• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT WOULD THE KID....

35 posts in this topic

I still remember watching a "Different Strokes" episode in my early teens where Arnold steals an ASM #1 that valued at $400 at the time. I used to think wow, $400 for a comic book?!

MR DRUMMOND: "All this commotion over something that is worth only... [glances at cover] ...12 cents!"

STORE OWNER: "It happens to be worth over four hundred dollars."

ARNOLD: "Whodja talkin' bout, lady?!?"

thumbsup2.gif

I still remember watching a "Different Strokes" episode in my early teens where Arnold steals an ASM #1 that valued at $400 at the time. I used to think wow, $400 for a comic book?!

MR DRUMMOND: "All this commotion over something that is worth only... [glances at cover] ...12 cents!"

thumbsup2.gif

I remember that now.... cloud9.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I just got flashbacks

The kid would be very happy with my collection of Amazing Spider-Man and Daredevil, but would be upset that I dumped the complete run of PPSSM that I collected back then.

He'd groan with embarrassment at the box of glut B/W indie comics like Samurai, Elflord, Dragonring, Shuriken, and other stuff.

He'd be very proud that I'd never sold the DD #1 I bought with my best friend from lawn-mowing money, and kept beyond that friend's eventual death from a drunk driver.

He'd laugh when he saw the ASM #14 I bought for $21 (and got made fun of by friend who spent $20 and got 20 comics and concluded that I'd been ripped off for only getting ONE comic).

He'd ask if I still had the pages of original art from the Conan-ripoff comic book I created when I was 12. I'd tell him I do.

I remember sneaking into the bedroom closet to read my brothers collection books from the 50-late 70s. Him and our cousin were "partners" in comic collecting (trying to make money)

I just loved the art the covers the splash pages the sense of action that the panels and words created. I learned how to draw from comics I would make my own comics that my parents would read and give me praise for my artistic skill which made me feel very good at the time.

Both my bro and cousin dont collect anymore I'm still here at 33 yrs old and I still have the same reason to collect the art from a by gone day, its not the new stuff it the old classic stuff from before I was born that I like just like the stuff in my brothers collection back in the day so I guess the 8 yr old would probally give me a thumbsup2.gif

who cares what that little monster would think about my collection now!! If you ever see that brat send him right to me cause Im gonna kill him for drawing all over my comics and folding them up and trhrowing them around the house (or losing them or giving them away) that most of em are Goods and VGs now!!! Ive had to buy them back over the years cause of his careless 8-year old attitude toward these fabulous collectibles!!!!

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but I think he'd be pretty amazed that almost every comic I owned before the age of 25 is still in the collection. The ones my grandmother bought me on to keep me quiet while she went to church on weekdays, the Harvey's and Wyatt Earp's my dad brought home from work, the ones I bought in collections with my best friend, and all of the ones from bookstores and cons that we nagged my parents to bring us to. What would he be surprised at---the number of Westerns, war books, and Archies I added to my collection and what a truly high-grade SA book looks like. He also might be pleased the I've pretty much recovered most of the DC's he sold like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person back in 1978.

who cares what that little monster would think about my collection now!! If you ever see that brat send him right to me cause Im gonna kill him for drawing all over my comics and folding them up and trhrowing them around the house (or losing them or giving them away) that most of em are Goods and VGs now!!! Ive had to buy them back over the years cause of his careless 8-year old attitude toward these fabulous collectibles!!!!

27_laughing.gif

Yeah, maybe we are being a bit sentimental here. I must have mentally blocked out the fact that I cut out 99 of the 100 Marvel Value Stamps to paste in the booklet, including the Shanna the She-Devil stamp from Hulk #181. foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif

Yeah, maybe we are being a bit sentimental here. I must have mentally blocked out the fact that I cut out 99 of the 100 Marvel Value Stamps to paste in the booklet, including the Shanna the She-Devil stamp from Hulk #181. foreheadslap.gif

But did you have fun doing it? The memory of working to complete that booklet must be worth the difference in price the MVS makes... poke2.gif

I think he would be amazed to find out that the early Legion comics he loved actually

came with covers,be saddened that many of his favorite books are now encased in plastic,be disappointed I no longer own my comic shops,yet be so distracted by video games and the like that the whole thing would pass.

I think he would be amazed to find out that the early Legion comics he loved actually

came with covers,

I love it! or to see what the fcvr logos looked like since their barber shop copies had had them cut off already. I remember begging my grampa to take me to the barbershop to buy the comics they had for kids to read cause that was the oonly place you could ever see "backissues". And how disgusted he was at the tought of actually paying MONEY for those hair encrusted dirty rags. Needless to say, the only barbershop copies I ever got were smugggled out carefully.

"Whoa, awesome comics, dude! Whoa, you play guitar! Whoa, what's that TV screen on your desk?!..."

"Yeah, yeah. Listen, kid. Here's a copy of Gray's Sports Almanac to take back wiht you. And remember one word: Microsoft. Wait, never mind, I'm tattooing it on your butt..."

"Wait, wait, before I go. Who's governor of California?"

Was flipping through my childhood longbox, and came across my copy of Godzilla 23. I remember picking that book up from my LVS(local variety store) in the summer of '79. cloud9.gif

When I came to this page.....the wave of nostalgia was almost overwhelming. 27_laughing.gif

1godzillavsjjj.jpg

Was flipping through my childhood longbox, and came across my copy of Godzilla 23. I remember picking that book up from my LVS(local variety store) in the summer of '79. cloud9.gif

When I came to this page.....the wave of nostalgia was almost overwhelming. 27_laughing.gif

1godzillavsjjj.jpg

My favorite part of that issue- Godzilla & Thor's game of "inside-out tug-of-war". thumbsup2.gif