• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,084 posts in this topic

On 4/25/2024 at 12:40 PM, Malacoda said:

MMmmmm. And the Miller stamps are both 6d's which makes it look like they both got sent back to the wrong distributor but then re-priced and sent back out anyway, because....why wouldn't you?

I note 70 is a 1 but 74 is still only a 2.  The usual DC chaos. 

Indeed.

On 4/25/2024 at 3:33 PM, Malacoda said:

What do you notice about this?

How well the in-laws took a photo back in the day?

itmmeta=01HWDJ77R5YR602QNMFR0J42WX&hash=item2aca0fac07:g:MKAAAOSwbxpalfWY&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4B%2Fglx%2BKO5qe0VQhXGqNwSfAJGpqhV7GTKDQibMxvlH2YQq9m55aRmoyeqDrgmABbe5vg1vgTPN8fqM6Hr7dIBEzcVqHIAO0hMDLWJrXSXMz6fazDq76lOJlBH1sG7oMYKNS6kt1b8Zjm4XOxganTmWS35HPGs483DDxQ3bOCLxmXn5dOOly%2F4jpCTc%2BcB28jH3ORpZhpHH0f7yCgLsTseVqa30U1y0fjGD2yQv3kgGf0h1pSB091MiUJJ0yU%2FHh4cN5gqS7I2Zqnar2WWOuULR%2BhO01SolgcJ%2B2c2EwmQll|tkp%3ABk9SR5T8nLLjYw

The seller of this item (Action # 317) on ebay says it is a rare version, not the usual 10d one.

Probably true, all the other stamped copies on ebay right now are 10d ones, but here is one I got locally recently:

Also an 8d stamped copy of # 430.

And Ethel has positioned the stamp on both the #317s within a couple of microns of each other. That's what years of experience can do for you.

comicaction3179d.jpg

comicacton430.jpg

Edited by Albert Tatlock
add 1 line

On 4/26/2024 at 5:16 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183778651143

The seller of this item (Action # 317) on ebay says it is a rare version, not the usual 10d one.

comicaction3179d.jpg

The prices changed from 9d to 10d around that issue with the majority being 10d.

Capture2.thumb.PNG.8690d3daee6a1934edbd0089ae8dbc47.PNG

The linked copy is the one I have saved in the files, so it must have been on eBay for yonks.

Capture.thumb.PNG.926f155b53238c2d2290728f7575dfa3.PNG

It is a good issue in that it spans the increase from 9d to 10d, which makes it one of the issues that tells you that DC's carried on coming in right through the first Marvel hiatus and is therefore one of the ways you know it had nothing to do with dock strikes. However, I would be pretty impressed if this ebay seller was referencing that. 

......also noting with interest that both the 9d ones and the 10d ones are 5 stamps.  Mmmmmm. Interesting.

Edited by Malacoda

On 4/27/2024 at 10:08 PM, Malacoda said:

.....also noting with interest that both the 9d ones and the 10d ones are 5 stamps.  Mmmmmm. Interesting.

You have the same 9d copy up twice Rich. 

Assuming the manufacturer was asked to make them up new 10d stamps, the presence of the numbering indicates that it was still important operationally at this point. They could have just carried on with what went before without thinking I suppose. It likely was intentional though, as they would have continued with that months number if it still had operational meaning. 

On 4/27/2024 at 3:02 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

new 10d stamps, the presence of the numbering

except that one without the numbering.  just a big circle 10d  hm

Probably an after-market sale?

On 4/27/2024 at 11:05 PM, Yorick said:

except that one without the numbering.  just a big circle 10d  hm

Probably an after-market sale?

Who knows, Yoz. Miller occasionally used branded and unbranded 6d stamps. Maybe there was a reason for that, or significance to them, maybe there wasn't. I've not studied the ones that appear during T&P stamping runs to any great degree to reasonably determine if they are even theirs. 

On 4/27/2024 at 11:02 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

You have the same 9d copy up twice Rich. 

Indeed.  I think it came up a buttload of times.  I certainly captured it a few.  As you said about Albert's one (though that 9d and Albert's one are not the same comic). 

On 4/27/2024 at 11:02 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Assuming the manufacturer was asked to make them up new 10d stamps, the presence of the numbering indicates that it was still important operationally at this point. They could have just carried on with what went before without thinking I suppose. It likely was intentional though, as they would have continued with that months number if it still had operational meaning. 

Yes, yes and I believe it did.

On 4/28/2024 at 1:32 AM, Malacoda said:

Indeed.  I think it came up a buttload of times.  I certainly captured it a few.  As you said about Albert's one (though that 9d and Albert's one are not the same comic). 

I think you misunderstood me Richmond - in your post with all the copies, the first and last copies are the same 9d stamped image. I thought that was by mistake. 

On 4/28/2024 at 1:32 AM, Malacoda said:

Yes, yes and I believe it did.

Consensus! :yeehaw:

On 4/28/2024 at 6:20 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I think you misunderstood me Richmond - in your post with all the copies, the first and last copies are the same 9d stamped image. I thought that was by mistake. 

Indeed it was, you were correct. I try not to end up with these twice, but sometimes they hang around or come back so many times, you end up with it twice. You also made the same point so I was just adding to that.  Just tried to amend it and no matter how many times I deleted the picture AND the one in 'choose files' at the bottom, it just kept putting it back in.  Reached the point where literally anything seemed a better use of my time that fighting this website, so I just deleted the lot.  Didn't really need to paste them in the first place. 

On 4/28/2024 at 5:11 PM, Malacoda said:

Just tried to amend it and no matter how many times I deleted the picture AND the one in 'choose files' at the bottom, it just kept putting it back in.

The boards can be quirky like that sometimes Rich. Sounds like you tried this, but make sure you delete the image in the body of the post itself, but also in the 'choose files' field too (see below):

Capture.PNG.5d3c23abaa3d8ac142cf11092c298eb6.PNG

That usually does it.

I posted this over in the Alan thread, but those of you who don't go there might like to see it - or even buy it...

On 4/28/2024 at 6:44 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Classy item on the 30th Century website this morning:

https://30thcenturycomics.co.uk/british-comics-update-alan-class-printing-plate-set-sinister-tales-23

I'm sorely tempted, if only to spend 30 minutes on Zoom with the man himself!

ac1.thumb.PNG.fd91c9433234aa4d21803aa13cf2d91c.PNG
ac2.thumb.PNG.44d44bd5098d1e92ee4401f1747d2149.PNG

How cool would that be!

ACwithplatesetw.jpg.9dda819255e8c211f622d55c00331fdc.jpg

Great to see he's still with us, and looking good :)

On 4/29/2024 at 12:30 AM, Malacoda said:

Wow. Nice.  Yes, it would almost be worth the money just for the chat.  I have a horrible feeling that all the questions I would like to ask him, he would long have forgotten the answers to.  

Maybe we should put a few together and I'll send them to him, what do you think? If you haven't already seen it, there's a good interview in From The Tomb #18 and 19 which gives a flavour of what he remembers (albeit 20 years ago). And the 30th Century video interview from 2015 of course.

On 4/29/2024 at 6:30 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Maybe we should put a few together and I'll send them to him, what do you think? If you haven't already seen it, there's a good interview in From The Tomb #18 and 19 which gives a flavour of what he remembers (albeit 20 years ago). And the 30th Century video interview from 2015 of course.

I suspect his memories are as good it we'll ever get, but I'm not convinced he's a reliable narrator.  From the 2015 interview: 

Will: Were there any connections between yourself and [the other UK publishers of Marvel, DC etc] .

AC: No there were no connections whatsoever.  I didn't come into contact with any of them.  The only sad part was when Mr. Miller past away....they asked would you be interested in having a look at what was in the warehouse.  I said yes.  I remember being shown in and it was just like the vultures had been there. There was nothing at all.  So that was it, no, I didn't come into contact.  

However, right through the 60's, his comics were printed in Oadby by Jensons, which was owned by T&P.  It seems odd to me that having been asked if there were any connections to World, Miller and the other publishers, he doesn't mention this 12 year connection to Thorpe & Porter.  Either he's forgotten or he never knew that T&P owned Jensons. 

Maybe his memory just needs jogging. 

On 4/29/2024 at 6:42 PM, Malacoda said:

I suspect his memories are as good it we'll ever get, but I'm not convinced he's a reliable narrator.  From the 2015 interview: 

Will: Were there any connections between yourself and [the other UK publishers of Marvel, DC etc] .

AC: No there were no connections whatsoever.  I didn't come into contact with any of them.  The only sad part was when Mr. Miller past away....they asked would you be interested in having a look at what was in the warehouse.  I said yes.  I remember being shown in and it was just like the vultures had been there. There was nothing at all.  So that was it, no, I didn't come into contact.  

However, right through the 60's, his comics were printed in Oadby by Jensons, which was owned by T&P.  It seems odd to me that having been asked if there were any connections to World, Miller and the other publishers, he doesn't mention this 12 year connection to Thorpe & Porter.  Either he's forgotten or he never knew that T&P owned Jensons. 

Maybe his memory just needs jogging. 

Yes, there are probably fans out there who know more about the history of The Beatles than the two remaining members do. That's the way of it. It's one of the reasons that I've always taken donkeys years old recollections with a pinch of salt. Apart from people like Albert's of course, who wrote stuff down. 

On 4/29/2024 at 6:50 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Apart from people like Albert's of course, who wrote stuff down. 

Think I read not long ago that Alan Class turned up at one of Excalibur's sales, possibly as a potential buyer, maybe keeping an eye on items he had consigned.

Did anyone else hear this?

Unfortunately this was one of the things I neglected to write down, so no chapter and verse at present.