• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yet Even More Stupid Ebay Questions
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I had several people who were watching a listing of mine on Ebay. After about 10 days, I sent an offer to all these buyers. No one responded, so the offer expired. Can you send another offer to these buyers? If so, can you explain to me how to do it? I've tried and tried, but I can't get it to work. Plus, I have read MANY of Ebay's FAQs and other webpages, but I can't seem to find this information. I'm afraid that the only way to send a different offer is to cancel the original listing and relist the item again. I hope that this isn't the case, but ....

I usually list my items using Buy It Now. How long do you leave an item on Ebay before you attempt to make a sale by lowering the price?

Also, I have only done one auction, but the results were stellar.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-Omnibus-Volume-1-Hardcover-Stan-Lee-and-Jack-Kirby-OOP-/124230090539?hash=item1cecb0bf2b%3Ag%3A5ioAAOSw0t5e7pDL&nma=true&si=YLCQ1D%2F8jLXEeo6JomKlKm%2FBeo4%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I set a starting bid at $200, and I had a Buy It Now option for $350. I had NO idea that it would sell for an amount like this. I see many people start their auctions at $0.99; I'm just afraid that, if I offered a book that has a value of $15+, it could be possibly sold for $0.99.

There are things that I have listed that are really not generating any interest. What do you do to entice buyers to look at your listing, and then possibly buy it?

Thanks again for all the responses and advice. I planned on just asking about the offer question, but as I typed, several additional questions came to mind.

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

13 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I had several people who were watching a listing of mine on Ebay. After about 10 days, I sent an offer to all these buyers. No one responded, so the offer expired. Can you send another offer to these buyers? If so, can you explain to me how to do it? I've tried and tried, but I can't get it to work. Plus, I have read MANY of Ebay's FAQs and other webpages, but I can't seem to find this information. I'm afraid that the only way to send a different offer is to cancel the original listing and relist the item again. I hope that this isn't the case, but ....

I usually list my items using Buy It Now. How long do you leave an item on Ebay before you attempt to make a sale by lowering the price?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-Omnibus-Volume-1-Hardcover-Stan-Lee-and-Jack-Kirby-OOP-/124230090539?hash=item1cecb0bf2b%3Ag%3A5ioAAOSw0t5e7pDL&nma=true&si=YLCQ1D%2F8jLXEeo6JomKlKm%2FBeo4%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I set a starting bid at $200, and I had a Buy It Now option for $350. I had NO idea that it would sell for an amount like this. I see many people start their auctions at $0.99; I'm just afraid that, if I offered a book that has a value of $15+, it could be possibly sold for $0.99.

There are things that I have listed that are really not generating any interest. What do you do to entice buyers to look at your listing, and then possibly buy it?

Thanks again for all the responses and advice. I planned on just asking about the offer question, but as I typed, several additional questions came to mind.

I can't answer your first question, because I've only ever done it once/item.

I've left items up for 6 months after lowering it to my bare-minimum. Patience is a virtue (if you don't need the money).

It happens. I've seen plenty of $20 books go for $1-5 at auction. That's usually with no BIN option, though. Some people forget about low-start auctions.

You can't really force anyone to buy your product. You have to wait for an interested party to see your item(s). If you're talking about in-demand items that people aren't viewing, then make sure your listing title is complete with any/all relevant data. Like, "Spawn Origins #1" wouldn't have worked for me. "Spawn Origins Collection Vol. 1 Signed Limited Edition" adds more search terms that people are less-likely to completely omit.

13 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Good morning, Joe.  My understanding is that you can only send the BIN offer to new watchers.  Ebay is pretty loose in what they term new watchers, so if I were watching your item, unwatched it after the offer expired, then added it back to my watch list, you would be able to send me an offer again.  The only other way to send an offer would be if a potential buyer contacts you regarding the item, then you can make an offer through ebay's messaging system.  

As Capra said, patience is a virtue if you don't need the money.  Selling on ebay is a hobby for me, and the couple of the low amount I make on there definitely isn't keeping me afloat in my daily life.  However, I will occasionally scroll through listings and adjust prices or even end listings if I know there is no real interest.  I can't force anyone to buy anything.  My main focus is Transformers comics (Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW) so I'l sell some of those and usually doubles of other books I have.  I know the TF fan base when it comes to some of the comics.  I can get them to my listings, but I can't make them buy.  I would recommend that if you have slabs for sale, to try consigning through MyComicShop.  I just started doing that and it is relatively painless.  You can do a fixed price or auction.  Auctions can be feast or famine and that is a decision you'll have to make on your own.    

51 minutes ago, mec3437 said:

I would recommend that if you have slabs for sale, to try consigning through MyComicShop.  I just started doing that and it is relatively painless. 

Unfortunately, I'm not selling any slabs. I'm trying to sell some figurines, some raw comics like Futurama #1 - #80, and some collected editions (both softcover and hardcover).

I will heed your advice about being patient. I'm selling most of this stuff just to pare down my collection, and to make my room less cluttered. The money is nice, but we won't have to start eating "government cheese" if I don't sell a lot of books this month. When I started selling things, there was a flurry of activity. Now, it's one book every 3 - 4 days. I guess I was unrealistic thinking that level of activity would last indefinitely.

I do appreciate your advice.

I totally get trying to pare down the collection.  That's another part of what I'm working on.  You still have a good pace of one book every 3-4 days.  I hit maybe 5-10 sales in a good month.  When the COVID-19-related lockdowns started, I sold quite a bit.  Since states have been reopening, it has slowed down for me considerably.  Best of luck to you with everything!