• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,135 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Malacoda said:

I think X men 25 is definitely out there as a 1/-  OP.   I think this is it, but too faded except for the 1/-

25 non gs cover stamp.jpg

Looks like the shilling only version to me.

Here's a 4c

1155680286_1966.10X-Men254pStamp.jpg.ff103189984a400ef52c168031a51f00.jpg

6 minutes ago, Malacoda said:

Gold stamp AND a sticker?  OK, maybe it's time to go outside, walk in the sunlight, talk to girls....

lol

More Daredevils

A one shilling #20 sitting next to an OP Shilling (I think) #21:

167493150_1966.09Daredevil20OneShillingStampExampleA.jpg.21949433695355be80f291b399e906af.jpg

And a different font shilling #22:

1554020149_1966.11Daredevil22OneShillingStampExampleA.jpg.f9f68748f5f0bb69e6cf5b64325919db.jpg

Updated table:

Capture.thumb.PNG.3a42638ac83c26991991be9fffe7817a.PNG

Now I'm going outside to talk to some girls...

43ddcd45-9176-4e1f-a08b-3dd2c25265bc_text.gif.e2edcfbea73de5bd4b96db3be5740572.gif

19 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Excellent, thanks again Mr T. I wasn't expecting that Showcase.

Neither was I. I never thought this would surface, as many collectors were hunting for this, without success, back in the day. There will definitely be very few of these surviving.

I had to buy mine from a Canadian dealer.

The number 1 stamp means it was a late arrival, as were the MGA and others mentioned in the 'bunching' comment.

if we can gather enough data points, we will be able to estimate the percentage of late arrivals, and whether it changed appreciably over time.

My guess is that the early months were the most haphazard.

I recollect buying from local shops comics that were long out of date, such as Superman  # 142, more than 12 months behind at the time, and Jimmy Olsen  # 53, about 6 months behind, but I had no way of knowing whether they had just arrived, having been delayed, or had arrived on time and remained unsold in the racks .It mattered not at all to me at the time.

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

lol

More Daredevils

A one shilling #20 sitting next to an OP Shilling (I think) #21:

167493150_1966.09Daredevil20OneShillingStampExampleA.jpg.21949433695355be80f291b399e906af.jpg

Notwithstanding that #20 is a UKPV.  Ahhhhh....that was my earliest issue of DD for years. Bought it at Dark They Were. 

By the way, re: your #21 stamp, Sue Storm called.....

20 pv.jpg

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

A pair here unstamped but stickered. I did upload a Thor  # 134 with an OP stamp some time ago, but I cannot now find where in the thread it is.

I see The Goblin found it - yours is the only example I have filed so far

Capture.thumb.PNG.ef1bd1132a38cfbdc5d5bfa13b7bcf1c.PNG

These 10d stickers look like bog standard stuff from Woolworth's stationery counter.

Next to the pick and mix as I recall :cloud9:

Neither was I. I never thought this would surface, as many collectors were hunting for this, without success, back in the day. There will definitely be very few of these surviving.

I had to buy mine from a Canadian dealer.

The number 1 stamp means it was a late arrival, as were the MGA and others mentioned in the 'bunching' comment.

if we can gather enough data points, we will be able to estimate the percentage of late arrivals, and whether it changed appreciably over time.

My guess is that the early months were the most haphazard.

I recollect buying from local shops comics that were long out of date, such as Superman  # 142, more than 12 months behind at the time, and Jimmy Olsen  # 53, about 6 months behind, but I had no way of knowing whether they had just arrived, having been delayed, or had arrived on time and remained unsold in the racks .It mattered not at all to me at the time.

The more examples we find, the more robust the conclusions. But the lateness factor will always be a fly in the ointment. For all we know, three successive issues bunched with a 1 stamp could be 1's from the second, third and fourth cycles respectively. Unlikely, but possible!

The Showcase #22 was news to both of us, and yet there it is, after all this time. It gives hope for the other issues that we've given up on, doesn't it :wishluck:

28 minutes ago, Malacoda said:

Notwithstanding that #20 is a UKPV.  Ahhhhh....that was my earliest issue of DD for years. Bought it at Dark They Were. 

Yes, we're starting to see quite a few of these stamps on Marvels in the UKPV date ranges. We've probably all rightly been concentrating on finding them for the missing UKPV issues, but what if we expanded the search and found them outside of the gaps in significant numbers? Could we find enough examples to put the 'they only exist because of the UKPV gaps' theory in doubt? The case you put together was compelling Rich, but what if the fact that these stamped copies exist is a complete coincidence? They exist for other publishers and dates don't forget, so maybe they have nothing to do with T&P's troubles, and the UKPV gaps are coincidental? 

28 minutes ago, Malacoda said:

By the way, re: your #21 stamp, Sue Storm called.....

20 pv.jpg

I know!

It's really difficult to spot, but it is there 1199706478_1966.10Daredevil21OPShillingStampExampleA.jpg.bdcf4321d831b90c24bcf8917308941c.jpg

45 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, we're starting to see quite a few of these stamps on Marvels in the UKPV date ranges. We've probably all rightly been concentrating on finding them for the missing UKPV issues, but what if we expanded the search and found them outside of the gaps in significant numbers? Could we find enough examples to put the 'they only exist because of the UKPV gaps' theory in doubt? The case you put together was compelling Rich, but what if the fact that these stamped copies exist is a complete coincidence? They exist for other publishers and dates don't forget, so maybe they have nothing to do with T&P's troubles, and the UKPV gaps are coincidental? 

I think there are makeweights.  I think T&P had volume deals with all their suppliers, but with Marvel they were obviously a lot tighter organised because the PV's were printed for T&P and had one useable point of sale only.  However, if they had leftovers, overspill, copies that were printed for a US wholesaler or retailer who didn't need or want them,  whatever, Marvel knew T&P could stamp them, therefore they had a guaranteed failsafe / backstop sale and I think T&P wanted as much as they could get their hands on.  

You're right, there are other publishers, but Marvel were in a unique boat.  They were screwed on their distribution deal in a way that no other publisher was and they printed specific runs of PV's for the UK market to a level that none of the others did.  So they had to be watching events at T&P far more closely than anyone else.  

You're right inasmuchas we see these stamps for other publishers and at other points in time ( I imagine they are completely generic John Bull stamps) but in what numbers?  You & I and our fellow boarders have looked through thousands upon thousands of comics (looking for all kinds of things) and how many comics have these stamps?  And of those, how many fall into the 66'ers? 

I agree that to an extent you find what you're looking for and miss what you don't, but let me ask your own question back to you.....

"Could we find enough examples to put the 'they only exist because of the UKPV gaps' theory in doubt?"

If we could, why haven't we? 

I appreciate we've targeted the known cover stamped issues but all of us have looked at zillions of PV's as well. When I went through Duncan's website, pulling up the one or two mistakes that are there (!) I spent as much time capturing PV's to prove they weren't cover stamps or Non D as I did looking for cover stamps.  Actually, that's a lie, not more time because the PV's were easy to find & the CS's were usually harder, but my point is there's a lot of comics where he says it's Non D or CS and I went trawling for PV's and did not find these anomalous stamps.   So far, these issues where there are stamps (of any description) as well as PV's are in a tiny minority.  

You might be right. I'm sure if we looked for more, we'd find more (that's practically axiomatic) but if there were significant numbers out there, why haven't we found more than this? 

I think if we look we'll find more, but I think they'll be the same issues over & over again. 

Because they're makeweights and 'Hey Fred, we've got some leftover Daredevils this month. You interested?' 

1 minute ago, Malacoda said:

You might be right. I'm sure if we looked for more, we'd find more (that's practically axiomatic) but if there were significant numbers out there, why haven't we found more than this? 

Because we weren't looking? Specifically I mean. I'm going to look, and will report back in 60 years :bigsmile:

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Because we weren't looking? Specifically I mean. I'm going to look, and will report back in 60 years :bigsmile:

Yeah, there's no end to it is there?  Let me ask something else to the group.  Whenever I bought Deadly Hands of Kung Fu  (which wasn't often because 25p was a massive sum of money), it was never a UKPV.  Always a US price and an oblong orange UK price sticker.  Are there David Gold distributed magazines  or comics from the 60's which have the famous oblong stamp we think is his? 

Just now, Malacoda said:

Yeah, there's no end to it is there? 

I was only jesting. There'll be one or two more I'm sure, but nowt systematic if the hours (years) trawling I've put in down the years are anything to go by. 

Just now, Malacoda said:

Let me ask something else to the group.  Whenever I bought Deadly Hands of Kung Fu  (which wasn't often because 25p was a massive sum of money), it was never a UKPV.  Always a US price and an oblong orange UK price sticker.  Are there David Gold distributed magazines  or comics from the 60's which have the famous oblong stamp we think is his? 

I'll have a look in the mag files and let you know. 

1 minute ago, Malacoda said:

Lovely. Ta.  Of course, it won't prove that other distributors weren't using the same stamp, but it will prove that Gold were. (shrug)

Nothing in my files Rich

For the 10d oblong stamp, I have examples only on Marvel, Charlton and Archie comics:

32crop.jpg.6ba991ab4413d77d6d108ace10ced8b6.jpg 947058218_1966.12TheShield41.jpg.587b1f85b5910af039c5364005f196a4.jpg

One sticker on this Lightning comic...

246578097_s-l1600(2).jpg.2006ab972a8f82a3b6d3453cfc934df2.jpg

...and a possible sticker lift on this Tower:

692211502_gspstickerremoved.jpg.a391443e20a7030942933d7b7ae302a3.jpg

I have examples of the sticker on the following magazines but no stamps:

dgs.thumb.jpg.c0f02b3a7f667409a001d62cf0007b4f.jpg 509632546_GoldStarStamp-Apr67.PNG.d162a019d23738a41dceca2699279421.PNG

gsp.thumb.jpg.1eef7ad2d6980f67ff4904456f8d4ce5.jpg