it woolly

He has 32 people watching it, he may just pull it off yet.

I think being in the US, he may have been better auctioning it rather than BIN, he would sell it at a nice price for sure 

On 9/7/2023 at 6:17 PM, Kevin.J said:

I have the first 3 issues of this book, just checked and no stamps :( 

One of those one off comics that found their way into the mix somehow. 

On 9/7/2023 at 8:06 PM, Yorick said:

WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!!

It's Jack. Isn't it?

On 9/10/2023 at 10:42 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Most expensive items listed are FF # 1 and Spider-Man # 1, at £4 each.

Seems very cheap now, but my first job was 11 years after that and I got £19 a week, so I bet £4 was a fortune in 1968

Its scary looking at old catalogues man :) 

On 9/10/2023 at 10:42 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Here is a copy of Derek Stokes' first sales list, from Winter 1968.

Wow  Thank you so much for posting this.  What a piece of history.  

If I could ever get them, what I would really love to see is a set of scans of Paul Gravett's Fandom Digest.  Apart from great articles and stuff, it was basically a sales catalogue, but (wait for it) he separated out ND from distributed, so it formed a checklist of everything known or believed to be non distributed at the time. 

If anyone's got any of these, please, please, please....

On 9/11/2023 at 7:16 PM, Malacoda said:

Wow  Thank you so much for posting this.  What a piece of history.  

If I could ever get them, what I would really love to see is a set of scans of Paul Gravett's Fandom Digest.  Apart from great articles and stuff, it was basically a sales catalogue, but (wait for it) he separated out ND from distributed, so it formed a checklist of everything known or believed to be non distributed at the time. 

If anyone's got any of these, please, please, please....

I will try to get a clearer scan, not up to speed with this new-fangled technology.

My abacus keeps going on the blink and the repairmen just suck their teeth and shake their heads.