• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,264 posts in this topic

On 12/4/2023 at 10:57 PM, Malacoda said:

@Get Marwood & I  To your point about colour variations in the pence vs cents print runs, check out the O. 

19 centd 4.jpg19 cents f.jpg19 cents.jpg

19 cs b.jpg19 cs.jpg19 cs.jpg

19 pv 3.jpg19 pv 5.jpg19 pv.jpg

19 pv2.jpg19 pv4.jpg

Yes, it's fun to try to work out what the printing order might have been using error copies like these. I was discussing the same principles over in the Jewelers thread the other week. It may do for others, but it doesn't change anything for me whether the pence covers were printed first, last or in the middle. They're all part of the same first printing production run. And no way of knowing with the guts, of course. I think I've proven how it differed over the years with the many examples I've posted, but it's not a big deal to me which came first.

On 12/4/2023 at 11:03 PM, OtherEric said:

To complicate the issue, there are US versions with the red O as well.  Although my super quick glance didn't spot any red O US versions with a stamp, I haven't really looked yet:

Good catch.  All the stamps I've seen are yellow but if there are red cents copies, there could be red cents stampies too. 

19 cs b.jpg

19 cs.jpg19 stamp & sticker.jpg

19 stamp 2.jpg19 stamp 3.jpg

Edited by Malacoda

On 12/4/2023 at 11:15 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

but it's not a big deal to me which came first.

Eric's point is very interesting to me.  I would think that if the UKPV's were all red and US cents copies were all yellow, then the stampies would all have to be yellow.  If there are both red and yellow US copies, and the PV's are all red, but the stampies are both red and yellow, that would indicate to me that the US cents copies sent to the UK were taken from (at least 2) different places in the print run, rather than that they were e.g. the first 5k cents copies, or the last 5k, or even 5k out of the middle.  If they were taken from different parts of the run, that would make it more likely that they were returns, but the stamping absolutely indicates the opposite.  If there are both red and yellow stampies of Iron Man #19, one of my treasured theories goes for a right Burton. 

On 12/4/2023 at 11:26 PM, Malacoda said:
On 12/4/2023 at 11:15 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

but it's not a big deal to me which came first.

Eric's point is very interesting to me.

It's not a big deal to me which books - pence or cents - were printed first within the first printing run. My comment was in relation to the longstanding 'what came first debate', not in relation to distribution.

On 12/4/2023 at 3:15 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, it's fun to try to work out what the printing order might have been using error copies like these. I was discussing the same principles over in the Jewelers thread the other week. It may do for others, but it doesn't change anything for me whether the pence covers were printed first, last or in the middle. They're all part of the same first printing production run. And no way of knowing with the guts, of course. I think I've proven how it differed over the years with the many examples I've posted, but it's not a big deal to me which came first.

One thing that I think lots of people forget is that, even if you can prove a print order for a specific issue, there's no evidence it was the same through the run of the title.  I'm pretty sure we've seen enough examples pointing to different orders that, in fact, it definitely changed at various points.

It's not a big deal which came first.  But it can be fun to try and figure out for a specific issue as a standalone logic puzzle.

(In response to the Iron Mans, now 2 above).  I like it.  It kind of makes sense.  If you did a print run starting with the lightest colour, you'd start with yellow and then add cyan to make green, so if they forgot to cyan that bit, it would stay yellow.  Is it me or does the yellow of the first one (the Iron Man logo itself) have a tinge of green about it too? 

Edited by Malacoda

On 12/4/2023 at 11:49 PM, OtherEric said:

One thing that I think lots of people forget is that, even if you can prove a print order for a specific issue, there's no evidence it was the same through the run of the title.  I'm pretty sure we've seen enough examples pointing to different orders that, in fact, it definitely changed at various points.

Yes, I know Eric. I posted most of them.

On 12/4/2023 at 11:49 PM, OtherEric said:

It's not a big deal which came first.  But it can be fun to try and figure out for a specific issue as a standalone logic puzzle.

Did I not just say that?

On 12/4/2023 at 3:51 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, I know Eric. I posted most of them.

Did I not just say that?

Sorry, not feeling great today.  I wound up more or less just rephrasing what you said.  I should probably lie back down.

On 12/4/2023 at 11:54 PM, OtherEric said:

Sorry, not feeling great today.  I wound up more or less just rephrasing what you said.  I should probably lie back down.

It's been one of those days, for sure.

Have a read of this Eric. It'll soon put you to sleep:

https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2023/11/06/marvel-uk-price-variants-my-part-in-their-downfall/

On 12/5/2023 at 3:38 AM, Malacoda said:

I've never seen this site before.  Check it out. ( Or am I the last person on Earth to know about it....this would not be the first time). 

Recalled Comics - Iron Man #19 Error Variant:

The site is well known to variant meddlers on this forum, yes. I posted the ASM #194 on the STL site for the first time back in the day. That's probably my old copy. Their description of the Iron Man #19 order of printing and 'correction' status - stated as fact - is based on unverified assumptions which may not actually be correct.

On 12/4/2023 at 11:50 PM, Malacoda said:

(In response to the Iron Mans, now 2 above).  I like it.  It kind of makes sense.  If you did a print run starting with the lightest colour, you'd start with yellow and then add cyan to make green, so if they forgot to cyan that bit, it would stay yellow.  Is it me or does the yellow of the first one (the Iron Man logo itself) have a tinge of green about it too? 

I think it's more likely that that part of the Cyan plate broke off or was obstructed. 

On 12/5/2023 at 9:24 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I think it's more likely that that part of the Cyan plate broke off or was obstructed. 

Very true.  Now it would all be programmed, but in the day it was all mechanical. Might have been slightly raised and not made contact. 

Nice hat, by the way. 

image.thumb.png.48856258d2cc9864906af7593601cd20.png

On 12/4/2023 at 3:55 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

It's been one of those days, for sure.

Have a read of this Eric. It'll soon put you to sleep:

https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2023/11/06/marvel-uk-price-variants-my-part-in-their-downfall/

I dig your email!  UKPRICEVARIANTS@whateverthatis.net

On 12/5/2023 at 12:24 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

The site is well known to variant meddlers on this forum, yes. I posted the ASM #194 on the STL site for the first time back in the day. That's probably my old copy. Their description of the Iron Man #19 order of printing and 'correction' status - stated as fact - is based on unverified assumptions which may not actually be correct.

I concur.  Stating "facts" that clearly cannot be verified, and generally has been dis-proven here.

On 12/5/2023 at 6:44 PM, Yorick said:

I dig your email!  UKPRICEVARIANTS@whateverthatis.net

Cheers Yoz. My first choice - CRETINSLONDON@whateverthisis.net - was already taken.

And thanks again for being the only person on this forum to read and comment on the wordpress article :)

Looking through the old Spidey files earlier it occurred to me that I can't recall ever seeing a SSM #2 with a T&P stamp:

33729-0.thumb.jpg.7d418469d24a2b3892f56a8c30ff5bef.jpg

Those two aren't mine - I lifted them from the on line.

There are plenty of stamped number ones to be found out there, but no number twos it seems. Go check your number twos, if you have one, next time your in the mood. Make sure it's from 1968 though, and not one resulting from last night's curry. I don't want to know anything about them ("Lo, this monster!").