• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,072 posts in this topic

Just now, themagicrobot said:

All part of the fun. Literally 2 minutes ago I decided my next quest would be some pocket sized Batmans.

Other titles are available: http://www.tonystrading.co.uk/galleries/tvbooks/worldadventurelibrary.htm

They're nice. I had my eye on the Mandrakes a while back. Always liked Mandrake.

Postcards.jpg.b919ba68a07dbe998b3934a1f03fe105.jpg

Good luck, Robot, with your pocket sized Batmans (thumbsu

Actually I see they are ridiculously expensive too. A  Superman pocket book for £1000 from India (with £19 postage). I already own the first 6 Batmans (purchased new at the time and never sold because nobody wanted them) and only discovered today there were actually 11. As a fellow completist you can no doubt feel my pain.

Perhaps I should sell my 6 Batmans for £1000 each and buy a new motorbike.

22 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

Actually I see they are ridiculously expensive too. A  Superman pocket book for £1000 from India (with £19 postage). I already own the first 6 Batmans (purchased new at the time and never sold because nobody wanted them) and only discovered today there were actually 11. As a fellow completist you can no doubt feel my pain.

Perhaps I should sell my 6 Batmans for £1000 each and buy a new motorbike.

Decisions, provisions... 

11 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

Talking of pocket books. Did you ever collect the UK Marvel ones. I still have FF and Chiller. There were also Hulk Star Wars  Romance and Spiderman at least.

I had a full set of the Spideys, yes. I liked the other compendium books too - I'll have to dig the old photos out as I can't for the life of me remember what to call them. So you know what I'm talking about I mean,  if you don't already. 

Talking of pocket books. Did you ever collect the UK Marvel ones. I still have FF and Chiller. There were also Hulk Star Wars  Romance and Spiderman at least.

I’m a big fan of Barry Windsor-Smith so collected his Conan ones. 
F3CA9EF6-DAF2-45FE-92F3-7F8D98481BFC.thumb.jpeg.4ab59da028d4d69e3ae49268fb5da8d1.jpeg

I digress but are BWS Conans the most reprinted comics ever? Off the top of my head I can think of Conan Saga, Chronicles of Conan, Conan Giant-size, Conan classics, UK weekly, Essential Conan, omnibus, epic collection, tempo Star paperbacks......

Edited by Garystar

It's odd that Marvel UK called them "Digests" in adverts yet "Pocket book" on the front of (some) covers. I still own all 28 issues of Chiller that (circa 1980 -1982) featured Man Thing and Dracula. It was the only time I ever sent off for a back issue directly from a comic company when I discovered I'd missed issue number 24. (The local newsagent was quite well-trained and used to save things for me in those good old long gone days but missed that one).

PS: There wasn't a Star Wars pocket book. It was called "Star Heroes" and doubtless there would have been X-men pocket books too. 

Chiller 24.jpg

I went to the Book & Comic Exchange in Notting Hill this morning, just for something to do really. I got lucky there once with some Charltons but no joy this time. They did have four of the Spidey pocket books though coincidentally. I was tempted.

On the way back I remembered I was supposed to bid on a comic on eBay but had no signal. As the train pulled into Edgware my mobile sparked into life and I logged on to find 18 seconds to go. I bid and won with a second to spare. Big outlay though, so maybe I'd have been better off missing it hm

Still, what else would I have spent the £2.20 on... :)

What did you buy from eBay for £2.20? An old Charlton I'm guessing although folks seem to be asking a fiver for most of them these days. Too rich for my blood. My new limit is one comic a day at a maximum price of £3. Seconds ago I won this for 45p. I thought I'd got a bargain (despite the poor condition) until I saw I'd been charged £2 postage.

Mystery in Space 13.jpg

4 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

What did you buy from eBay for £2.20? An old Charlton I'm guessing although folks seem to be asking a fiver for most of them these days. Too rich for my blood. My new limit is one comic a day at a maximum price of £3. Seconds ago I won this for 45p. I thought I'd got a bargain (despite the poor condition) until I saw I'd been charged £2 postage.

Mystery in Space 13.jpg

£2 aint bad! I got stung for £4 postage the other week. It came second class Large Letter with no card and in a recycled envelope. I calculated they made about £2.30 profit, the bar stewards.

I'll post my comic when it comes Robot. 

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

£2 aint bad! I got stung for £4 postage the other week. It came second class Large Letter with no card and in a recycled envelope. I calculated they made about £2.30 profit, the bar stewards.

I'll post my comic when it comes Robot. 

Bah,trouser change or found at the bottom of...

!!!!!!!!4.jpg

5 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

85p for a first class stamp? Soon be cheaper to deliver comics by drone.

Do you think they'll read them on route? You must have some insight, being a magic robot and all.

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Jim!

Thought you were dead. 

Who says I aint the undead?That's right,I've decided to dress new romantic and bring it back.Bela Lugosi's alive! 

giphy.gif

Join the cult of Jimdeders Steve,jooooiiiiinnn

I noticed an ebay seller tonight with a few RV stamped Charltons. I sent him a message on the off chance he might know who they were, where he bought them, that kind of thing. He said "Sorry, no, but I found this info on the web", and sent me an extract from my Charlton thread. 

It cheered me up I have to say, after an otherwise miserable evening online...:download:

5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I noticed an ebay seller tonight with a few RV stamped Charltons. I sent him a message on the off chance he might know who they were, where he bought them, that kind of thing. He said "Sorry, no, but I found this info on the web", and sent me an extract from my Charlton thread. 

It cheered me up I have to say, after an otherwise miserable evening online...:download:

That's super duper!Seriously amis,pretty cool.

giphy.gif

Further to my earlier ACG, here's another good example of a book that has been stamped to death:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.04871e22fa65aaf361f04ff666887045.jpg

The Popular Book Centre gets in on the act as usual :grin: