• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,232 posts in this topic

On 10/29/2023 at 4:09 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Two! Two Amazing Spider-Man number forty 10d UK price variants with T&P 10d 3-numbered stamps with big circles around them! Ah-ha-ha-ha-hah!

Those are so close to the second hiatus I am desperately trying to concoct a scenario where they were leftovers that were added as makeweights (because IND were still supplying Marvel during the 2nd hiatus, just a very restricted supply). 

Which is just total cobblers because T&P weren't stamping comics during the second hiatus.  

On 10/29/2023 at 6:36 PM, Malacoda said:

Those are so close to the second hiatus I am desperately trying to concoct a scenario where they were leftovers that were added as makeweights (because IND were still supplying Marvel during the 2nd hiatus, just a very restricted supply). 

Which is just total cobblers because T&P weren't stamping comics during the second hiatus.  

That's why I post these things Rich. To wind you up :bigsmile:

On 10/29/2023 at 6:47 PM, Malacoda said:

image.gif.4cc763f8dddaaf8c4d328eeef571256c.gif

Give that Nolans link a whirl, Rich. Nothing soothes the troubled mind more than a Nolans record :)

Tales Of The Mysterious Traveler/Traveller (take your pick).

I have recently purchased a copy of the reprint album of this title, which Duncan's site dates to 1962.

The first story, Little Boy Blue, which has 6 pages in the original, has only 5 in the reprint (see attached scans). Page 5 is not present.

I cannot see any signs of a page having been removed, and in any case there would have had to be something on the other side.

I wonder, then, whether the reprint was accidentally produced in an incomplete form.

If anyone here has a copy to compare it with, that would clear it up.

Hope someone can help.

Link below is to the original US version.

https://ditko.blogspot.com/2009/11/unusual-tales-little-boy-blue.html

comictomt1.jpg

comictomt2.jpg

On 10/30/2023 at 5:57 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

I cannot see any signs of a page having been removed, and in any case there would have had to be something on the other side.

Spot on - it would have to have a full page something else too, to make the page sequencing work. Are there ads anywhere else in the book?

I don't know how this was bound, but is there a corresponding page missing on the other side of the book?

If not, it looks like that's how it was printed.

On 10/30/2023 at 6:02 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Spot on - it would have to have a full page something else too, to make the page sequencing work. Are there ads anywhere else in the book?

I don't know how this was bound, but is there a corresponding page missing on the other side of the book?

If not, it looks like that's how it was printed.

No ads, a few story pages, but all longer than 1 page.

Square bound, so no evidence of loss elsewhere.

I reckon it is an error in production, but unless we can turn up another copy, we may never know. :(

There are known unknowns, blah blah...........

On 10/30/2023 at 6:15 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

No ads, a few story pages, but all longer than 1 page.

Square bound, so no evidence of loss elsewhere.

I reckon it is an error in production, but unless we can turn up another copy, we may never know. :(

There are known unknowns, blah blah...........

This previous sale says 96 pages plus covers (making 100):

96.thumb.PNG.9676b9dd257de9c11fbe63deaefebadc.PNG

Get counting!

On 10/30/2023 at 6:34 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Can't find it now!

It has Mysteriously Traveled/Travelled, but it can't be far away....................

Flippin L!

On 10/30/2023 at 6:34 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Can't find it now!

It has Mysteriously Traveled/Travelled, but it can't be far away....................

Gottit!

Page count tallies, 96pp plus covers, meaning the dopes have printed it with a missing page.

So now we have advanced to a known known.

Reading through it, the missing part is fatal to the plot, as the continuity is destroyed.

And the B & W version looks very dull alongside the original.

Half a crown in 1962 would have got you Incredible Hulk # 1, AF # 15 and FF # 2, with enough left over for a Beano.

On 10/30/2023 at 8:56 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Gottit!

Page count tallies, 96pp plus covers, meaning the dopes have printed it with a missing page.

So now we have advanced to a known known.

Hooray!

And the B & W version looks very dull alongside the original.

Little Boy Blue Off :eek:

Half a crown in 1962

I always wonder how on Earth visitors / tourists coped with old money.  "It's so simple: there's two farthings in a ha'penny, two tanners in a shilling, two shillings in a florin and five shillings in a crown. " 

What the Hell does any of that mean?  It must have been a revelation when they came back after decimalisation: 

"This is a ten pence piece."

"How much is it worth?" 

"Ten pence" 

Morning :)

It's a rainy night in Blighty today boys. In fact, I believe, that it's raining all over the Englandville.

For those that failed to notice - or 'everybody', as we prefer to call them - yesterday was our 7th anniversary on the CGC comic forum. Seven years of Marwood and I.....   Well, six if you ignore Sparky's brief tenure (which most people either did or, quite rightly, aspired to. Including us).

It seems much longer, but in a another way, not that long at all. Or maybe somewhere in the middle.

Lot's of reversed avatars have been used over those years, before our Cynthia was settled upon. Here are but a few:

7th.thumb.PNG.4a06219adfd1ab0bdd97e35a3ccec8e0.PNG

Looking back, I suppose I've added quite a bit towards the wider understanding of UK Price Variants, what exists, and their distribution in the UK since I've been rattling away here. And a few other things too, to be fair, mostly of a variant nature. We do like a variation, being one ourselves. I could do an achievement list, but that would be a touch vulgar, don't you think? Marwood says "No, it's what every other f:censored:er in the hobby does". 

Anyway, is there another seven years in the tank, I wonder...?*

Morlar.png.5b26a535fc90f17eea86f1079abfb9dc.png

"We shall see"

GetCarter.gif.18e4a0be0e3be36fb3329699415adfe5.gif WithnailI.gif.c18a586c1c181d69054ce9c2cb35123c.gif

*In the name of all that is Holy, please NO!

On 11/1/2023 at 11:46 AM, Malacoda said:

The amount of times I try to find something out and it leads back to one of your posts is ridiculous. 

We've wasted our lives, Rich, dabbling outside the circle, being where others are not, flying in the face of popular interest. 

Then again....